The Black Seeds

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:28 am

I recently bought On the Sun from smokecds (along with Prototype, woot!) and it is a great album, too! Different again from their first two albums, but another great listen. Turn It Around and So True are my current favorites on the CD.

I've been having the best luck, CD wise. I love the last 4 CDs I've bought. That is an insane streak for me. :D It couldn't have anything to do with the people involved, could it? You rock FotC, Black Seeds, Video Kid! Mr. C and, of course, Mr. B...:hello: *L* :boogie: :lalala: :prayer: :partyman: :rolls:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:00 am

More details, please! How is it different? Is it an earlier or newer release?

*adds it to the list of CDs to buy*
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:03 pm

indigo_jones wrote:More details, please! How is it different? Is it an earlier or newer release?

*adds it to the list of CDs to buy*

As far as I can tell On the Sun is their 3rd album. Keeping on Pushing, Pushed, then On the Sun.
I’ve never been the best at describing music, but I’ll give it a go. :D
The feel of the CD is still definitely The Black Seeds :), but I find On The Sun to have a lighter or happier tone then Keep On Pushing. A little less reggae and a little more funk on some of the tracks. They have 3 instrumental tracks as well. One of the instrumental tracks I find to be more jazz then a lot of their other stuff.
By the way, Jones, check your PMs :wink:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

New Album

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:09 am

I was just reading The Black Seeds' website and this caught my eye(s):
In other news, The Black Seeds head back into the studio in October to continue work on their third studio album. The new album is once again being recorded by Lee Prebble at the Surgery in Newtown, Wellington and is due for release in early 2006. Bret Mckenzie and Tim Jaray have recently returned from Europe to continue work on the album and join the band for another summer of New Zealand and Australian touring.

Yay! A new album. Very exciting. :D Can't wait for that to come out.
And cool beans! They are touring in...New Zealand and Australia. Neither of which I have any hopes of making it to next year. Darn it! :cross: Ah well. :D

indigo_jones

Re: New Album

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:57 pm

Andria wrote:I was just reading The Black Seeds' website and this caught my eye(s):
In other news, The Black Seeds head back into the studio in October to continue work on their third studio album. The new album is once again being recorded by Lee Prebble at the Surgery in Newtown, Wellington and is due for release in early 2006. Bret Mckenzie and Tim Jaray have recently returned from Europe to continue work on the album and join the band for another summer of New Zealand and Australian touring.

Yay! A new album. Very exciting. :D Can't wait for that to come out.
And cool beans! They are touring in...New Zealand and Australia. Neither of which I have any hopes of making it to next year. Darn it! :cross: Ah well. :D

Well, we know what Bret's doing besides hopefully answering our questions!

Yay! A new Black Seeds album! Maybe while he's there in the studio he could record a few Video Kid songs? *wistful sigh*

Our summer or their summer? :wink: They really need to look into releasing concert DVDs or something. Hint, hint.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Re: New Album

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:03 pm

indigo_jones wrote:
Andria wrote:Yay! A new album. Very exciting. :D Can't wait for that to come out.

Well, we know what Bret's doing besides hopefully answering our questions!

Yay! A new Black Seeds album! Maybe while he's there in the studio he could record a few Video Kid songs? *wistful sigh*

Our summer or their summer? :wink: They really need to look into releasing concert DVDs or something. Hint, hint.

I think they probably mean their summer, being their sight is based in New Zealand. Ah...I just realized you were joking...:oops: Nevermind!
A concert DVD would be awesome! They should. You should go :hammer: and :stick: them until they agree...

Yes, yes! Record some Video Kid stuff! *joins Jones in a wistful sigh*

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:04 am

Every time I listen to Senegal Champions of Africa from On The Sun I have an uncontrollable urge to form a conga line (erm, something like that but more hip...) with whomever is around. Most of the time my cat is good enough to humor me. :boogie: Just thought I'd share... :eyelashes:

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:39 am

My copy has shipped, so I suppose my cats and dog should start limbering up!

djdeathskiss
Keeping it funky

Postby djdeathskiss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:26 pm

I hope that they are able to release something here in the States someday. Then they would have an excuse to tour!
"Of course i'm home; i'm always home. I'm uncool!" - Lester Bangs, 'Almost Famous'

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:52 pm

Oh, I'd love to see the Black Seeds live. I bet that's a fantastic fun show!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:11 am

indigo_jones wrote:Oh, I'd love to see the Black Seeds live. I bet that's a fantastic fun show!

Me, too. I'd love to see them live. Awesome show, I'd wager. :D

I've been listening to One The Sun quite a lot lately. I love it. :love: It conjures up such great images of summer fun. The beach, a starry evening, a bonfire (perhaps), a conga line (:boogie:). *sigh* Too bad Wisconsin summer is over. :cross:

conchordgirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby conchordgirl » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:12 pm

Forgive me if this has already been posted but here is a little article about The Black Seeds and they interview Bret.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/pictur ... click=true

--Nicole
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:17 pm

heh. I was coming here to post that, too!

I actually do like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, so I got a kick out of the idea of a Black Seeds morose dub ballad.

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:20 pm

oooh, and new Bret pic goodness as well. There are 7 members in that band...it is 2005...and all they want to do, still, is talk about the elf :arrow: (no, no. The other elf.)

Poor Bret, I wonder if he is getting ostracized from the group yet? :stick:
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:27 pm

Yeah, I thought about that, too, /me. I'm sure all of them, probably especially Bret, would much rather talk about what they're doing musically, rather than have a whole article rehash the Figwit thing.

Return to “Bret McKenzie”