The Black Seeds

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:33 pm

I guess some might have to register to read that article, so here it is:

The Black Seeds
Tonight at 8, Manly Fisho's, 9977 4800, $15.
Saturday, 8pm, @Newtown, 9550 3666, $27.

Kiwi dub stars the Black Seeds often get confused with the Bad Seeds on the internet.

"When you search on iTunes for the Black Seeds you get Bad Seeds stuff," says keyboardist Bret McKenzie. "I'm trying to get a project going with Nick Cave and the Black Seeds. We've always wanted to do a morose dub ballad."

It's unlikely the dark prince's bleak stage demeanour would gel with the Wellington

eight-piece's up-beat manner. Last year they released their second album, On the Sun.

Its blend of reggae, dub, soul and funk debuted on the Kiwi charts at No. 3.

But if a music career eludes McKenzie, he can always fall back into the world of the movie extra. McKenzie became an internet sensation after playing an elf in the first

The Lord of the Rings film. Despite having no dialogue and only appearing for a few seconds, a fan site was created (figwitlives.net). The site's creators dubbed him Figwit, which stands for "Frodo is great, who is THAT?!?"

"It's a great media phenomenon," McKenzie says. "In Wellington most people ended up on the film if you were the right shape.

I happened to be tall and thin and have an elfin look."

What is an elfin look?

"Kind of an androgynous and thin look. It's really cool. The ladies love the elves,

and not just the ladies."

Yet some Tolkien purists just didn't get the joke.

"The people who banded together to create this fan site thought it was really funny they were creating a site about this extra, an elf who is only on screen for three seconds. Some of the more staunch Tolkien fans were outraged, though."

Being a Lord of the Rings extra is big business, particularly on the lucrative convention circuit. An extra with McKenzie's notoriety could clean up.

"I'm definitely one of the more legendary extras," he says. "It's a pretty tragic fame, based on no skill or effort of mine. I ended up doing the third film.

"They got me back to do a line due to my popularity as an elf. I asked Liv Tyler to hurry up. She wasn't there, though; they cut me in."

His on-screen dialogue lifted him above the extra poverty line. The musician and member of comic duo Flight of the Conchords has invested the money wisely.

"You get paid a lot more when you get a line - I think I might have cleared $800.

"I've still got a little of that left over. I invested it in a school for children who want to be extras. The budget's tight, though."
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:44 am

Thanks for posting that article Nicole and /me! I hadn't read it before. I do find it amusing that they spend half the article talking about Figwit. :que: Those interviewers aren't focusing on the issues.

On Edit: Oops. :oops: And the issues are: Why haven't the Seeds come over to America yet and does Bret want a proper a bunch of group concession kisses when they do? :roll:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:56 pm

I can't tell you how much I love their song "You Get Me". :lalala:

Every time I hear it, especially the chorus bit, I just start dancing and bopping around, even when I'm sitting down. So much fun!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:30 am

^ I love that song too! It is one of my favorites off On the Sun. That whole album is stuffed full of great tunes. The guitar chorus bit in "You Get Me" is quite catchy.

I'm really liking "Lets Get Down" as one of the more mellow songs on the album. I want to close my eyes, nod my head and tap my foot to the beat. Great music to just experience. :)
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:03 pm

Turn It Around is also really good as a more mellow song. I particularly love the beat of it and the piano bit -- and what do you know, that's Bret on both. I don't like the song because it's specifically him. I just like it and he happens to do two of the parts I really like.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:22 am

I've been trying to figure out my favorite song from On the Sun. Why? Because...I've run out of Video Kid material to analyze and have too much free time? (Free time?! Whahaha...what a concept this week.)
I've discovered that I cannot pick one. It is not possible. I will decide that Turn It Around is the one, then I will listen to So True and I change my mind. I've narrowed it down to Turn It Around, So True, Fire, Lets Get Down, You Get Me, Senegal Champions of Africa and On the Sun. :D What does that say about the album that 7 out of the 11 songs are my favorite? Or what does it say about me that I can't decide? :que:

I love the dedication from On the Sun. Let me share with those poor souls who don't have the album (it is awesome! you really should ask for it for Christmukah.)

ON THE SUN DEDICATION
"TO ALL THOSE WHO PRANCE, DANCE AND MAKE ROMANCE FROM WELLINGTON NEW ZEALAND TO PARIS FRANCE, JOIN US AS WE CONTINUE OUR SACRED QUEST FOR THE LOST BOOGIE SCRIPTURES.

PUTTING PAID TO WACK CLONES AND POP TART BITCHES.

DRY YOUR TEARS AND CEASE YOUR FEARS, TAKE YOUR VITAMINS AND SAY YOUR PRAYERS, SHINE YOUR SHOES AND TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS LIKE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO, SPURNING WHAT IS FALSE AND EXALTING WHAT IS TRUE.

SIT BACK, UNWIND AND SET THE CONTROLS FOR FUNK FACTOR 9

CAPTAIN ELECTRIX (THE MOST EXXENTRIC)

COMING TO YOU FROM BOOGIE HQ

SOMEWHERE DEEP INSIDE MOUNT BOOM

WELLINGTON, DECEMBER 2003"

Please note that I do not usually type in all caps, but that is how the dedication was written. :D I love the Mount Boom. :rolls:

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:51 pm

What Andria just said? Yeah, the same for me. Same inability to pick a favorite, pretty much the same favorites, and I flove the dedication!

Really, you should all get this CD. It's boomtastic!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:28 am

^ Hey, stop copying me! :wink::D

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:30 am

For those of you curious to hear some Black Seeds and even see a video, go here.

Great music and cute guys. What more can a girl (or guy of that persuasion) ask for?

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:38 am

indigo_jones wrote:For those of you curious to hear some Black Seeds and even see a video, go here.

Great music and cute guys. What more can a girl (or guy of that persuasion) ask for?

More Video Kid material?

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:41 am

Sadly no. I checked and no Video Kid videos. Oh, the irony!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:07 am

indigo_jones wrote:Sadly no. I checked and no Video Kid videos. Oh, the irony!

Why, unsystematic-series-of-events, why?! :witsend:

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:14 am

I know! I just about hyperventilated when I realized there was the slight possibility! You can well imagine my disappointment! :cry:

Oh, they do have the Dawnskate-88 track, however (song only), but it turns out it's the "Video Kid" song, not "Dawnskate". Odd.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:19 pm

I found a picture of Dub Connection (yet another band Bret is in, along with a number of people from the Black Seeds) here. (That's the back of Bret on drums, I believe.) Unfortunately, I can't get the audio link to work for me yet. I'm holding out hope that it will work in the near future.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:38 pm

I've never been able to get the music or videos from that site to play. :cry: I don't know what I'm doing wrong! :puzzled:

Return to “Bret McKenzie”