Fancy a day at the races?

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
FanBase
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby FanBase » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:27 pm

cassandrasnow wrote:I can't believe Bret will be there. I wish I lived in Melbourne. I'll just have to wear my fascinator and watch the tv all day. It's the next best thing.

Thanks for posting this Sherry. :D

I checked out that site about the race and couldn't resist looking at the fashion section. :eyelashes: I was wondering what you meant by "fascinator." I get it now...it's a hat! :wink:

I'll stay posted for your update on the race. Thanks bunches and enjoy!
"That's not a fan base, that's just a woman."

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:15 am

A fascinator is not quite a hat. It's less than a hat in terms of size. Usually has feathers, flowers etc, sticking up. It's held in place with a comb.

I've been watching the news all day.... They predicted rain for this morning (ideal Sculptor weather) but it hasn't rained. :( Everyone on telly is rejoicing about the sunny, dry weather. I'm not happy about that at all.

Still watching for a McKenzie sighting... will let you know asap. I'll be on here during the race, attempting to type as fast as I can to give you updates.

The race starts in 166 minutes from posting this....

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:13 am

They just interviewed Lisa Cropp. She said she was very realxed (in fact she was in her silks, reading the Woman's Day in the dressing room). She seemed very calm.

It's really cool because there are two female jockeys riding this year and one of them will be riding Sculptor.

About 50 minutes to go. Still no rain, but it's very cold. I'm wearing a jumper and it's November (usually it's very humid 'singlet and shorts' weather now).

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:39 am

Not long to go now...

They just did the official announcement of all the jockeys. When Lisa came out there was a really audible loud whistle from someone in the crowd.... could have been a McKenzie whistle but it's all speculative at this point.

3 horses have been scratched so only 21 are in the race now. Sculptor is still good.

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:54 am

A commentator just said, about Sculptor, "He's one of the best roughies going in the Cup this year". (Sherry - what does that mean?)

We have confirmation that Sculptor is a boy. They're all heading out to the track now. Sculptor got a lot of good comments as he and Lisa Cropp were making their way out onto the track area.

Just minutes away now....

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:01 am

In the cage things now - ready to begin....

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:02 am

Sculptor currently 2nd....

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:03 am

Now 3rd....

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:06 am

All over... just at the last minute Purple Moon and Efficient came out of nowhere.

Peter should be so proud though. Sculptor did so well.

Hope you guys enjoyed my live WTF coverage of the Melbourne Cup.
Now I'll be looking for pics from the after parties....

Katie

Postby Katie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:11 am

3rd out of 21 is not bad at all. Job well done to Sculptor.. and thanks Cassandra for the updates.

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:25 am

Sorry, I should have clarified it sooner.. but it's taken me a while to find the exact results online as all the websites are jamming.

Unfortunately Sculptor did not make it into the top 3. I think I heard them just say that Sculptor came in at 9th place but I'm not sure.

FanBase

Postby FanBase » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:10 pm

Cheers to Sculptor! :clap: 9th isn't too bad either. I missed the instant play-by-play, but it was quite riveting just to read it. Good job Cassandra. I appreciate the time you took. :D

saffymatt

Postby saffymatt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:29 pm

Thanks to WTF and Cassandra, my husband impressed a client from Australia today with his knowledge of the winner of the Melbourne Cup. His client was impressed that he kept up with that. Yesterday he was mocking me because we were talking about a horse that Bret's dad owned, but now he is glad that we do the crazy things that we do. :wink:
Set your Phasers on Funky!

FanBase

Postby FanBase » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:23 pm

saffymatt wrote:Thanks to WTF and Cassandra, my husband impressed a client from Australia today with his knowledge of the winner of the Melbourne Cup. His client was impressed that he kept up with that. Yesterday he was mocking me because we were talking about a horse that Bret's dad owned, but now he is glad that we do the crazy things that we do. :wink:

Aha! Great news! See...and they [the misters] have the audacity to mock us. :eyebrow:

FanBase

Postby FanBase » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:25 pm

I propose the McKenzies' next horse be named, "Boom King." :horse:

Return to “Bret McKenzie”