Banter About Bret

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: Banter About Bret

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Memories fade. We mustn't allow it. If you've had the pleasure, have pity on me and take a minute and tell me a few little things you remember about meeting Bret.

I remember his voice, the accent. It sounded ever so slightly strained. He was so calm and happy. He was very chatty and I remember a couple of times he and I both started talking at the same time. :oops:

He looked at my chest. :waggle: Well, ok he only noticed my zebra shirt, but still. He notices things, doesn't he?

He was so very good with my kids. Got right down there with them and made them feel so special. :heart:

He is so tall, it literally surprized me. His handsomeness took me a bit by surprize as well. He really did look even more amazing in the mist under the pale light of a Chicago streetlamp than on tv or in photos.

I was all rushing and worried that I was wasting his time, and he was the opposite. He was taking his time, even stopping and thinking about what to write, draw, say.

He carried his own stuff to the bus. 8)
Image..Image..Image

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Awww Nonch. He is such a sweetie. Not to mention sexy & handsome too. Think U.K., :cheer: U.K., :cheer: U.K., :cheer: U.K. The corn girls will make quite the showing hopefully in about 5 months :D

Can't wait to meet Bret. I am so looking forward to that. I love reading about everyone's meet n greets, it's so fun. It certainly carries me through until we hear of their next project, tour or appearance.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:05 pm

I've never met him (technically, I've never met Jemaine either) but I like reading about everyone's stories. So carry on.

songbird

Postby songbird » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:32 pm

He's REALLY tall. I was shocked. In a good way :D

His hair is MASSIVE :lol: way bigger than I ever thought it would be. It was just asking to be ruffled (not that anyone did it...although I wouldn't have been surprised after witnessing the Jemaine butt-cupping incident...)

He is a total sweetheart :love: I'm not 100% sure but I think his mom might have been in town on the night of my show (someone correct me if I'm wrong...), but he came outside anyways in the flipping freezing cold, still managed to meet with fans, and then ran off about half an hour earlier than Jem onto the bus (probably to be with his family, if they where there, which they might not have been, but for some reason I think thought they were...)

He's uber smiley. He has a huuuge smile and he was adorably happy the whole time :love: When I took a picture with him he voluntarily just threw his arms around me and my sister. I melted. :rolleyes:

His eyes are even more gorgeous in person and I was shocked at his handsomeness. He was the first to come outside, Jem didn't come out for like another 20 minutes, and I was so excited I didn't even know what to do with myself. Thank god I kept my decibel levels normal when I talked to him. :lol:

Wow, holy moly, I'm short of breath just writing this all out!! It's bringing back such exciting and special memories...awww, how I love to reminisce. I feel like my description doesn't do the whole encounter justice at all, it's so hard to explain unless you were there.
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:07 pm

When he came out in Detroit, it was late. After 1 am and he was so very tired. Yet he took his time with all of us, chatted, posed, talked to people on cell phones, and was generally a sweetheart. I too was surprised at how tall he was and also that he wasn't as small as I expected. I can't explain exactly what I mean by that....I expected more of the weedyness, I guess, but there was none of it! No shyness either!
I can't say I was bowled over by him because we all know my heart was set on meeting Jemaine....but Bret was just wonderful. So down to earth, just a sweet guy you'd like to hang out with. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:29 pm

4everconchordsfan wrote:Awww Nonch. He is such a sweetie. Not to mention sexy & handsome too. Think U.K., :cheer: U.K., :cheer: U.K., :cheer: U.K. The corn girls will make quite the showing hopefully in about 5 months :D

Can't wait to meet Bret. I am so looking forward to that. I love reading about everyone's meet n greets, it's so fun. It certainly carries me through until we hear of their next project, tour or appearance.

Ditto! :D

I honestly enjoy reading every single detail of people's experiences meeting Bret and Jemaine so please keep them coming! :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Oh man, I'm loving this. :heart:

Did I mention that I like details? Any little thing. What he was wearing. What he said. Did anyone have the presence of mind to ask him questions? What were the answers? (yeah, I'm looking at YOU sunnyringo. :wink: )

I don't think I saw B & J talk to each other at all during the whole meet and greet. :hrm: Was that everyone's experience? Did anyone else get fed? :lol:

Two ladies made a chair for Bret with their arms clasped and lifted him into the air, so he must be fairly weedy. :lol: I agree that he is most definitely NOT shy.
Image..Image..Image

songbird

Postby songbird » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 am

I have an entire account of what happened written in the Toronto April 22 thread...though it's not as detailed as it could be. Maybe we should start a thread for our explanations of our encounters? Or is there one hiding out somewhere around here?

Image Image

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:35 am

It's really nice reading your accounts on meeting Bret. I wish I had one to share... :sosad:
songbird wrote:I have an entire account of what happened written in the Toronto April 22 thread...though it's not as detailed as it could be. Maybe we should start a thread for our explanations of our encounters? Or is there one hiding out somewhere around here?
As you say songbird, a lot of it already apears in the original tour threads. I'm not sure it's worth starting another thread. For now, as long as you stick the guy in question in the thread name, I think you're fine. It could also be fun to go back and quote the original post from back then, and comment on it. Just a thought... :dunno:

songbird

Postby songbird » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:55 am

Good idea Suzy!

This is copy-pasted from the archives, I wrote this description probably about a week after the show right when I decided to join WTF. What a good decision I made :D Here's what I wrote:

We ended up getting amazing spots in line - on the side that was slightly further from the door but right in the front. We were also on the side of the door that when it opened, you couldn't see who was going to come out, so whenever the door opened, everyone on our side of the crowd would gasp in anticipation, only to be disappointed when it wasn't Bret or Jemaine. It was actually pretty funny Eventually, the door opened, and the other side of the crowd (the side that could see who was coming out of the door) all exclaimed "BRET!!" And lo and behold, out comes Bret, smiling happily, not hesitating at all and jumping right into the crowd to sign autographs and take pictures. You could tell he was in a bit of a hurry. He finally got to our side of the crowd after he finished with the other side, and I quickly thrust out a piece of paper and asked if me and my sister could have his autograph. He smiled (that SMILE!! AAH!!) and happily signed his autograph for us, and then when we asked if we could have a picture with him, he said "of course, I don't mind at all!" and he came right in between me and my sister, PUT HIS ARMS AROUND US (hyperventilation occurred) and took the picture with us. It was unbelievable!! We didn't really try to chat with him after that, we knew his family was in town that night and that he was in a hurry, and didn't want to hold him up. Maybe next time I'll get to talk to him more.

I remember having to wait for what seemed like ages while he met the whole side of people on one side of the door before he came to ours. The wait was AGONIZING! (god I sound so selfish, others should get the chance to meet with Bret as well...)

Image Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:33 am

Boy, what a difference a year makes! I met Bret in May of 2008 after their first show in NYC, the second night of their tour. Only about 25-30 folks were hanging around, no barricades. Todd Barry came out and chatted for awhile, Sarah Silverman showed up, they went backstage for awhile, and suddenly we heard commotion at the other stage door entrance - there they were! There were so few people it didn't take long to get to them. I got to meet Bret first, and as I said hi, we shook hands - that beautiful right hand right there, in mine. :thud: What a firm, solid handshake - I'll never forget it. And all that hair - this was Tuesday, and on Thursday he had all of his hair cut off, so I got to see him long-haired. :D
The first thing he said to me was "I love your sweatshirt" (See my Conchords Sandwich that SW made with my Bi-Conchordian award)

I didn't want a photo or an autograph, I just wanted to talk to them.
I told Bret I wanted to thank him for making the world a funnier place, and he graciously said thank you. I told him I was a member of WTF, and we talked a little about Sherry, how good the site was, etc.Then he went on talking about how really tired he was, that he wasn't kidding when he mentioned it during the show. (In the show, he said he was tired, and proceeded to take a nap inside his guitar case while Jemaine sang Bret, You've Got It Going On) And then he said so long as he went to greet some other people.
And then I met Jemaine, but that's for another thread..... :silence: :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:52 am

Nancy wrote:Boy, what a difference a year makes!

What do you mean by that? Was he different than previously described?

I love that he noticed your sweatshirt. :heart: Sounds like you had your shi together. Yea Nancy!!! IN his guitar case?!?! :roll2: I love it.
Image..Image..Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:10 am

I meant that there were sooo many more people in 2009 waiting to see them after the shows. No, I don't believe either of them were different, they were always gracious, according to folks who met them all along the tour. I just meant the size of the crowds waiting had changed. But it was to be expected, given the TV exposure.

Meeting them stands out as a favorite memory for me. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:38 am

I just rewatched The Third Conchord episode. Bret's angry dance is my favorite part of the entire HBO Flight of the Conchords series. :worry: Don't tell Jemaine. :shhh:

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:35 am

New from hbo.com

Return to “Bret McKenzie”