Of Ukeleles, Tolkien, Garfunkel and Bond: A Chat With Bret

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Of Ukeleles, Tolkien, Garfunkel and Bond: A Chat With Bret

Postby Venus » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Of Ukeleles, Tolkien, Garfunkel and Bond: A Chat With Bret McKenzie of Flight of the Conchords
By Nicole Campos in Interviews
Thu., Oct. 29 2009 @ 1:24PM

Brian Tamborello
McKenzie (front, with Clement) rides the folk train

​
October is Folktober for fans of New Zealand's fourth most popular digi-folk parodists, the mighty Flight of the Conchords; following the second season of their acclaimed eponymous HBO show, which bagged several Emmy nominations including one for Best Comedy Series, Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement last week unleashed I Told You I Was Freaky, a collection of tracks from their second season plus some classic nuggets that longtime fans will recognize, busting at the seams with their trademark brand of folked-up funk and terrifically clever lyrics. (It's impossible to overstate the anthemic genius of "Too Many Dicks On the Dance Floor," surely the greatest protest song against being cock-blocked while clubbing since... well, ever.)

We spoke with McKenzie via phone from New Zealand (Clement, presumably, is off doing press for his starring role in Gentlemen Broncos, which opens Friday), to discuss, among other things, the album, that oft-rumored third series of the show, and the thrill of getting one of your idols to do a role you wrote especially for him.

Read the full interview here: Source

:yay: What a great interview! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

closet jemainiac

Re: Of Ukeleles, Tolkien, Garfunkel and Bond: A Chat With Bret

Postby closet jemainiac » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:24 pm

:D He's such a cutie patootie!

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Looking at the tracklist for the album, it does play in large part as a soundtrack for the second season of the show, but there's still a wealth of material going back a long way to your early days as a group. "Petrov, Yelyena and Me" is one of your very first tracks.

Yeah, that's a really old song. That was back in the day when we only knew three chords... There's still a few [older] songs, but many of them are completely unusable. A few songs that we couldn't get into the TV show, they didn't fit the format. There's one called "Spanner" that's sort of a Western epic, but it requires... the characters in the song are one man and his doppleganger, and they end up becoming lovers. Unless we animated it, it didn't really fit into the Lower East Side world of the show. If we do another album, I think we'll have to start fresh pretty much and come up with a whole bunch of new songs.

And it's still up in the air at this point whether there's going to be another season of the show?

Yeah, we're gonna decide this month, I think. We toured the States earlier this year, and we're touring Europe next year. We're still undecided, but whatever the case we'll need a lot of songs whether it's an album or another series. I think it would possibly be "the difficult third album." Do they say the third albums are easier or harder?

Haha, I think they must have heard him wrong over the phone, he appears to be talking about Stana there...for a minute I was like, "ooh, a song I've never heard of!" but then I realized what was going on.

So it looks like soon we'll finally have a concrete answer on the possible third season. I'm not sure how I feel about that...I guess although I've said that I'm not sure whether or not I want a third season, it never really hit me that there'd actually be an answer to the question.

Great interview! Bret's adorable :D
And I might be wrong, but I remember there being a similar conversation somewhere on WTF! about the Conchords doing a Concord tour :lol:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Great interview! I admit to being disappointed that no announcement was made...... :whistle:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:56 pm

He's so adorable. So adorable!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:02 pm

I'm quoting him on this re: the UK tour next year:
"We're gonna go there next year" 8) :wink:

Their winter is our summer no?
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:12 pm

Me too, SW ;)
Yep NZ/Australia's winter is basically our summer. Another reason to doubt an 'early 2010' tour.

songbird wrote:Haha, I think they must have heard him wrong over the phone, he appears to be talking about Stana there...for a minute I was like, "ooh, a song I've never heard of!" but then I realized what was going on.

So it looks like soon we'll finally have a concrete answer on the possible third season. I'm not sure how I feel about that...I guess although I've said that I'm not sure whether or not I want a third season, it never really hit me that there'd actually be an answer to the question.

Great interview! Bret's adorable :D
And I might be wrong, but I remember there being a similar conversation somewhere on WTF! about the Conchords doing a Concord tour :lol:

Yep I remember the convo on here about Conchords doing a Concord tour because they mentioned doing that in an earlier interview. That could be quite cool after they tour Europe ;)
&

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:44 pm

Maybe it'll be in August so we could take the month of August off. :lol:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:28 am

Bahahaha! Hopefully it will be, V. I'm planning on saving up my tax refund and commuting a whole other year at University so I can afford to go...so they'd at least better tour when I'll out of University for the summer!

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:58 am

Now that's an awesome interview. So interesting to see Bret and Jemaine doing these things on there own. Not together completing each other sentences and what not. I like it. :D They are good together and separate.

I'm going to be doing the same thing as you Kelly. Saving my tax return if I get a good one! :pray:
ImageImageImageImage

Jinnerz
New arrival

Postby Jinnerz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:21 am

ha i love the idea of a Concord tour. i've read about it before but I love that it's actually a real possibility.

another great interview. Bret's adorable.
Oh, We'd just grab a sandwich and put it in our mouths. That's the only way to have sandwiches.
Oh Jenny, tell me do you still walk? Do you still get into sandwiches in a big way?

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:10 am

I propose we list all the cities named Concord and forward it to the guys! hehe!

There's a Concord, MI!!!! :D

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:12 am

There is a concord,Texas!!! :yay:
ImageImageImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:20 am

Apparently there's a Concord in Sunderland, England :lol: There's also 'Place de la Concorde' in Paris so it would be very cool if they played somewhere in that area :D

List of places called 'Concord' according to Wikipedia:
Australia
Concord, New South Wales

Canada
Concord, Ontario

New Zealand
Concord, New Zealand

United Kingdom
Concord, Sunderland

United States
Concord, Alabama
Concord, California
--Concord (BART station)
Concord, Delaware
Concord, Georgia
Concord, Illinois
Concord, Indiana
Concord, Kentucky
Concord, Maine
Concord (District Heights, Maryland), listed on the NRHP in Maryland
Concord, Massachusetts
--The Concord River
--The Battles of Lexington and Concord in the American Revolution
Concord, Michigan
Concord, Missouri
Concord, New Hampshire, the state capital
Concord, Staten Island, New York
Concord, North Carolina
Concord Motorsport Park
New Concord, Ohio
Concord, Tennessee
Concord, Texas (several)
Concord, Vermont
Concord, Virginia
Concord, Wisconsin
Concord Township (several)

Source
&

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:23 am

CONCORD MICHIGAN!! Woop woop!

Someone should send that information to them. Because I would really love a Conchords Concord Tour...It would be so...Flight of the Conchords ;)
Last edited by kellysouthpaw on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bret McKenzie”