Bret set to star in the film "Two Little Boys"

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Bret set to star in the film "Two Little Boys"

Postby Venus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Love the pictures and gifs, Laura! Thanks for sharing them with us. They definitely have great chemistry with each other and it's so cute to see them messing around and just enjoying each other's company. :heart:

And that leads on to why I am immensely jealous that you got to witness all of this firsthand, H! Wow, it sounds like you all must have had a blast at the screening and Q&A. Thank you so much for giving us an update before giving a more detailed account. Oh, Bret's active on Facebook? :lol: Yay, I hope we get lots of footage from the Q&A! Can't wait to read all about what happened at the Q&A and your thoughts on the film. :D

Some more pics & video from the premiere and promo:

Video: Invercargill rolls out red carpet for Two Little Boys- 3 News

Audio: Bret & Hamish on Robert & Jono's show on The Rock FM- Loved it when they were talking about Bret's Oscar-winning crying performance. :lol:

Audio: Bret & Hamish on the Matt Heath Drive radio show

Southland Times:

trex164 on Instagram:

thejayreeve on Instagram:

chitty12 on Instagram:
:lol:

manndersonnz on Instagram:

Can’t believe I met Mr. Bret McKenzie tonight! I feel a bit embarrassed because I think a bit of the fangirl came out.

Me:”HiBretIreallylikeallyoursongsIsingthemallthetimeIannoymyboyfriendbecauseIsingthemsomuchIreallylikeyourwork.”

Him: “Thank you. I’m really happy that I can give you this gift. Keep singing those songs. Where are you from in California?”

We then talk about my time in SB/California in general and he said that he and Jemaine went whale watching there. He also said he went to the SB Bowl (concert hall).

Me: “That’s so cool, who did you see at the Bowl?”

Him: “We performed there.”

Me: “OH…..”

Nicest celebrity I’ve met so far. I’m happy he took time out to talk with me for a few minutes. I was a fan of him before but now I like him even more!

However, my encounter with Hamish was DREADFUL. He was nice and took so many pictures with people but when I approached him I said, “I watch your stuff on the internet…That episode with the catfish….I liked it.” He looked confused and said, “That’s…nice, I guess.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX9oGsCE8LA

^^This is what I was talking about.

Source

howaboutnoyoufilthypeasant on Tumblr:
Look who I met today! Hamish Blake and Bret McKenzie! They’re so amazing and so cuddly!

Spotted! Erin McCall rocking the SS12/13 Straight Up Sequin tunic with Brett McKenzie and Hamish Blake at the Two Little Boys premier last night. Looking gorge xox

Source

Jase, Stace and Justin on Classic Hits 97.4
Interview with Hamish Blake and Bret McKenzie tomorrow at 7:45! Two VERY FUNNY boys

Source

@TriggerWorld:
Bret & Hamish meet little Ben & little Jono tune in this fri @JonoAndBen @TV3nz #2littleboys #JABAT @hamishandandy pic.twitter.com/x0rEKaSN

Source

@Sarahontheradio:
Thanks to Bret McKenzie and Hamish Blake for making me laugh-cry today... All will be revealed next Thursday. :) pic.twitter.com/hNKDKphy

Source

@interislander:
All aboard Kaitaki with Bret Mckenzie! #TwoLittleBoys pic.twitter.com/rds4BZ1j

Source
More interislander pics

These must be from the Q&A you attended, H! :)

I see familiar faces in this one :D
@hamishandandy #TwoLittleBoys Q&A only 1 photo was permitted and this is it! please RT for the atendees.can u spot Ham? pic.twitter.com/xIuCGjBu

Source (bigger version)

arlos on Tumblr:

mukpuddy on Instagram:

emmalouise_xx on Instagram
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:18 pm

&

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Emira wrote:These must be from the Q&A you attended, H! :)

You're right! :lol:

Emira wrote:I see familiar faces in this one :D
@hamishandandy #TwoLittleBoys Q&A only 1 photo was permitted and this is it! please RT for the atendees.can u spot Ham? pic.twitter.com/xIuCGjBu

Source (bigger version)

That's me, wearing black and grinning like a doofus, in the centre of the 2nd row (as it turn out) next to my friend Leila in Green. Hamish is in there, wearing orange near the back and Maaka (who plays Gavin) is sitting next to him and Bret is two seats along to the left, next to two very happy looking ladies! :lol:

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Brilliant, I spotted you but was wondering why you were in the second row. :lol: Still great seats for the Q&A though and less of a strain on your neck whilst watching the film! Can't blame those ladies being chuffed sitting near Bret, Hamish and Maaka. ;)

Mia (the one who got the mullet) got to meet Bret and here's an album full of pics. There's also this pic. :lol:
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:35 am

&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:16 am

Fabulous!!! Loving all the great pics- looks like a wonderful time!

H!! :supz: I can't wait to hear more! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:46 am

So great, H! :yay:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Another pic with you in it, H :D
Source

Short account of someone's experience at the Q&A
An account of someone's experience at the premiere
Gallery of pics from the premiere

New Holland Publishers NZ
Flight of the Conchord's Bret McKenzie and co-star Hamish Blake (from their forthcoming film 'Two Little Boys') gate-crashed Sarah King's Good Morning slot this morning. Sarah's kids, Brianna and Callum, were pretty excited! Turns out Hamish might be gluten-free too. Here they all are, with Good Morning's Floor Manager after cooking the Morning Sunrise Muffins together

Source

@katiekoerber
Source

George FM:
deancampbellyo on Instagram
Bret Mackenzie & Hamish Blake's 'bro off' on paper... @grgfmbrkfst @georgefm

JJ, Mike & Dom:

FOUR Live:

@TriggerWorld
GOOD MORNING AUCKLAND! Bret & Hamish with Jeanette @gmtvnz

#2littleboys hijacked the @TVONENZ breakfast weather this morning, here they are with now ex weatherman Sam Wallace

Bret and Hamish from #2littleboys danced up a storm at ZM today @ZMonline and they met @pollyzm such fun!

Check out Bret's impression of Tim Shadbolt @RadioHaurakiNZ now! Classic #twolittleboys pic.twitter.com/ChjohBxb

Bret and Hamish featuring at the #twolittleboys @zmonline preview!

ZM Polly:

Maori report on Maaka with a few new scenes

Loving these interviews :lol:

Good Morning on ONE

Hamish Blake & Bret McKenzie in with Jay-Jay, Mike & Dom

Fletch, Vaughan & Megan catch up with Hamish & Bret
&

Lauraaa
New arrival

Postby Lauraaa » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:12 am

Even though Venus has probably already posted most of this, and by 'most' I mean 'nearly all' this is my post on my website everythinghamishandandy.com of this publicity trail, if anyone is interested.

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:49 pm

If that whole band thing or movie stuff doesn't work out, I think Bret could DEFINITELY have a career as a weatherman!!! :D Loved it!!!! :D I think Hamish is having the time of his life too. I mean, how could he not be enjoying traveling all over NZ with Bret McKenzie as tour guide??? That would be the ultimate 'Caravan of Courage'. Actually, no, the real ULTIMATE would be all four of them.... Bret and Jemaine as tour guides and Hamish and Andy. Can someone get that to the boys ASAP.... I want to see that now!! :D

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks so much for collecting all the pics, videos and audio, Laura. Much appreciated! :thumb:

And gibbs I totally agree that there should be a FOTC and Hamish & Andy collaboration! They could even work something out while they're all in Wellington within the next few days. :D

On Monday (Sept 17) fans can meet Hamish & Bret at HELL Pizza on Bond St at 3.30pm or Massey Uni Wellington campus outside Tussock Cafe/ Block 12 at 1pm.

SUCCESS, TITLES, AND NEGOTIATIONS WITH KERMIT
by paul • September 14, 2012 • Arts & Entertainment, Edition 7, Features • 0 Comments

Fresh from his recent success at the Oscars, star Bret McKenzie spoke to Paul Berrington about working with the Sarkies brothers in their latest movie Two Little Boys, his not-so-dramatic rise to success, and how it feels to have such an important title.

A film about two bogans from Invercargill whose world is turned upside down by the accidental killing of Norwegian tourist may not seem like comedy gold, but in the hands of Duncan Sarkies, and starring Bret McKenzie and Andy Blake, Two Little Boys takes that premise and delivers a bellyfull of laughs.

The film premiered at the Berlin Film Festival earlier this year and received positive reviews from many critics, the Hollywood Reporter cited the film as “one to watch out for” at the famous cinema market place.

Given the closeness of the New Zealand comedy community it comes as no surprise that McKenzie had worked with the Sarkies brothers before Two Little Boys.

“Yeah, I’d worked with Duncan before at uni. We were part of a group at Vic Uni that included Jermaine and Taika, and had worked on a play he had written called Bodyplay. In the show we wore flesh-coloured suits which allowed us to appear nude on stage and featured such props as detachable penises.”

“I also helped Duncan develop some of his short stories for a national tour. I feel like I’ve worked with him a lot as part of the Welly community. Robert came into the scene a little later, yet I have worked with them both when they were developing the Scarfies script.”

In Two Little Boys, McKenzie is Nige, a uniquely Kiwi character. “Well I thought the script was hilarious, and dark, and very different from the other scripts I was being offered at the time, which were mostly Rom Com’s that I was not excited by at all. I read the script at a time when I was touring America and thought it was a perfect contrast to that style of comedy.”

Duncan Sarkies has described his characters as representing the ‘great southern bogan’, something many New Zealanders can relate to, but something which McKenzie confesses he’s never been. “No, not a bogan, I grew up playing jazz and doing theatre, about as far away from a bogan as you can be.”

Yet he was enthusiastic about the experience. “It was fun being exposed to a really different culture. I remember the stunt driver took me out to teach me handbrake turns in the Mazda 323. We found a quiet street in Invercargill, which wasn’t hard, and got to work.

“Working with Hamish was hilarious”, McKenzie says of co-star Blake. “We hadn’t worked together before so it was all new and fresh. To be honest I wasn’t particularly familiar with Hamish and Andy, so it was exciting and a lot of laughs because we were both from comedy duos. Hamish made a great joke about how we were having an affair with another comedy duo.”

Two Little Boys balances slapstick comedy against something far blacker and satirical, pushing the genre into something more interesting. “I hope the film engages the audience. I think it succeeds in this way by existing in its own world and this helps the viewer to engage with the story and characters. I think too many comedies are often built upon sketches and ignore narrative.”

McKenzie is now in such high demand that he must balance his time between the glamour of Hollywood and laidback nature of New Zealand. “First of all, making films is relatively new thing for me. Yet I am excited by it and find it really interesting. I think film is a great format to explore so I am keen to do more. Besides that, though, I would say I balance my time between NZ and the US by half and half. It is important to me to find that balance, and I will always share my time between the two.”

AS FOR OTHER NEW ZEALAND COMEDIANS looking to follow in his footsteps, “you need to develop your material in front of audiences, which can be hard in New Zealand. Testing your material on a range of audiences is really important. “Besides that, you need a lot of stars to align, an element of luck. Having done Flight of the Conchords has really opened the door for me.”

He sees it as essential that locals push themselves outside their comfort zone. “First of all, go overseas. New Zealand is a great place to develop material, it is small and manageable, and you get an honest response. You’re away from the spotlight and you can make mistakes, which helps you to improve your routine before taking it overseas.

“You have to be really into it. Early on, touring with Jermaine was hard. I remember at our first international show at the Canadian Fringe Festival, where we were billeted. There was one person in the audience. But that gives you a thicker skin”, he says, debunking the myth of his dramatic rise to success.

“We were playing the same songs then as today where we might get 10,000 people at a show. Another time in Edinburgh we had to crash at a friend’s apartment. Jermaine had to sleep in a cupboard, and to makes matters worse, there was a wasp infestation.

“When we first went to Los Angeles we were told it was a car city but neither of us had a car. It was a four-hour walk to the shop and back, sometimes without any footpaths. One time we were walking home and somebody yelled to us, ‘get a car’. At the time these sorts of things can be depressing, but in reflection they make great material.”

After achieving so much over the past couple of years, it might be difficult for some to remain inspired, but McKenzie is still hungry to use that success. “I guess I’ve ticked a lot of the boxes really. I’d like to try to make stuff in New Zealand using my experience and the contacts I’ve made. I am really hoping to bring a big project here, with some big names involved”.

So, given this stance and his ability as actor, musician, and comedian, it is interesting that he is most comfortable as a musician. “I grew up playing in bands and touring, so it is natural to me. Yet as I’ve got more roles I started to really enjoy acting as well.”

And how has he avoided this success going to his head? “Partly by coming back and forth from New Zealand and the USA. LA is strange – the longer you’re there the weirder you become. The whole place is industry-obsessed and is all about becoming a star.”

An example of this was his recent return to New Zealand for Red Nose Day. “I loved it and we had a real blast, the kids were amazing. We interviewed kids from inner-city schools in Wellington and Auckland. Some kids were really shy and others incredibly open and funny. The whole experience was a real honour.”

He was also honoured by his recent addition to the New Zealand Order of Merit. “I was actually really proud to be considered. I am scheduled to have lunch at Government House with the Governor-General, which I think is really cool and a privilege.”

Rumours of a Flight of the Conchords film are unfortunately just that, with McKenzie confirming there is nothing set in stone.

“Well, we have been throwing around ideas about the possibility of a film, but there has been nothing definite.” It seems he is due for some down time. “I am personally taking a bit of break at the moment … and I’m also in negotiation with Kermit.”

Source

ODT Interview with Robert & Duncan

More promo:
U Live:

Video: U Live interview
Video: FOUR Live interview
Audio: More FM interview (from 12:40)
Video: George FM interview (from 17.25)
Video: Hamish & Maaka on Mai FM interview- I like Hamish's story about the FOTC t-shirts. :lol:

Classic Hits interview:

Two Little Boys on CUE TV:
&

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Really wish I had a tardis or some other form of time travel device!!! Get over to Wellington, grab a pizza with the boys and be back in time to pick up my own two little boys from after school care. We tried Hell Pizza whilst in Queenstown (following dissapointment at not being able to get anywhere near the Fergburger shop)... They are DEVINE!!!!! Whilst in Rome..... I hope Hamish realises what he's in for with them!!! He loves his food, he's going to love them!!! :D

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Good food and good company sounds like my kinda meet & greet session! Haha, at least Hamish will enjoy trying out HELL's specially made pizza for the film. I really hope they're able to do some promotion for the Australian release too. :)

From Trigger World:
Bret & Hamish trying out the Gangnam Style dance craze -Love it! :lol: (here's the original music video if you haven't seen it yet!)

Just in case you're wondering what Two Little Boys is all about, this makes it clearer ;)
&

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:59 am

Come on Bret.... PLEASE do just one more Tim Shadbolt!!! :D

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:37 pm

A good video showing what happened at Massey Uni. There's another Tim Shadbolt impression for you, gibbs. ;) It's great that they got free stuff although the soup is a bit random. :lol:

Album of photos taken at Massey Uni
Album of pics taken at Lovelocks Sports Bar/HELL Pizza- I like the huge posters they got

miss_linny_xo on Instagram:
catjanelovett on Instagram

@ZMthundersWLG:
Source

Source

@Stuart_S_52318
Source

@BjRansfield
Source

CoCA Massey

molleficent on Tumblr:
jono got hamish and bret to take a serious family photo