Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Re: Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!

Postby Faith » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:31 am

Just saw it. I think I may have to see this in 3D. I'm normally not a fan of it but I trust Peter Jackson to make it work. And to have a chance to see Bret look like a hot girl in 3D? Priceless. :)

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:46 am

Faith wrote:And to have a chance to see Bret look like a hot girl in 3D? Priceless. :)

:roll2: :roll2: Yeah, I'm totally in too.

That trailer gave me chills. :biggrin: I can not wait. :popcorn:
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:38 pm

The first trailer is up on YouTube.

Image..Image..Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:40 pm

I can't believe we have to wait a year.... :neutral: I hope PJ keeps up the flow of pics, videos, and behind the scenes tidbits.... :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Peter Jackson posted this on FB yesterday:

Hi everyone! This year is the tenth anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring, and we wanted to give the fans a Christmas treat ahead of the release of the two Hobbit movies in Dec 2012 and 2013. Stay tuned for more. Cheers!

I wonder what it is? :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Faith

Postby Faith » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:03 am

It's been 10 years? Man, that makes me feel really old.

Faith

Postby Faith » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:21 am

New production video posted on Facebook. I liked the man who said he auditioned to be a hobbit with his 4 daughters and they didn't get it but he did.

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Haha, yeah! It was really cool watching that video. 8) It's great to see how they pull off such a large scale production. Ain't It Cool posted another blog about their trip on set here.
&

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Bret McKenzie Talks The Hobbit
Source: Silas Lesnick
January 4, 2012

With Oscar nominees set to be announced on January 24th, there's already a swelling of fan support for the songs of Bret McKenzie featured in The Muppets. Today, ComingSoon.net had the chance to speak with the actor/musician and, while we'll have the full interview available soon, we were able to get to the bottom of an issue that has been on the minds of J.R.R. Tolkien fans ever since it was announced that he would making an appearance in The Hobbit.

Playing an unnamed extra in a Rivendell scene in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, the pre-"Flight of the Conchords" star was noticed by fans and given the nickname Figwit (you can read the whole story of why at http://www.figwitlives.net) The online response was so great Peter Jackson made sure that McKenzie was given a line in Return of the King and, last April, it was announced that he'd been cast as an elf in The Hobbit.

"I've got a cameo as an elf. Or another cameo," he explains, " ...My character is called Lindir. I hang out with Elrond... I've got a few lines in Elvish."

So are Figwit and Lindir really one and the same? McKenzie says no.

"You'll probably see, I've got slightly different ears," he laughs, "That's how I differentiate my elf characters. The big difference for this character is that he's in 3D. He's a character that's a lot more three dimensional."

Look for the first film, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to hit theaters on December 14th in 3D, 2D and IMAX theaters and check back soon for the full interview with McKenzie.

I wonder if he had a hard time keeping his composure on set? I die laughing thinking back to the show when Mel is speaking Elvish. Murray says to her, "I can't understand a word you're saying...articulate!" :roll2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0lHNCiiXGo

I'm looking forward to the full interview! :)
Image..Image..Image

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Just saw this on MSN. :shock:

Police called to 'Hobbit' auditions due to overwhelming crowds
Jan. 30, 2012, 2:46 AM EST WENN

An open audition for Peter Jackson's upcoming "Hobbit" movies had to be shut down on Saturday after more than 3,000 hopefuls turned up.

The director is currently in New Zealand filming the two-part "Lord of the Rings" prequel, which stars Martin Freeman, and a casting call for a part in the film attracted thousands of applicants over the weekend. Organizers expected around 1,000 hopefuls to turn out for the auditions in Lower Hutt, near the capital city of Wellington, but they were overrun when more than 3,000 people arrived.

Police were called to help control the crowds and the auditions were shut down early due to safety concerns. Local police Senior Sergeant Steve Braybrook tells the NZ Newswire, ''There was enough concern that police attended ... (and the organizers decided to) call it quits." According to 3News, only about 800 hopefuls made it into the audition room.

Wonder if Jemaine was one of the 3,000 hopefuls? :rolls: :roll2: Not!! :doh:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:03 am

3,000??? :shock: :sofa:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Lots of folks with dreams of becoming the next Figwit perhaps? 8) Where do I apply for the job of screen testing thousands of slim, attractive, tall Kiwi males for the elf extra roles? :geek: I'll even provide my own casting couch. :wink:
Image..Image..Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:38 am

Sir Ian McKellen tweeted this interview with Bret already posted in the Muppets thread where Bret talks about his time on the set of The Hobbit. 8)

Zap2it interview:
You may not know this, but McKenzie was in both the first and third "Lord of the Rings" films. They were small roles, but he's moved up in the world. In "The Hobbit," he'll be playing the role of Lindir, who is an elf in Rivendell. We asked him the funniest thing that happened to him on set.

"This time because I had a proper part I got to hang out with the other actors," he says. "So I was going to go to town with Ian Mckellen and Hugo Weaving. We were joking about ideas for "The Hobbit" the musical. So we passed a bit of time singing potential hobbit musical songs while we were waiting for Peter Jackson to cal action. Hours would go by where they were setting up 3D cameras and stuff... and we were just in hysterics... and by the time Peter Jackson would call action we were all just giggling. We did the scene and Peter Jackson would yell, 'Cut. Elron is giggling in the scene.' That was a really fun day."

We had to know one of the song titles. "Gandalf's one we were working was "It's A Lovely Day In Rivendale." We didn't get that far. It was very early days. There's nothing funnier than seeing Gandalf singing a song."

Source

Cross-posting other interviews:

Rolling Stone interview:
You're also going to be in the new Hobbit movies, right?
I'm in The Hobbit, but again, very little musical numbers in that.

Do you think you can just, like, talk them into it, now that you have this Oscar clout?
I'm going to have to call Peter Jackson when I get home. I'm thinking just a fun musical number at the end of the movie, you know, after the credits. Give the cast a song and dance number. What I want to do is try to convince Hollywood that the musical is the new genre so everyone will want to be doing it.

Source

CraveOnline interview:
I’ve got to go, but in The Hobbit does Figwit get to sing, or kill anybody?

No, there’s no sword. I’m not an elven warrior. I’m still a dude hanging around.

I’m picturing you with a lyre and a giant feather in your cap…

I think it was tempting to try and do something like that, but they didn’t want to be too silly. But the film, for what it’s worth, it’s going to be great. It’s really pretty amazing.

Source

Hollywood.com interview:
Have you finished shooting your part in The Hobbit?

Yeah. I was an elf – Lindir. That was a great experience. They filmed that in Wellington, where I’m from, so it was very convenient.

It’s a short commute.

Very short – much shorter than the commute from New Zealand to L.A. But it was great, because I was an extra in the first film, then I had one line in the third film, and this time I’ve got maybe a few lines. I got to be on-set, and I was allowed to look the actors in the eye this time.

You lightly spoofed Lord of the Rings in Flight of the Conchords. Had Peter Jackson seen it?

Oh yeah. Jemaine and I actually sang that song at the wrap party for Lord of the Rings. That was a pretty crazy thing. Within that song we do these impressions of Gandalf and other characters, and Ian McKellan and them were there while we were doing the impressions.

What did they think of your impressions?

I don’t know – I think they were all quite drunk.

Source

Bret talks about The Hobbit from 9:49:

And the DP/30 interview where he says there should be an Oscars award category for "Best Small Cameo/Extra/Elf" from 7:55 :lol:
&

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:21 am

Elrond giggling during the filming of a scene sounds like a fantastic addition to an outtake video. (heck, does he even smile in the whole of LOTR?!?!?) :lol: And Bret's obvious pleasure in spoiling Peter Jackson's take is :roll2: James Bobin can surely sympathize.
Image..Image..Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:26 am

He smiles at the end of RotK, when he steps aside to show Aragorn that Arwen is there, and they kiss. :heart: And man, I would love to see Elrond giggling! :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Bret McKenzie”