Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Aw bummer. I hope nothing tragic.

Psssssst! Jemaine! :stick: PJ's looking for a new dwarf. :purple:

I have nothing against blond's, but I've been hoping that Lindir will have sensuous brunette locks. :whistle: These folks think I may get my wish. Perhaps the resident Tolkien experts can concur or debunk this line of reasoning.

a majority of the elves from Rivendell have dark hair, and Lindir is from Rivendell. I know there is some type of family line there that really branches out *names escape me*, and I am pretty sure they are dark haired.
Image..Image..Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue May 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Sir Ian McKellen mentions Bret's role in his latest blog entry :D
Another slim-line elf returning from LOTR, is a local: New Zealand's actor/comedian/singer Bret McKenzie. Last time, he was an extra at Rivendell, the elven Last Homely House in the East. Under a tree at the Council of Elrond, he silently witnessed the forming of the Fellowship. Wordless maybe but not unnoticed by fans of the beautiful, who gave him the acronym F.I.G.W.I.T. ("Frodo Is Great! Who Is That?") I confess Gandalf didn't take much notice, distracted by the main action that involved all the main characters.

I only joined Bret's fan-base, when he joined up with Jermaine Clement in their hilarious tv series Flight of the Conchords. Now he is briefly back in Rivendell as a senior official at Elrond's Court and he has a name "Lindir", which means "singer". Tolkien has plenty of songs in The Hobbit but the script doesn't indicate that Lindir will be singing any of them. If, as he promises, Bret makes a Conchord feature film ere long, I shall angle for a non-speaking part as BIGWIT. ("Bret Is..." etc.)

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue May 10, 2011 1:45 pm

:D Awwwwwwwwwsome! :clap: I love Sir Ian. "BIGWIT" lol! I hope Bret is serious about the feature film! :yay:

No song in the script for Lindir? :| blast.
Image..Image..Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Sir Ian, I bow to your awesomeness! :prayer: Bigwit! :thumb:

It just isn't indicated by the script....yet. How could he have Bret play an elf known for singing and then not allow him to sing? At least a little.... :pray:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue May 10, 2011 4:30 pm

I hope you're right. :pray: I wonder if Bret has already done his bit of filming for The Hobbit? It would seem from the blog that he and Ian have had some conversation at least. Probably on set? :hrm: Remember Sir Ian in the Figwit doc? All the makings of a true Bretero there! :lol: He probably perused the script to see if he had any future scenes with Bret.... :waggle: :wink: ...and noticed the lack of any song for Lindir. :|

I'm reading The Hobbit right now. Jolly good fun. I find myself laughing out loud quite often. I'm sure PJ will do it justice. I can totally see Martin Freeman nailing this. 8)
Image..Image..Image

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Fri May 13, 2011 4:17 am

Thanks for posting that Venus!
I went to the source link you provided and spent a couple of happy hours reading McKellen's blogs! And, in one he was getting his hair cut by my old hairdresser from when I lived in Wellington - I thought he'd dropped off the planet so I'm really glad to see he's still around and waiting for me down in Wellie! :lol:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Perky Rebekah Platt mentions Bret again at 3:40. :) Not much of a 'character study' but it's something I guess. Also Peter Jackson announced that he has plans to answer 20 submitted fan questions and several people asked if Lindir would have a song. I doubt it will be one of the chosen 20...but we aren't the only ones curious about it. :D

Image..Image..Image

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat May 14, 2011 6:51 pm

She's almost to the point of being so perky I can't watch those videos. :lol:

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Thu May 19, 2011 11:46 am

Just read on Total Films Facebook status that Stephen Fry has joined the cast :D

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

kipples wrote:Just read on Total Films Facebook status that Stephen Fry has joined the cast :D

I just read that too! This film just keeps getting awesomer and awesomer!! :D
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Faith

Postby Faith » Thu May 19, 2011 9:12 pm

I just read that myself. :)

Compared to the The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit was always a lighter adventure, a prequel meant for younger readers as a segue into the epic, dark experiences of the Fellowship of the Ring and their quest to Mordor. Keeping with his past trilogy, it's likely that Peter Jackson's upcoming adaptation of The Hobbit will keep the same grim tone, but with recent casting additions, there may be room in the film for a bit more comedy.

According to Peter Jackson's official Facebook page, British comedian/writer Stephen Fry has been cast in the film as the Master of Laketown. Bilbo Baggins and his posse of dwarves are welcomed to the town by the Master, who's real intentions are driven by greed and weakness.

Jackson and Fry have a previously relationship, spending a good part of the last decade working together on a remake of the 1955 war film The Dam Busters. Now Jackson's expanded his relationship with Fry, bringing him into the Hobbit fold in a role that could be more substantial than the original text would have you believe, now that the source material is being broken into two parts.

Source

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 21, 2011 3:01 am

Oh, excellent news! :thumb:

I think the book it very funny. Yes, it IS grim...but I can feel the levity throughout even the most seemingly hopeless situations. I've not actually read The Lord of the Rings so I can't gauge if The Hobbit is less dark or if perhaps they are just contrasting the gravity of the two quests. I thought there was quite a bit of humor in the LOTR movies...so I'm very pleased to hear that The Hobbit may have room for even more. :)

Anyone have any opinion on at what point they'll split the book into two movies?
Image..Image..Image

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Sat May 21, 2011 7:56 am

The Hobbit is nowhere near as dark or complex as the LOTR trilogy. It's really a children's book.

I'm guessing for the movies they'll split the story either right before or right after the bit with Beorn. It's roughly the middle of the book, and I could see a very dramatic ending for the first film with them either approaching Mirkwood or flying off with the eagles. I think where they split it will depend on just how long and drawn out they want to make the Battle of Five Armies.

I love Stephen Fry, I'm so glad he's going to be involved!

Faith

Postby Faith » Sat May 21, 2011 3:44 pm

I need to reread The Hobbit. It's been a while.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun May 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Didn't the LOTR trilogy come about as a sequel to The Hobbit? I guess I assumed they were all primarily intended for children. :dunno:

eorious wrote:I'm guessing for the movies they'll split the story either right before or right after the bit with Beorn. It's roughly the middle of the book, and I could see a very dramatic ending for the first film with them either approaching Mirkwood or flying off with the eagles. I think where they split it will depend on just how long and drawn out they want to make the Battle of Five Armies.

I've not finished the book yet, so I wonder if that would only put Bret/Lindir in the first movie...when the dwarves and Bilbo visit Rivendell...or do they stop by again later? (I've just passed the bit where they are in the barrels)
Image..Image..Image

Return to “Bret McKenzie”