Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Re: Bret will play an elf in The Hobbit!

Postby eorious » Sun May 22, 2011 11:48 pm

The trilogy is a sequel to The Hobbit, but they're very different in tone and level of complexity. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit for his children, but they were already adults when he was writing the trilogy.

I started reading The Hobbit again myself yesterday, and it always surprises me how quickly the action proceeds. I'm so glad they're spreading it over two movies, because I want some of the detail filled in that seems to be glossed over in the book. Actually what I really want is for the book to be twice as long. :lol:

In the book, Bilbo and Gandalf do pass back through Rivendell again on the way home (and stay for a week), so there is hope that Bret might appear in both films. :pray:

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Mon May 23, 2011 2:45 am

Tweeted first by BBC Entertainment Reporter Lizo, apparently Bilbo Baggins, aka Martin Freeman, has let slip that fellow ‘Sherlock’ actor Benedict Cumberbatch has a role in The Hobbit. Seems like a good pick for casting, but what role will he play? Share your thoughts in our comments, discussion board and on facebook! (Personally, I think he looks rather Elven. But his name is so Hobbitish!)

Source

I hope this is true. :pray: I love him as Sherlock Holmes.

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue May 24, 2011 4:54 pm

The 'place to be' for people watching right now is Wellington. 8)
Image..Image..Image

Faith

Postby Faith » Tue May 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Secrecy surrounding filming of The Hobbit is so tight that even a fire crew called to an explosion at Sir Peter Jackson's Wellington studio has been gagged. The Fire Service has confirmed it has signed a confidentiality agreement with both the studio and Weta Workshop. Although not in the habit of doing so, it made the move because of the digital film industry's value to the city. Two people were injured yesterday in the explosion in one of the workshops at Stone Street Studios in Miramar, where extensive shooting for The Hobbit is taking place. They were taken to Wellington Hospital with minor injuries. A spokeswoman said the explosion did not affect filming. Kilbirnie fire station would not provide any more details about the explosion, including what might have caused it, because that would breach confidentiality agreements all crew members had signed with both the studio and Weta Workshop. The Fire Service's operations and training director, Paul McGill, said the organisation did not usually sign confidentiality agreements. "However, the personnel at the Kilbirnie Fire Station, like most Wellingtonians, are very conscious of the importance of the ground-breaking digital film industry to the city." The Fire Service was comfortable with an agreement being signed on this occasion, and Mr McGill said it had led to a good working relationship between the organisation and the people at the film studios. "It does not set any precedent for our work with other companies or organisations." A Kilbirnie station officer, who would not be named, said the agreements were signed several months ago, before filming began. "We went on site to familiarise ourselves with the layout of the complex and we signed that, and ... we are bound by it." The agreement was the standard form signed by all visitors to Stone Street Studios, he said.

The agreement was unusual but the station had agreed to adhere to it because it did not stop the organisation accessing the studio in an emergency, he said. "In an urgent situation we can take whatever action we see fit." The Labour Department confirmed it would investigate the incident. The fire officer said the confidentiality agreement would not hamper that investigation, as Stone Street Studios had agreed to supply the department with the Fire Service's assessment of what had happened. A publicist for The Hobbit, Ceris Price, said no other emergency services had been asked to sign confidentiality agreements. "It's because [Kilbirnie fire station staff] come on to the lot regularly to do business." The confidentiality clause covered "anything that's happening on the lot", she said. Government departments and some other businesses asked visitors to sign similar agreements. "It's kind of standard practice."

- The Dominion Post

Source

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri May 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Orlando Bloom has been officially announced as a cast member of The Hobbit by Peter Jackson on his Facebook page :)
Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas. I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I’m thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older—and he doesn’t! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Faith

Postby Faith » Fri May 27, 2011 9:45 pm

That's great news. And here I thought my days of ogling Legolas were over. ;) :lol:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Nevah! :hrmpf: :waggle:

A rare look at the delicate and extremely grueling work of the make up artists and professional costuming of the dwarves of The Hobbit. :roll2: This clip was for the Rise Up Christchurch benefit. Looks like they had a blast. :D

Image..Image..Image

Faith

Postby Faith » Sat May 28, 2011 4:12 pm

"This is legit, right?"
"This is absolutely legit."

:lol:

That's awesome. I love this cast already.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 28, 2011 10:17 pm

So amazing to see those dwarves in that trailer environment....they look like they should be at Lonely Mountain fighting goblins. Incredible makeup work!

:lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 28, 2011 11:05 pm

:rolls:

The 'specially designed fat suits' were amazing too, weren't they? :lol:
Image..Image..Image

Faith

Postby Faith » Sun May 29, 2011 12:10 am

Yeah, they're going to look really good in 3D. :lol: I thought the jingle bells on their hats was a nice touch.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 29, 2011 12:44 am

We can only hope they'll show us some of the makeup artistry for the elves as well.....
ImageImage

Faith

Postby Faith » Tue May 31, 2011 3:05 am

We have official titles now. From imdb.com:

Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema put much speculation to rest today by officially naming and dating each installment of Peter Jackson's upcoming big screen adaptation of "The Hobbit." The first installment has been christened "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and will hit theaters on Dec. 14, 2012. The second film shall be known as "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" and will debut on Dec. 13, 2013.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 31, 2011 4:39 am

Cool. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 31, 2011 3:58 pm

Sweet. :)
ImageImage

Return to “Bret McKenzie”