Bret to star in "Austenland"

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Bret to star in "Austenland"

Postby Venus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Woo! So glad you're able to watch Austenland, gibbs! Yes, I'd love to read your thoughts on it after too. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 am

Went to Austenland today. The kids were 'supposed' to see 'cloudy with a chance if meatballs' but it wasn't showing at the cinema, so we ALL watched it. My big boy was in stitches laughing, he loved it. His sick sense of humor :-p

As for my review now: well, I loved it, but, I thought it missed a bit of 'back story' if you didn't know the original story. I think that hurt it a little bit. I will admit it is was hard to see bret as the 'bad guy' but the scene at the airport with that white shirt was WELL worth it!!!!! The Hobbit line = priceless!!!!

The cast were fantastic, especially one mister McKenzie :-) my little man called out 'bretty' when he first appeared :-)

I dunno, I think I might need to watch it a few more times: it felt a little 'dirty' watching it in public, especially with the kids there :-p

Final bonus.... The lady at the cinema was putting up posters for new movies and Ryan (mr 7) went over and asked her if she had any Austenland posters. So I have 3 :-) only problem is that it is only Kerri Russell. So, does anyone want one? I don't really need three ;-)

Can't wait to order the DVD. Bret's smile and all that bare chest was just a little too much to handle!!

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 am

Went to Austenland today. The kids were 'supposed' to see 'cloudy with a chance if meatballs' but it wasn't showing at the cinema, so we ALL watched it. My big boy was in stitches laughing, he loved it. His sick sense of humor :-p

As for my review now: well, I loved it, but, I thought it missed a bit of 'back story' if you didn't know the original story. I think that hurt it a little bit. I will admit it is was hard to see bret as the 'bad guy' but the scene at the airport with that white shirt was WELL worth it!!!!! The Hobbit line = priceless!!!!

The cast were fantastic, especially one mister McKenzie :-) my little man called out 'bretty' when he first appeared :-)

I dunno, I think I might need to watch it a few more times: it felt a little 'dirty' watching it in public, especially with the kids there :-p

Final bonus.... The lady at the cinema was putting up posters for new movies and Ryan (mr 7) went over and asked her if she had any Austenland posters. So I have 3 :-) only problem is that it is only Kerri Russell. So, does anyone want one? I don't really need three ;-)

Can't wait to order the DVD. Bret's smile and all that bare chest was just a little too much to handle!!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:47 pm

:D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:34 am

Hahaha! Great review Gibbs. I know what you mean about feeling a little dirty, LOL! Don't worry, it's our little secret… :whistle:
I keep hearing about this Hobbit line at the end - I totally missed that! (I'll just have to watch it again when the DVD comes out, shame eh?!)
:biggrin:

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:57 pm

Glad you enjoyed the film, gibbs!

Austenland is out now on DVD & Blu-ray in the US and UK :)

Austenland bloopers :lol:

Bret recounts his hilarious superhero audition :lol:
&

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 pm

So after a pretty depressing day at school on Friday, I came home to find a DVD in my letterbox!!! :D I knew what it was, but I wanted to be surprised, so I let Ryan open it. OMG, it's Austenland!!! :)

Ahhhh, the Australia Post fairies have showered their love upon me this day... finally.... it only took a week and a half. COME ON PEOPLE!!! Calm down...

So we watched Austenland :) AGAIN. :) I really wish I owned a massive TV.... hmmm.... Data projector at school :)

Aaaaanyway. I was a little disappointed by the DVD extras, but that seems to be pretty common these days with DVD's. Exception of the Hobbit. I STILL haven't watched them all.

Aaaaaaanyway, so I watched the quick fire Q and A and thought well, I suppose, there's nothing else to do except the 'directors commentary'.

I've NEVER watched a film with the directors commentary on. I skipped to the Bret bits. (NB: I have since watched it all AGAIN with commentary). In the Q and A, the interviewer talks about Jerusha Hess having a crush on Bret, so that would be interesting. Her voice sure does change when he appears on screen!!

Reminds me of the way my voice changes when my Bret-like crush enters the room. I feel your pain Jerusha, I feel it!!

Don't know if this counts as a spoiler, but just in case..... cast your eyes away now :P I got up to the major kiss scene with Bretty and Kerri and Jerusha was saying it almost killed Bret to put his hand on Kerri during the kiss. She was saying that Bret said he doesn't like to touch people with his hands. Now I dunno, I haven't had THAT pleasure yet, but I have seen pictures and videos and stuff like that and he touches people with his hands. I don't think it's like a 'i don't touch people' kind of a thing but moreover a 'I can kiss her and that's okay but if I kiss AND touch, then that's a bit too much' kind of a thing.

Like a sweet, sweet gentleman kind of a thing. *drifts off into dreamland sequence* So, anyway, the next scene is when they are off in the boat together and both Jerusha and Stephanie and both silent during that scene. You could tell they were all dreamy themselves :P They also both comment that Bret is a perfect leading man and we should have more leading men like him in movies.

Well, hello!!! DUH!!! Are we all just a little bit mental? No!!!! We've known that for a while now. Seriously, I have been holding my breath waiting for this film!!! WELL WORTH IT!!!

One downside. Yes, there must be a downside. Its' just, well, hmmm...... Bret being so nice and awkward and gentle and sensitive and all that, just makes me want that even more!! It's kind of depressing, you know.... it's like going to the supermarket, 'oh, that's a nice apple, I would like to have an apple like that' and then all these women come and take all of the apples and they are walking around the shop with their apples going 'oh, look at my nice apple, i'm going to bite it' or they just put it in their shopping trolley and are all like 'yeah, so what, I've got an apple' and I'm just standing there going, "I'd like an apple. I would like an apple just like that one there, but I can't have it because it's not mine. There were lots of other apples on the stand but they're all gone now". As far as apples are concerned, Bret is a shiny red delicious apple, but not too red. You know the ones with the little flecks of red and green together and when you bite into it, it's crunchy and loud but so juicy that it runs down your chin?

I think I'm going to go and watch certain scenes again now and cry myself to sleep. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Bret, you got it going on..... you big delicious apple you. :lol: and a banana too, don't forget my banana. :rolleyes:

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby gibbsrus » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I just re-read my post. I got to this part and read it in a Jennifer Coolidge voice. I think it fits :P
gibbsrus wrote:It's kind of depressing, you know.... it's like going to the supermarket, 'oh, that's a nice apple, I would like to have an apple like that' and then all these women come and take all of the apples and they are walking around the shop with their apples going 'oh, look at my nice apple, i'm going to bite it' or they just put it in their shopping trolley and are all like 'yeah, so what, I've got an apple' and I'm just standing there going, "I'd like an apple. I would like an apple just like that one there, but I can't have it because it's not mine. There were lots of other apples on the stand but they're all gone now". As far as apples are concerned, Bret is a shiny red delicious apple, but not too red. You know the ones with the little flecks of red and green together and when you bite into it, it's crunchy and loud but so juicy that it runs down your chin?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:54 am

:lol: :P :drool: :tonqe: :twisted:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks for the lowdown on the DVD, gibbs! When I read what the DVD extras were going to be, I was also disappointed that there weren't more. The fact that Bret was uncomfortable with kissing Keri was brought up quite often during interviews to promote Austenland. :lol: It is very endearing though. I wouldn't say that Bret isn't touchy feely (he did pull me in for a hug when I met him ;)) but he is a gentleman and passionately kissing someone else might be a little too awkward for him.

Deleted scenes with Bret. More have been uploaded to Fickle Fish Films' YouTube channel:

&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Loved your thoughts on the DVD, gibbs, and your description of Bret as a juicy apple. :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Bret McKenzie”