The Video Kid

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: The Video Kid

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Kipples, definitely bring your cd! I was lucky - they had Broadway show tunes, so I was all set for the duration.
Hope all goes well.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:11 am

Thank you Nancy :hug:

kipples

Postby kipples » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:56 am

I'm a little disgusted with myself. I found this ages ago and it appears I neglected to post it here. Sincere apologies.

THE VIDEO KID
Interview by Jessie Scoullar

Bret McKenzie is a man with many faces. The latest incarnation goes by the name 'The Video Kid' and if you're lucky, you may have seen one of his recent live performances alongside his band the Astronautz. Spanning electro, folk, dub and funk, at times debut album 'Prototype' is total popsicle chill, at times funky as Cuba in summertime.

You're doing something that no one else is doing right now. What music inspires you?
At the moment I'm inspired by The Flaming Lips and Cody ChestnuTT. I'm currently listening to AIR, Kings of Convenience, and Goldfrapp. I like songs and synthesizers.

What/who is your ultimate 80s icon?
The letter Z used instead of an S, ie: Shadez. Neon signs and Miami Wine Cooler are also important.

You're a full-time musician/performer. What sort of 'real' jobs have you done in the past?
Quite a bit of restaurant work, student job search got me into some embarrassing situations: handing out fliers in degrading costumes, shifting fridges that I was too weak to lift. I haven't done a traditional nine to five job yet. I don't think I'd be very good at it. I get bored too easily.

Are there any more alter egos lurking beneath the surface of Bret McKenzie?
Napoleon Roque hasn't really had his fair share on the mic. I'm trying to convince The Black Seeds to start The Black Jeans. A band made up of the members of The Black Seeds and we do covers of Black Seeds songs but in a metal style. Shannon is keen.

I've heard rumours of a tv series following your festival shows. Tell us about it...
That's not really organised yet, but what is happening is Marc Smith from Oktober is doing the final weeks of work on a music video for a tune called DJ'z Girlfriend. We shot it earlier in the year at Island Bay studios. It's set in an animated dimension. It should be on tv this winter.

My favourite track on Prototype is 'Runnin', cos it's so funky and warm and melancholy and I relate to the situation of lives moving apart. What's your favourite track?
I don't really enjoy listening to my own tunes. But if I had to, I'd say track one ('Here Comes the Video Kid') is my favourite. It sets up the idea of the Video Kid being an alter ego and it's got some of my favourite lyrics like 'surfing the digital waves to free the corporate booty slaves'. It's the song I'd listen to while flying through space.

I've been wondering for ages - in the song 'Crime Scene', what was the crime?
It was an unprovoked stabbing in a Wellington post office. It's from the point of view of the victim.

You've got a high profile considering you've only done a handful of gigs. Why is this?
Spencer Levine has done some super stylee design work which has helped a lot. Also being a member of The Black Seeds has made starting a new project a lot easier cause I've got a lot of contacts in the industry.

Favourite gig so far this year?
Gig I've been to would be The Flaming Lips at the Big Day Out. That show was inspirational. I've never seen a band do such a rockin, weird and at the same time beautiful show.

My favourite Video Kid gig would be the gig at Refuel in Dunedin. The band (Luke Buda, Adrian Pryor, Darryn Sigley) played awesomely and for the first time we played the song 'There Ain't No Rules When You're Drinking Miami Wine Cooler.' It was a pocket stadium performance.

What NZ musicians are you into?
I love a lot of Wellington music and musicians. Current favourites would be The Phoenix Foundation, Fat Freddiez, and Trinity Rootz. Can't wait to hear all their new albums.

Who would you most like to play a gig with, from home or abroad?
I'd love to play a gig with The White Stripes. I dunno what I'd do.

It's been said that the Video Kid's music is "bound to be a hit with the girls." What do you say to that?
Not sure what to say to that...

Where are you right now?
I'm in East London, in an internet cafe.

Where have you been lately?
Just went to Glastonbury festival in the weekend. Wow. I don't think festivals get much bigger than that. 130,000 people. It makes the Big Day Out look like a chill out zone.

Give us a rundown on your itinerary of the past next few weeks.
This Saturday I'm in Amsterdam doing a Flight of the Conchords gig. Then the weekend after that I'm doing my first Video Kid and the Sci-Fi Sound System gig in London, with two Wellington musicians who are living in Berlin at the moment (Tim Jaray and Justin Clarke). Then I'm off to Ireland for more comedy gigs.

Other stuff:
With the Video Kid project I wanted to move away from the reggae/dub sound that I've been doing for the past 5 years in The Black Seeds and The Dub Connection. But in doing that I moved into a musical area where I didn't know what I was doing. I think that's why the album is such a mixture of ideas. In the future I hope to get a more definitive VK sound.

Source

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:51 pm

:heart: :whitey: :heart:

Thanks for posting that, kipples. I had heard some of it before, but much of it was newz to me. Astronautz huh? (He really does like the letter z. :lol: ) I wonder if there are any recordings or videos of that band?

You're a full-time musician/performer. What sort of 'real' jobs have you done in the past?
Quite a bit of restaurant work, student job search got me into some embarrassing situations: handing out fliers in degrading costumes, shifting fridges that I was too weak to lift. I haven't done a traditional nine to five job yet. I don't think I'd be very good at it. I get bored too easily.

Heeheee...."Free condoms! Free condoms from the human condom!" Poor Bret, I wonder what degrading costumes he wore? I can see him trying to hoist refrigerators up flights of stairs, too. :rolls:

Whoa, good to know about Crime Scene. It all makes sense now.

Give us a rundown on your itinerary of the past next few weeks.
This Saturday I'm in Amsterdam doing a Flight of the Conchords gig. Then the weekend after that I'm doing my first Video Kid and the Sci-Fi Sound System gig in London, with two Wellington musicians who are living in Berlin at the moment (Tim Jaray and Justin Clarke). Then I'm off to Ireland for more comedy gigs.

It didn't connect that this was all happening at the same time. Amsterdam! :heart: I wonder if anyone in Amsterdam caught both that FOtC gig and the recent one? :) What the heck is "The Sci-Fi Sound System"? Is that another band or the name of the Video Kid's cohorts?

Bret wrote:In the future I hope to get a more definitive VK sound.

:waiting: Can't we hold him to this, like legally or something? :lol:

I couldn't access the source, kipples. What was the date on the interview?
Image..Image..Image

kipples

Postby kipples » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:56 pm

It was posted on the site 12th September 2008, but I'm guessing the interview is from c2006 because I know he played with FotC in Ireland around then. One of those gigs being here in my home town in a club I used to work for. ( :cry: why?!)

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:03 am

2006? Indigo, were you in the Netherlands then? When was Sherry there? Why do I have so many questions and so few answers? :lol:
Image..Image..Image

Return to “Bret McKenzie”