The Video Kid

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Re: The Video Kid

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:01 pm

I got it. He's singing "am-a-corn". ;)
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Image Now that's funny. Even though I'm the butt of that joke.
Image..Image..Image

stephv27
Half a shapely halibut

Postby stephv27 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:47 am

Here is my guess after repeated listens :lalala: and some lip reading. (The most grueling part of the research. :wink:)
The song doesn't have very many lyrics but man the digital effects make them hard to understand.
I messed with the equalizer on my stereo and a few of the settings helped isolate the vocals.

DJz girlfriend, everybody knows that the DJz girlfriend is in our zone
ride by on their wheels of steel, *they’re not the kind of guys trying to cop a feel of the DJz girlfriend

this part fits the "outer zone", "out-a-zone", "in our zone" theory, all meaning she's off limits
*in the video his mouth isn't in sync with the audio, I watched it with the volume off and it looks like he is saying "there aren't too many guys"

everybody’s watching ?????? in the ??
all ??????ing on his ????? ex
to them he’s much more than a solid guy
but she’s the only one who really knows he’s a big ex???

lots of missing pieces in this verse, it made me :cross:

seduce and destroy
seduce and destroy

this fits the arsehole theory

Do these lyrics put it in context for anyone? What is the DJz girlfriend? Seriously, what the flip is she? Any guesses for the rest of the missing pieces? I think we're close but I don't think we have the correct lyric yet. It might be some Kiwi slang that we're not cool enough to know, even if we load on the hair gel. We need a New Zealander to help us out. :pray:
You'd have to be deaf to hear that.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:54 am

I think Sherry e-mailed Bret about it - I think I'm just going to wait for him to settle things. Which, UK/Europeans, if/when FOTC tours over there, SOMEONE needs to ask him this question if we haven't heard by then. I can't go the rest of my life not knowing for sure what the DJz Girlfriend is!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:00 am

Steph! Your sexy flower is fan-flipping-tastic! :clap: I love it like a woman shouldn't love a flower. :lol:

stephv27 wrote:I don't think we have the correct lyric yet. It might be some Kiwi slang that we're not cool enough to know, even if we load on the hair gel.

:rolls:

I know a New Zealander who could help us out. His name rhymes with Rhett McEnzie, and all he has to do is... :callme: or just answer Sherry's email. :waiting:
Image..Image..Image

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:58 pm

stephv27 wrote:Here is my guess after repeated listens :lalala: and some lip reading. (The most grueling part of the research. :wink:)
The song doesn't have very many lyrics but man the digital effects make them hard to understand.
I messed with the equalizer on my stereo and a few of the settings helped isolate the vocals.

DJz girlfriend, everybody knows that the DJz girlfriend is in our zone
ride by on their wheels of steel, *they’re not the kind of guys trying to cop a feel of the DJz girlfriend

this part fits the "outer zone", "out-a-zone", "in our zone" theory, all meaning she's off limits
*in the video his mouth isn't in sync with the audio, I watched it with the volume off and it looks like he is saying "there aren't too many guys"

I thought it was "one eye on those wheels of steel, the other on those guys trying to cop a feel..."
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:06 pm

I hear "One eye on them wheels of steel, the other brother guys tryna cop a feel of the DJz girlfriend" doesn't make sense but oh well :dunno: :lol:

kellysouthpaw wrote:I think Sherry e-mailed Bret about it - I think I'm just going to wait for him to settle things. Which, UK/Europeans, if/when FOTC tours over there, SOMEONE needs to ask him this question if we haven't heard by then. I can't go the rest of my life not knowing for sure what the DJz Girlfriend is!

I definitely will if I get the chance and he doesn't answer beforehand! I may know ask him to recite the lyrics to the first couple of lines of the song now :lol:...or the whole song j/k ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:30 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:I think Sherry e-mailed Bret about it - I think I'm just going to wait for him to settle things.

Hehe it could be a while. Or never. Or maybe longer. :doh: :lol:

ravenhpltc24
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby ravenhpltc24 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 pm

Ok I just listened to the song and I have NO clue what some of those lines are. :shock: :doh:
But now I really want to know so PLEASE reply, Bret!
He's gonna wake up in a smoothie.

helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby helgecko » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:37 am

this all reminds me of the first deleted scene, where Bret says "no-one can ever understand me". Poor Bret :roll2:
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image

Gracie
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Gracie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:33 am

I'm like convinced (in my own world) that he's saying "everybody knows that the djz girlfriend is-a... out-a-zone"
...but as for the rest of it :hrm: anyone's guess :puzzled: ...Bret, I can't understand you!!!

I just got the album off itunes a couple of weeks ago...it's so great. :lalala: Everything compliments everything and I'm alsolutely in love with Runnin, Crime Scene, Let Her Go and Slip Away...and Djz Girlfriend and CCTV are super funky. :whitey: :dance: :macarena: :boogie:
La La La La

This is outrageous, this is contagious...So...futile.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 am

Sherry wrote:
kellysouthpaw wrote:I think Sherry e-mailed Bret about it - I think I'm just going to wait for him to settle things.

Hehe it could be a while. Or never. Or maybe longer. :doh: :lol:

Yeah, don't hold your breath. We're still waiting on the Q&A answers. But hey, it's only been about four years. I'm sure he'll get around to it. ;) :lol:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:46 pm

haha, indigo - I'm sure he'll get around to it eventually. I'm sure he's super busy now though, so I'm not expecting anything in the short term future.

Indigo - you're a woman of fantastic lyric-deciphering ears ("call" vs "corn") and all - what do YOU think he says?

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:26 pm

Are you kidding? I was the first one to ask what the DJz girlfriend is. ;) (See Q&A, except for the fact that Sherry forgot to include my question, but then Bret didn't answer the questions, either. :rolleyes: )

But for what it's worth, I tend to hear him say she's an "outer zone", as in she's a protective outer zone to the DJ's inner zone.

My other take on some of the lyrics is that they're describing her actions thusly:
One eye on the wheels of steel,
Cruisin' (or movin') from the guys
trying to cop a feel
off the DJz Girlfriend
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:28 pm

I saw the video for Runnin the other day....I really like it....I may have to track Prototype down somehow and buy it....

I think when I finally meet the guys I will have to tell Bret how much I like this song despite it reminding me of a very similar situation I was in that he talks about in the song......

Return to “Bret McKenzie”