Dub Connection

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Dub Connection

Postby Andria » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:17 am

Ah yes, yet another group Mr. McKenzie is involved in. I recently received Dub Connection's tunes from a friend (*cough* Jones) and am enjoying them greatly. :lalala: There sound is...well...dub. Pity there are only four tracks.

A bit(e) :teeth: of info on Dub Connection - Heeya & some audio samples - Hirra.

And a couple of pictures, too. The one of Bret looks a bit familiar...:puzzled: :D
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:31 am

Nice detective work Andria! (or should I say Jones?) I'll give it a listen tomorrow at work. Something to look forward to!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:27 pm

If I remember correctly, Bret plays drums for Dub Connection. He probably plays keyboards, too, but I'm pretty sure for this one, he's the primary drummer. As seen in this photo of (what I was lead to believe was) DC performing live.
I'd know those narrow shoulders anywhere! :D
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:38 am

Cool Andria! I read somewhere that he plays drums in dub - apparently dub is made up of some musicians from a few other well known bands around NZ - including one other guy from Black Seeds (I think). Can someone tell me what, exactly, dub is? I've seen this term is a bunch of the NZ music stuff, but I've never heard it before......
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:39 am

great pic Indy!!

fawad-oh-so-prescient
Keeping it funky

Postby fawad-oh-so-prescient » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:41 am

"Dub Music" is a relatively recent form of music that originated in Jamaica and was developed and became popular in the UK in the 80s. it's a fusion of electronic dance with reggae and hip-hop/rap, as well as at times rock guitars.

examples of it would be Apache Indian, Asian Dub Foundation, to name two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_music
not so much a virgin as much as a...well, virgin. and 27, too. really quite amazing. god i'm depressed.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:27 am

Thanks fawad!!! Its been awhile since I posted that and never did get an answer - its nice to finally know!! :lol:

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:33 am

Cool I see a double bass. Where's the JP double bass emoticon when you need it ?

fawad-oh-so-prescient
Keeping it funky

Postby fawad-oh-so-prescient » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:17 pm

in my limited experience as an occasional dub tourist of sorts at times, dub music can be either super-charged and exciting and fun, or exceptionally boring. maybe it's cause i'm not high as a kite while listening. i-runno.

Return to “Bret McKenzie”