Bret-spotting

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Katie

Postby Katie » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:45 pm

k_obrien wrote:
Katie wrote:
k_obrien wrote:Maps like that (and things like Gawker Stalker) creep me out.

I'm pretty sure it's a joke. [Not gawker stalker, because I agree that it's creepy] but the map that Indigo posted.

Ah, OK.

I don't know...it's OK to say: "Oh, I spotted this celeb here" on a fansite, but a full on map marking where a celebrity is in real time is just really creepy.

Right, I get what you're saying but I thought the map was fake... maybe I'm wrong though.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:05 pm

I didn't really click through to details on the map, as I figured it was a joke, too. I suppose it could be real, though. Hope not!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Beethoven's Hair
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Beethoven's Hair » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:33 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I think if a city is physically small, no matter how many people there are, you can run into the same people randomly like that. Even in Manhattan, which has hundreds of thousands of people, I would see the same random people around the city. It was disconcerting at times to see someone I recognized, but have to pause when I realized I didn't actually know them. You don't always want to be waving to strangers in Manhattan. :lol:

yes. i think it's just living in a neighborhood. one time while visiting mid town, i saw linda perry (aka pink's lyricist/producer from 4 non-blondes) twice in the same afternoon on basically the same block. granted she sticks out like a sore thumb but it was weird to see her twice nevertheless. isn't there something like 7 million ppl in nyc?

Beethoven's Hair
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Beethoven's Hair » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:35 pm

k_obrien wrote:
Katie wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a joke. [Not gawker stalker, because I agree that it's creepy] but the map that Indigo posted.

Ah, OK.

I don't know...it's OK to say: "Oh, I spotted this celeb here" on a fansite, but a full on map marking where a celebrity is in real time is just really creepy.

both jemaine and bret have been spotted in nyc and had those sightings posted on gawker stalker.

Katie

Postby Katie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:42 am

Beethoven's Hair wrote:
k_obrien wrote:
Katie wrote:

Ah, OK.

both jemaine and bret have been spotted in nyc and had those sightings posted on gawker stalker.

That's just weird for me. Who cares where celebs are? There's hundreds of websites dedicated to it. I mean it's one thing to tell your friend "Hey, guess who I saw at this bar on saturday.." etc. But it's another to have a website dedicated to it. :shock: I love watching films and television as much as the next person but I don't feel the need to know where the stars are 24/7.

k_obrien
Keeping it funky

Postby k_obrien » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:14 am

I really believe that one of these days a celebrity stalker is going to use one of those types of maps to assault/kill them. I really honestly believe that it will escalate to that. It's really dangerous and invasive to post stuff like that on the internet. It's play-by-play, minute-by-minute.
I saved a life today: my own. Does that make me a hero? I can't really say. But yes.

Just Mariah
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Just Mariah » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:22 am

k_obrien wrote:I really believe that one of these days a celebrity stalker is going to use one of those types of maps to assault/kill them. I really honestly believe that it will escalate to that. It's really dangerous and invasive to post stuff like that on the internet. It's play-by-play, minute-by-minute.

Oh dear,
that terrifies me.
:(
"What is the bird?"

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:47 am

Couldn't agree with you guys more. Tracking where 'celebs' have been/are is just downright weird. I know I wouldn't want anyone knowing where I was all the time. Everyone's entitled to a little bit of privacy.

It makes me worry about those scarily obsessive fans though... Giving them access to info like that is very dangerous.

Beethoven's Hair
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Beethoven's Hair » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:40 pm

k_obrien wrote:I really believe that one of these days a celebrity stalker is going to use one of those types of maps to assault/kill them. I really honestly believe that it will escalate to that. It's really dangerous and invasive to post stuff like that on the internet. It's play-by-play, minute-by-minute.

oooh, i hadn't thought of that. honestly i'll occasionally go onto gawkerstalker b/c i'm bored, nothing more. i think that website was started as a fun thing but i can see how one day it might abet a criminal... but that site is updated every few days or so, therefore they never post what ppl write the same day. there's slim chance of learning the whereabouts of someone until days after.

to play devil's advocate- there are b & j sighting threads on this site- in theory how is that different from gawkerstalker?

beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby beck » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:07 am

My flatmate saw Bret at the venue where she plays indoor netball. It was before FotC was on on Monday night, and when we were watching it she was like "Yeah...it was definitely him..."
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

saffymatt

Postby saffymatt » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:10 am

How lucky are you and your flatmate to see the guys around town. Although, if I saw either one of them in person I would probably just pee my pants. :shock:
Set your Phasers on Funky!

beck

Postby beck » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:29 am

saffymatt wrote:How lucky are you and your flatmate to see the guys around town. Although, if I saw either one of them in person I would probably just pee my pants. :shock:

Haha...oh yeah I'd probably do the same!
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:39 am

Beethoven's Hair wrote:to play devil's advocate- there are b & j sighting threads on this site- in theory how is that different from gawkerstalker?

Ooops sorry I missed this and didn't reply sooner. I don't know that its different per se, but it is, at least I consider it to be more respectful and we encourage people to not reveal too much information location wise.

I went back through both the threads in question, and in Bret's I noted two points. One was that most of the sightings had been at small live performances in locations that had been advertised to the public in some way. The IWUO performing in a cafe, Bret and Age appearing for the same group at the library. Public perfomances. So someone attending and then reporting on a 'Bret sighting' I feel is perfectly within reason. Its not like that person had followed him home to see where he lived or any such thing. Nor did they approach him after the performance IIRC.

Other sightings have always been well past the event and have never given exact location details (ie the street address of where they were seen).

In the Jemaine thread again similar. Either well past the event or a non specific wording like 'wheeling his bike round town'.

I don't think anyone has ever posted an exact location and then pinned a map to show people where. Let alone me ever posting such a thing on the most read page of the entire website, the main news page.

And fwiw, I generally get the feeling that unlike in the US where someone is more likely to stop you when on your own personal time, ask for a pic or autograph or email in a sighting to a site, back home in Welly the locals tend to leave the guys alone and they go about their lives as normal.

I am sure more people back home recognise them now, but I've mostly had emails from people saying they saw them, not they approached them at the bustop/in a cafe etc to ask them for pics and stuff. I have had one email giving me an exact location, date and time etc and I've never published that or told anyone of its contents. As the guys have become more popular they have of course gained more attention when off camera, and I hope it does not become a problem for them. I like to think back in Welly its more low key.

Anyone posting a 'sighting' here is welcome if they stick within our guidelines for doing so. I do not encourage people to submit location details with map pointers or any such thing. Jemaine himself has suggested to Becks she say hi when she next sees him round town. And she has still to pluck up the nerve :P

Looking at the link Indy posted, while I think it is serious in its intent, its meant lightheartedly. And also there is a sign up process, group to join before you even get to location details. Most people I doubt will bother. I didn't.

If anyone has any more concerns about these sightings threads they can raise them with me, but as no one has as yet, I am happy to let them stand.

Just Mariah
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Just Mariah » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:58 am

beck wrote:
saffymatt wrote:How lucky are you and your flatmate to see the guys around town. Although, if I saw either one of them in person I would probably just pee my pants. :shock:

Haha...oh yeah I'd probably do the same!

I'd just stand open mouthed.
:roll:
I'm a person of few words,
or no words at all.
"What is the bird?"

Katie

Postby Katie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:11 am

So, Beck... any luck on Thursday?

Return to “Bret McKenzie”