Bret going solo

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Bret going solo

Postby Sherry » Thu May 11, 2006 2:26 pm

Apparently!

Thursday May 25 (unless things change prior to this) will see Bret performing live and solo with his 'new bag of tricks' and his 'pedals'

I hope to have more news on what this could possibly be soon. Keep your eyes peeled for updates here :) Once I have more info I shall include it in Bret's Bit On The Side section also :D

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu May 11, 2006 6:27 pm

Oh how cool! Hopefully there will be something posted online so that we can see (hear) what this is all about! He's so talented - I can only imagine what he has in that bag of his! :lol:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu May 11, 2006 7:17 pm

Awesome! I'm all for new stuff! Especially if we get to hear it at some point! :pray:

I wonder if his pedals are made by Lucidtone? 8) :geek:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Thu May 11, 2006 11:47 pm

jm513 wrote:I can only imagine what he has in that bag of his! :lol:

Whoa! Hey now, this is a family board!

:roll2:
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Fri May 12, 2006 1:01 am

/me wrote:
jm513 wrote:I can only imagine what he has in that bag of his! :lol:

Whoa! Hey now, this is a family board!

:roll2:

OMG! Do you have ANY idea just how hard it was for me to say that and NOT GO THERE!!??? :rolls: But you went there!! HA!!

I just want it stated for the record that I was good this time..../me let the hat out of the bag :twisted: , I was but being an :angelic:

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Fri May 12, 2006 1:52 am

Excuse me, what the H are we talking about? :puzzled:

Seriously, what are we talking about? Bag of tricks? Pedals? Is he having a show in Wellington? Why is he performing alone?

As you can see, I don't do well with the "tease." :roll:

Could you pleeze remove theeze cutlerize from my kneez. That's how it feels.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Fri May 12, 2006 2:00 am

:lol: Well, Sherry started this thread with the best intentions of letting us know that Bret has got something - performance wise - going on soon that he is doing all by himself.

I was very good and did not mention anything dirty about his "bag of tricks"....

however, my angelic actions were ruined when /me totally called me out..... :lol:

so really D, I have no idea*lol* Sherry just heard about something she was sharing and we'll find out more when she knows :D ......

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Fri May 12, 2006 4:42 am

Oh, OK. 8)

/me

Postby /me » Fri May 12, 2006 4:50 am

heh heh

:horny:
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri May 12, 2006 7:32 am

Well, here is the update...... That gig is not happening as Bret will be out of town (chances are) by then.

And to describe it, in the words of Mr McKenzie himself

I was planning on doing a few new video kid tunes with some effects pedals. The idea being I'd layer loops on top of each other using a new pedal I've got.

I kind of understand what he is meaning, and can see how it would work, but its early, I just woke up and I'm still tired and grumpy. And going to work :roll:

*Waits to see mass exodus to Google as people try to work out what the hell Mr McKenzie was on about with his layering of loops* :lol:

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Fri May 12, 2006 2:49 pm

Hmmm. All those years hanging out with musicians might have paid off after all. The loop and pedal stuff makes some sense to me. Don't ask me to put it into words, but I sort of get it. I think.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:12 am

I actually know exactly what he is talking about. Many musician friends, many jam bands in "my music scene" - they like looping.....

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sat May 13, 2006 2:32 am

Well layering of loops is pretty simple actually. Technology today makes it quite easy. You usually play one progression of the chord pattern you have in mind and record it. You then rewind to the beginning and add another instrument. You can add as much as you'd like. Once you get all the things that you want recorded you let it play in a loop. In other words at the end of the recording it immediatley starts up at the beginning so as long as you let it keep going you're good to go. You can sing or play other instruments over it. Think of it as a quickly produced endless backing track that you can goof off to.

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Sat May 13, 2006 2:41 am

Johnnyp wrote:Think of it as a quickly produced endless backing track that you can goof off to.

Goofing off to - sounds like my ideal instrument... OF TORTURE! MUAHAHA LISTEN TO THE CRAZED (and multilayered!) COMPOSITIONS OF THE RAVING LOON KNOWN AS PINEAPPLE!

But seriously that sounds fun. Can't even begin to imagine what Bret would be doing :lol:
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat May 13, 2006 3:20 am

Makes sense. :D Fun way to goof around and improvise without having a full band.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Return to “Bret McKenzie”