Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:21 am

:roll2: Glad to hear you won't pull a Petrov on me, Meli. My friend (I shall refer to her as N) N and I are looking at hotels/B&Bs/hostels now. It actually isn't too bad! Your country rocks. The plane ticket costs an arm (Fsh!), but being there should be okay, budget wise.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby beck » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:47 am

Yay!! This is very exciting!

I'm pretty sure they'll be playing...just checking my calendar...you're here for two Thursdays, and they're pretty regular with their Thursday performances so you may just be in luck!
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:54 am

The envy! It burns! :lol:

After watching the 5 Takes show that night, you should definitely stay at the hostel in Wellington that they stayed at! And Oh, the music you may get to hear! Take a recorder with you! I beg of you! And lots of pictures of Cuba St. and Dixon St.! :wink:

Beck and Meli, take good care of our dear friend Andria! I know I can count on you all!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:06 am

beck wrote:Yay!! This is very exciting!

I'm pretty sure they'll be playing...just checking my calendar...you're here for two Thursdays, and they're pretty regular with their Thursday performances so you may just be in luck!

Yay! I will continue to hope they don't change their schedule come summer. N and I aren't sure when exactly we are going to be in Wellington, but we will definitely be there for a couple of days, probably over one of those Thursdays. We fly into Wellington on New Years Eve and (I think) we will stay there for a few days.

indigo_jones wrote:After watching the 5 Takes show that night, you should definitely stay at the hostel in Wellington that they stayed at! And Oh, the music you may get to hear! Take a recorder with you! I beg of you! And lots of pictures of Cuba St. and Dixon St.! ;)

Beck and Meli, take good care of our dear friend Andria! I know I can count on you all!

I was just looking at the YHA in Wellington, and the prices look good. I'll bring it up with N. :D Yes, the music! Hee! I'll have to get a recorder, but I will most definitely bring one. How can I not? And the camera is a must.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:11 am

Oh yes! Good care shall be taken!

And you definitely have to get pictures of the bucket waterfall on Cuba Street - classic. I was there a few months back when they covered it in clay, but I only saw it once it all started falling off in big chunks. There's this guy who covers stuff in clay - buildings, cars, irons. Hard to describe.
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

beck

Postby beck » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:20 am

The bucket fountain is something you must be splashed by.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:34 am

I was reading the site about the renovations they did on that - they actually managed to make it even less in time! Fantastic! It splashes MORE now!

'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

beck

Postby beck » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:50 am

The bucket fountain is something which you either love or hate. It's not the prettiest piece of art that can be found around Wellington City, but it is funny seeing tourists get too close, and get drenched. And also on a windy day, which is quite frequent here, the water goes everywhere.

And Elijah Wood took a piss in it. That dirty little hobbit.

beck

Postby beck » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:47 am

I went to see the WUO again this Thursday and they did Folsom Prison Blues. It's one of their regular songs that they play, but they added a new little tooty bit for the train in the song.

Age said they had changed the name from Folsom Prison Blues to Awesome Prison Blues. That made my morning.

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:00 am

beck wrote:Age said they had changed the name from Folsom Prison Blues to Awesome Prison Blues. That made my morning.

:roll2: Nice. Putting their own stamp on a song, that's what we like to hear. GO THE WELLINGTON INTERNATIONAL UKULELE ORCHESTRA!!!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Age said they had changed the name from Folsom Prison Blues to Awesome Prison Blues. That made my morning.

Hee! I would love to hear them doing that song.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

beck

Postby beck » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:14 am

It's a great song, but when you do hear them play it, the damn song gets stuck in your head for the rest of the day. Bloody catchy ukuleles.

They've added a new song to their very loose set aswell. Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel. They played it at the somewhat animal themed City Gallery night. It was brilliant. Great song!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:25 am

Oh, how cool! Keep the reports coming, beck. :D I'm glad to hear they are still playing well.

I know how it is with bloody catchy music. I've had respective TPF songs stuck in my head for almost a week.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:02 am

beck wrote:

Now that is funny. :lol:

beck

Postby beck » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:07 am

Johnnyp wrote:Now that is funny. :lol:

Me and my friend couldn't stop laughing when he said that.

Return to “Bret McKenzie”