Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...
beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby beck » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:30 am

Andria wrote:Oh, yah, dat der. I'm almost from Canada, eih?

Haha, that reminds me of Fargo.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

beck

Postby beck » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:04 am

I just recieved information that the Wellington International Ukelele Orchestra will no longer be playing every Thursday morning. :tears: It may become a monthly event, but they are only playing these days during the Film Festival which is over late July-early August.

This makes me saaad.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:08 am

:tears:

And I was thinking of somehow convincing my parents to take me to Wellington at some point these hols, mainly so I got the chance to see 'em... Unlikely. But I could try. I like Wellington anyway.
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

beck

Postby beck » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:55 pm

Maybe you could swindle your parents to taking you to Wellington on the weekend of the 8th July. They're playing a gig at Caberet (restaurant, music type place), but you may need your parentals to be able to go. It's a bar type place. Just a suggestion!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:49 pm

I got a kick out of recognizing the names of the majority of people posting fan mail on the WIUO website. ;) Enjoy it while you can, becks. Enjoy it doubly for those of us who can't go!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:46 pm

They have a website? :worry:
May I please have the address? :thanks:

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:01 pm

http://www.alto.net.nz/sites/ukulele/

Its been discussed in this thread as WTF! gets an indirect mention :lol: I did also post about it and link to it on the main site news page a while back. I also updated the Links, Bret and Brets Bit On The Side page with the info today :) (I have a day off and its tennis is on, so am inside even though the sun is shining.. therefore tinkering at the compy)

*snip*

01.06.06 - From under the rubble in my house.... Conchords gigs in LA

Bret recently parted ways with The Black Seeds and is now involved in the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra. He is also working on Video Kid stuff and is involved with a new band called The Lovers Band (apparently). Read more about Bret and his other projects in the Bret FAQ and Bret's Bit On The Side.

*end snip*

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:08 am

EEEEEEEE they have a MySpace!!! *befriends immediately*

I am purchasing myself a ukulele these holidays - which, incidentally, just began. HOLIDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Sorry.

'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:15 am

Good for you, Meli. :supz:

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:17 am

Yeah, holidays!

Boo, no more weekly WIUO gigs!
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:58 am

I know some people have probably spotted this already but yeah I'll post it anyway :lol:

A video! It has two songs - one the name of which I couldn't catch cos my headphones are busted so I only get half the sound, and the Dave Dobbyn classic 'Whaling'! Very cool! Hope the link works... It's on their main site page anyway :D

http://www.7x7nz.net/videos/may2006/ukulele_256.mov

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:38 pm

The first song is called The Bucket and it's by Kings of Leon. Great song in both the original and the ukulele version! Does anyone have the original of the Dave Dobbyn song that they could send me via yousendit or something? I'd love to hear the original, as Dave Dobbyn's name has popped up from time to time, but I've not heard any of his actual work.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:44 pm

*waves hand in air*

I have a Dave Dobbyn (live) version of Whaling but it also feautres Tim Finn and Bic Runga (just backing vocals). It's basically the same song, though. Classic.

And I'm sure I have the original original somewhere.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:02 pm

Ooo! A live version would tide me over nicely! Especially with Tim Finn and Bic Runga! Could you send it to me at the e-mail in my profile here? Yousendit.com usually works pretty well for stuff like that. Much appreciated if you can!

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Nevermind. I finally found it. Although I think the ukulele version really takes the song to the next level. :lol:

Return to “Bret McKenzie”