Tongan Ninja

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
sarpugster
Lost but happy at sea

Re: Tongan Ninja

Postby sarpugster » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:17 am

mockingbird wrote:Does anyone remember a concert where Jemaine says at some point that he's not going to get into it with some guy in the audience because he "might know ninjitsu?" I hope so because that's all I can remember about it, except I want to say it was the show where Jemaine wore that Hall and Oates shirt... was that Denver? Gah I have such a terrible memory for details, lol. :roll:

Jemaine wore the black and white Hall & Oates shirt at San Diego and Berkeley (both the early and the late Berkeley show). I know these details after sitting through hours of videos making the archive. :lol:

I've just checked the archive videos for banter from those two shows and sadly can't find anything. Sorry...

(It wasn't something that happened after the guy heckled Jemaine's toy drums, was it? The videos only go so far on that bit of the show. Just a thought.)

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:22 am

Thanks for looking, sarpugster! :thumb: Hmm, now that's going to bother me. :hrm: What the heck show was it? Hmm. I don't think it was the toy drums one but clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about, lol.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:45 am

You know, I haven't watched this movie in ages. I might need to pull out my copy and give it a watch. Although I'm currently rewatching the Highlander tv series, and that might more than fill my quota for cheesy action/bad acting. :lol: At least TN was intentionally that way, though!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:12 pm

OK, so I finally saw this movie last night. I know it's a bit late in the game for me to be talking about it but I want to and that's what you guys are here for, right? ;)

It was much funnier than I expected it to be. Honestly my expectations were pretty low, but it was actually pretty good. I didn't know Bret and Jemaine wrote the songs, which were typically hilarious and really well done. I saw Taika in the kitchen, lol! I thought I caught a glimpse of Miranda as well. The guy who played Tongan Ninja was AWESOME. :lol: He has the best facial expressions, lol. And, I know it's been talked to death but I would be seriously remiss if I didn't mention how SMOKING HOT Jemaine is in his pajama pants and chest rug and cute little Addidas, lol! With his hair all escaping from his teeny Steven Segal ponytail, in those little unruly curls... :lol: I'm telling you that whole fight scene at the end, I was like :lol: and :drool: at the same time. It wasn't pretty. ;)

The thing I was most surprised by, was how sweet and adorable this movie is. I was expecting it to be a lot more testosterone driven but for a martial arts movie, it was really kind of gentle, not terribly violent, etc. I'm not explaining it very well but it has that same vibe that all the Conchords-related projects have, that sweet, cuddly kind of quality that makes you feel like all of humanity is really just a little kid deep down inside. I am not explaining this well AT ALL, lol. Hopefully you kind of know what I mean. Anyway I really liked this movie and I can't wait to see all the interviews and stuff tonight. Hee hee! Hooray. :thumb:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:23 pm

mockingbird wrote:The thing I was most surprised by, was how sweet and adorable this movie is. I was expecting it to be a lot more testosterone driven but for a martial arts movie, it was really kind of gentle, not terribly violent, etc. I'm not explaining it very well but it has that same vibe that all the Conchords-related projects have, that sweet, cuddly kind of quality that makes you feel like all of humanity is really just a little kid deep down inside. I am not explaining this well AT ALL, lol. Hopefully you kind of know what I mean. Anyway I really liked this movie and I can't wait to see all the interviews and stuff tonight. Hee hee! Hooray. :thumb:

I know what you mean.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:49 pm

I think you explained it perfectly. Some might say more correctly...:) :thumb:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:56 pm

I knew you guys would get it. :heart:

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:59 pm

have you watched it with the commentary yet? You're in for a real treat if you havent!

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 pm

I haven't and I'm DYING to! I'm going to watch it tonight. I was just browsing back through this thread and reading some of the comments about the commentary (lol) and I can't wait. I had to stop reading before I found out too much.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:24 am

OK. Well instead of watching the commentary, I spent the evening looking for that &$%*! video, you know the one where Jemaine mentions "ninjitsu". It turns out, he doesn't say ninjitsu. He says junitsu. It's during the banter at the beginning of Bowie, Boston April 17 '09.

That was an hour of my life I'll never get back, lol.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:38 am

Oh my gosh, Mock, I'm so sorry - I could have saved you the trouble, since Boston is in my possession. :worry: I wish I knew that you were looking for it, I could have saved your night. :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Me too coz I was at Berkely and I didn't know what mock was talking about but I'm a month behind in keeping up with some of these threads.

nonchalant obsession wrote:Oh I totally forgot to mention that I wrote a tiny note on the inside of the Netflix disc envelope when I sent back TN. So whoever gets it next....see if it's still there. :lol: .
I'm sure Netflix owns more than one copy. :lol:

nonchalant obsession wrote:The commentary is...at times dull, somewhat offensive with moments of wit and humor, but totally worth it to get another sense of just how wonderful Jemaine Clement is.
Dull and somewhat offensive? I think the commentary is oodles better than the film.

nonchalant obsession wrote:I love how he is so secure that this would be a gift to you from him.
I think it would be weird if a grown man felt threatened by that kind of thing. I’ve never had a boyfriend who didn’t support and enjoy whatever other crush I’ve got going on and vice versa.
90% evil
ImageImage

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:20 pm

SW, I agree about the commentary being better than the film itself.
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Raybon and Jemaine play well off each other."Raybon are you touching my knee? Oh is that your knee? I thought it was your penis." :roll2:

Dave was a bit irritating at times, but I suspect that's what he was going for :D

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:22 am

SheWolf wrote:
nonchalant obsession wrote:Oh I totally forgot to mention that I wrote a tiny note on the inside of the Netflix disc envelope when I sent back TN. So whoever gets it next....see if it's still there. :lol: .
I'm sure Netflix owns more than one copy. :lol:

Yeah, I think we established that they have probably have two. :lol: vmh and DaMango were hoarding both of them for months....while I waited...and waited... :wink:

SheWolf wrote:
nonchalant obsession wrote:The commentary is...at times dull, somewhat offensive with moments of wit and humor, but totally worth it to get another sense of just how wonderful Jemaine Clement is.
Dull and somewhat offensive? I think the commentary is oodles better than the film.

I strongly disagree. I adored Jemaine in the commentary. But I didn't really enjoy the commentary. I felt a bit bad for Jemaine, like he was uncomfortable and sort of trying to compensate for the sloppy and somewhat arrogant, flippant way the other guys chose to approach the commentary. I really wanted to hear what J had to say and I think the other guys may have gotten in the way of what could have been really interesting. Jemaine co-wrote this movie and I'll bet it meant something to him. When he did get the chance to share his thoughts it was wonderful. As I recall, the other guys were dull and yes, offensive.

As for the movie...it makes me happy. I still giggle remembering bits of it. I even laughed as hard as my 14 year old son at bits Jemaine wasn't even in. And some bits of the deleted scenes were quite funny. Well done, Jemaine and crew. :clap: Craptastic.

SheWolf wrote:
nonchalant obsession wrote:I love how he is so secure that this would be a gift to you from him.
I think it would be weird if a grown man felt threatened by that kind of thing. I’ve never had a boyfriend who didn’t support and enjoy whatever other crush I’ve got going on and vice versa.

Yes, but even the strongest male ego can be delicate at times. Not to mention there are a few insecure men out there too.... And maybe I'm wrong but I think there are degrees of "supporting" your lover's crush. For example: My man tolerates my FotC obsession with a great sense of humor, and even enjoyed watching the show...(once). Our house is adorned with a heavy dose of Conchords memorabilia. He will let me travel all the way to Europe to see them live, but I'm telling you...I don't think he would be terribly thrilled to learn that I was voted the Biggest Breterosexual or the um dirtiest member. :purple: I couldn't even fault him for being a bit disturbed about it either. I think it's just for the best that he mostly believes that my adoration is for the band, and based almost entirely on their musical and comedic talents. I can't be the only one who keeps the significant other in the dark just a bit. :whistle:

TN is a healthy dose of half naked, insanely gorgeous, hilariously sexy, hip thrusting Jemaine Clement...so I am impressed with mock's husband's choice of gift. Mock, did he watch the movie with you the first time you saw it? :roll2: I wouldn't have been able to pull that off. Nope, I made way too many funny noises watching Marvin work his magic. :snakeman:

That's it. I'm putting this movie back in my queue. Does anyone have it on loan from netflix right now? Don't make me wait for months again. :wink:
Last edited by nonchalant obsession on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image..Image..Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:57 am

nonch, I felt the same way. I felt he had things he wanted to say about the film, about particular scenes, and he was being drowned out many times. I wanted more details....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Jemaine Clement”