Why are YOU a fan of Jemaine's?

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Why are YOU a fan of Jemaine's?

Postby Kate » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:10 pm

A lot of stuff has been written in this forum about Jemaine. Most of it has been written with a sense of fun, and with a healthy mix of both delusional thinking and sheer abandon. It is always fun to be able to express our appreciation for a real babe of a guy in such ways, isn't it?

With The Wednesday Night Thread coming up on us rapidly, I thought you might all enjoy a chance to say here, totally without any of the horny stuff, how much you respect and appreciate Jemaine and his enormous talent. We've had a lot of fun with the more obvious of his charms, so let's let it rip in a whole new way in this thread. What do you say? Can we do it? I know we can!

I'll kick it off with mine:

I am a fan of Jemaine's because of a number of things... First is his sense of humor. His ironic, clever banter is delivered with such deadpan earnestness that I laugh until tears roll down my cheeks. His facial expressions are also priceless. Second is his voice. Just how many octaves does that voice span, anyway? I am amazed that he can go from a David Bowie falsetto to a Barry White bass in a matter of seconds. As someone who cannot sing worth a fig, that is impressive. Third is his musicianship. That little opening guitar part in "Jenny" is so sweet, and so intricate. It sets up the song perfectly because that story is also sweet, but totally mixed up. It gets us paying attention early on, so we miss nothing of the "relationship" that is about to develop between the two.

Sometimes, when life has me feeling kind of low, it's wonderful to know that there is a talent willing to express himself or herself to make life a little better, a little happier, and a little more hopeful. Jemaine, along with Bret, have an act that brings such joy and laughter. In these troubled times in which we live, that is no small gift.

So, I :heart: Jemaine for a lot more than his physical attributes, and his babe-ishness. And, I thank him sincerely for all the great moments and laughs I've had because of his tremendous talent. And, again -- as I said in another thread, I would bake him cookies anytime!
Last edited by Kate on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:52 pm

What a wonderful assessment of Jemain's appeal. I'd like to add to that the amazing confidence he seems to possess (aside from free-stylin', naturally). Also, they way he and Bret work comfortably together, gives the feeling that you are in excellent hands; that you are about to be expertly guided through their performance, yet it never seems contrived or forced. The best performer's have that talent: Bill Cosby performing "Himself", Victor Borge performing anything, Eddie Izzard performing "Dress to Kill". All very different, as the boys are, but all of them pull you right into their world and you are happy to be there.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

specialkay
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby specialkay » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:14 pm

Kate, your assessment is absolutely fabs! and Gayle your is too...so what is left to say?

Well, I cannot say that I have too many low moments per say. However, I can watch the guys and whatever troubles I do have just fade away. Jemaine has a uniqueness, which is not to say Bret does not, however J just moves me in a strange sort of way...I will try to articulate.

Sure, there is the element of attraction, that is a given, but his voice and facial expressions working in glorious harmony with his comedic talent are what makes him Jemaine.
I adore when he raises his eyebrows and how he speaks when he tries to land a punchline....or make a reference to Bret...and the glasses are just too much. His sense of style and choice of footwear are what shows his individuality and his sense of "I will wear what I want to no matter if anyone else in the world has a pair or not" :P and I adore that in this man!! :lol: :D He is individually Jemaine! and I think that is wonderful!

(please forgive, I am in one of those moods today...) :rock:

Seriously, I admire the accessibility he has shown to his fans both here and in the past, his ability to keep it 'real' when assuming the life of stardom...and being approached by what may just be a total new life for them if they are mainstreamed, especially here in the US. I know (I am speculating on some of this) but, I have a feeling that both Jemaine and Bret are the kind of guys who will always be the same people no matter what changes come to the old pocketbook.... :wink:
and THESE are just a few of Kay's thoughts!
Did I mention that Jemain is dripping with talent?

I would love to know about the talents that we have no clue about! cause you KNOW he has them... :P
Last edited by specialkay on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)
~KAREN~

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:22 pm

And, he loves his Grandma, and she thinks he looks like a Beatle. Gotta love a guy who loves his Grandma.

"Ain't no parties like my Nana's tea parties. Hey! ... Ho!"

How sweet is that?

specialkay

Postby specialkay » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:25 pm

So sweet that I just can't stand it! :heartbeat:
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)

~KAREN~

Fluffyblonde

Postby Fluffyblonde » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:46 pm

I can't say anything original. You have all deftly covered it. I would just echo what has already been said.

I know I have been quite silly here on the boards, but the truth is that I absolutely revere talent. You can be taught to do just about anything in life. You can have any kind of career you want if you get the right education, etc. You can do anything if you learn how to. But talent is something you're born with. You either have it or you don't.

In that same vein, humor is something you cannot be taught. And though you can pump up your intellect by reading Reader's Digest and taking the little word quizzes, or by compulsively reading a thesaurus, wit and the ability to be clever are qualities you just can't learn.

I have gotten so completely burned out in my field, because you look around at some of the people who are the most famous, most successful, richest, etc. and you just shake your head in disbelief. The ones who "make it" are rarely the most talented. They might have a small kernel of it somewhere, but it's usually breast implants that are the deciding factors, or the rage of the moment - recently, thug/pimp style - if you are or have been in prison for killing someone and/or are a gang member, it's your turn on the millionaire's fame express. A total nightmare, and a total loss. Look at how many artists we each know about and admire, artists who will be left in relative obscurity, while men with gold teeth and large diamond-encrusted medallions who carry automatic weapons and shoot at people (when they attend boxing matches in Las Vegas) go straight to the top of wealth and platinum-selling status. This kind of stuff has left my soul bleeding.

The other thing is the humility. You would never find either one of these men pulling that "I'm too good to talk to the little people". It just would not happen. The fact that those who wrote emails actually got responses completely blows my mind, but doesn't surprise me (after the fact!), all things considered.

I am a huge big band and jazz fan. I love real, quality music. I love melody, I love lyrics I can understand. I love a musician who is talented enough to take the stage in a simple t-shirt and jeans, sit on a stool and play his instrument. Bret and Jemaine don't need the special laser lights, the rising platforms and the troup of 18 back-up dancers. They simply need to sit calmly and play and sing. Best of all, FOTC songs were written, not crafted. There was no "song-smithing" going on. In other words, they weren't fabricated just to go number one with a bullet.

It is easy to fall in love, so-to-speak, which such an artist, because they affect your spirit. "Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand". That quote comes from Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke". I agree with Stevie.

Just the fact that we are all here is a huge testament to the moving nature of FOTC and their music, their talent. So far, every single person here has been so gracious and kind. We have become instant and fast friends, and there's just a good vibe all the way around. We have found true talent, and true class. My personal and professional goal is to give them as much support and encouragement as I possibly can. I will do anything in my power to help them acheive whatever it is they want to do, because they deserve it. And maybe other artists will see them and take a clue - people appreciate TALENT. Let's get back to that, shall we?

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:59 pm

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Beautifully said, Fluffyblonde.

conchordgirl

Postby conchordgirl » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:31 pm

*sigh* I doubt I can express my thoughts as well as you guys but I shall try..
I have to agree with Fluffy that it starts with talent..many of today's "stars" have done nothing to deserve their accolades. The guys don't just show a glimpse of brilliance, they are literally awash in it. How the two of them found each other to create brilliance squared is beyond me.. :shock:
Anyway, back to Jemaine..I don't think there is a thing in the world that he couldn't accomplish. Jemaine is an amazing musician, comedian, writer, actor, I mean the list goes on and on..and these are just the things we know about!
As a musician, I compare him to John Lennon (Well, maybe after a couple more dozen albums :) ) .. the music is beautiful even without the words, the words are clever and funny, a simple turn of phrase could cause you to wet your pants from laughter or feel sentimental about a lost love. Maybe even in the same song! :wink:
As comedian, I don't know many who do it better..his face and body are so expressive. A simple wink, a goofy smile, a confused look, Jemaine can do it all..He can make you laugh with just the simplest gesture. We all know how great Jemaine is in this category..I'll move on..
As, a writer, we don't know how much of the lyrics are Bret and how much are Jemaine but let's say 50%.. well, 50% of genius is still genius..I am most amazed by his work in Tongan Ninja, most of his lines are hysterical and I believe most of those lines were adlibbed.. :)
As an actor, even when playing a bad guy, he seems to be able to get into the skin of his character (and this is from one performance that I have seen.) For those who have seen Tongan Ninja think of the scene on the roof when he says to gun man "So you are the infamous gun man" Gun man answers "That's right" Marvin/AF says "I hear you're good with guns" Gun man replies "I'm not just good, I'm the best" and then the kicker, Marvin/action fighter says "Really?, I hear you're good." The face, the posture, the delivery..everything..perfect! :lol:
Talent..Jemaine has it.
Sincerity, of course we don't know him personally but I believe he has it. Yes, I'm sure he can be moody and cranky and generally a b1tch to be around sometimes but I'm sure he feels bad about it afterwards..(Maybe I'm just talking about me :) ) From what I've seen on the commentary, he seems very kind and sweet and very aware of other's people's feelings. Who doesn't appreciate that?!
Gee, I've seemed to have gotten carried away. I didn't mean to..Jemaine just does that to me. I wanted to write more and if the opportunity arises I might but right now I have a steak to cook..yum!
Thank goodness Kate didn't ask about his sexiness! I could write pages on that..We would have a 100 page post! :shock:

Thanks for indulging me and for asking such a great question,
--Nicole

P.S. Please forgive me if I dropped a word here or there, I tend to do that when I'm excited..My brain works faster than my fingers sometimes..I'm sorry..I'll proofread this later after I've eaten. Thanks everyone.
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson

kneedragger
Half a shapely halibut

Postby kneedragger » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:28 am

Fluffy
You said everything in my heart and more.:heart:

I have Coltrane, Monk and Davis in my truck (I 've got to get that new album with Trane and Monk together). It kills me to see and hear the corporate crap that is heaved on us. And to see the real artists ignored, ripped off and ground down. That has to be one of the reasons I love these guys so much.

Sean
"What kind of rapping name is STEVE!"

SayWhat?
Half a shapely halibut

Postby SayWhat? » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:39 am

I respect his impressive talents as a comedian and singer/songwriter, but his hidden genius lies in his.... DANCING!!

Did you see him at the end of "ShesSoHotBoom" on the HBO show? He sure knows how to shake a tailfeather and work that thang!!! :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Kate

Postby Kate » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:07 pm

SayWhat? wrote:I respect his impressive talents as a comedian and singer/songwriter, but his hidden genius lies in his.... DANCING!!

Did you see him at the end of "ShesSoHotBoom" on the HBO show? He sure knows how to shake a tailfeather and work that thang!!! :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Just for you....

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:59 pm

Kate wrote:
SayWhat? wrote:I respect his impressive talents as a comedian and singer/songwriter, but his hidden genius lies in his.... DANCING!!

Just for you....

Well! THAT woke me up! It's going to be a great day!

conchordgirl

Postby conchordgirl » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:00 pm

sigh..he has such a cute bum.... :tonqe: <--This is supposed to be more of a mmmmm...I'm not implying that I am licking it...just to clarify..

--Nicole
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!

Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson

Kate

Postby Kate » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:13 pm

conchordgirl wrote:sigh..he has such a cute bum.... :tonqe: <--This is supposed to be more of a mmmmm...I'm not implying that I am licking it...just to clarify..

--Nicole

Why... Miss Nicole! I do declare! :lol: :oops: :lol:

SayWhat?
Half a shapely halibut

Postby SayWhat? » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:01 am

Wow... Thank You, Kate!

*sigh* Man, that dude has NO bad angles!

Return to “Jemaine Clement”