Fake/imposter Jemaine MySpace

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Fake/imposter Jemaine MySpace

Postby Sherry » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:18 pm

I know it was discussed elsewhere in another thread, but as the thread itself was not about MySpace or fake pages I'd thought I'd post a new thread on it.

I was doing some research today and checked the fake Jemaine pages on MySpace and discovered they have been cancelled or accounts deleted. I know some of you friended the fake Jemaines. Just wondered if you'd noticed the accounts had ceased to exist.

TBH I'm rather glad in a way as I think fake pages such as those are a bit misleading and if not officially sanctioned then people should not be pretending to be someone else or maintaining a page in their name. I know one fake Jemaine page did mention in its small print that Jemaine did not maintain the account, but implied he read all the messages etc. I was never sure if this was the case or not.

I always find it kind of a weird thought leaving comments and private messages to 'Jemaine' or any other fake person, when in all honesty it is probably someone else reading them. Call me strange :lol:

So anyways, they are gone. I am not sure if there are any other fake pages on the networking sites as I don't look too hard for such things, but if anyone comes across them let me know as I like to check that sort of thing out. Thanks :)

The_Wallaby
Keeping it funky

Postby The_Wallaby » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:06 pm

I hadn't notice the fake Jemaine page had been taken down...I never visit that one :lol:

However, and this is probably common knowledge around here in fanlandia, but just in case some people hadn't noticed, or bothered to look...the FOTC Music page is not maintained by Jemaine...looks like he just checks the FOTC Comedy page...
I only say that because I see people leaving similar messages to Jem on the Music page the same way they (we) leave them on the Comedy page.

:)
I always get a little bit emotional on the corner of Rutherford and Brown Streets.

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm

With fan sites, some people just don't pay attention to the disclaimer that it's only a fan/tribute site and not viewed or maintained by the person/group it's honoring. :roll:
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:18 am

Woah! The Esq. page has disappeared. I didn't even notice. (Shows how often I went there). I knew it would just be a matter of time. Happy to know it's gone now.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:15 pm

cassandrasnow wrote:Woah! The Esq. page has disappeared. I didn't even notice. (Shows how often I went there). I knew it would just be a matter of time. Happy to know it's gone now.

I didn't notice either! Haha! :lol:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

FanBase
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby FanBase » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:18 pm

poptartgirl wrote:With fan sites, some people just don't pay attention to the disclaimer that it's only a fan/tribute site and not viewed or maintained by the person/group it's honoring. :roll:

No kidding! :? Just yesterday I got a message from some random person that said, "We should be together, I'm presently married, all over Europe, never been to New Zealand, how tall are you?" Mind you, I understand it may have been a fan-girl fantasy message, but the disclaimer on my page clearly states that I have no connection to Jemaine.

You don't even want to know the picture I got from a female fan for his birthday party last month. :roll:
"That's not a fan base, that's just a woman."

meg1448
Half a shapely halibut

Postby meg1448 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:04 pm

FanBase wrote:
poptartgirl wrote:With fan sites, some people just don't pay attention to the disclaimer that it's only a fan/tribute site and not viewed or maintained by the person/group it's honoring. :roll:

No kidding! :? Just yesterday I got a message from some random person that said, "We should be together, I'm presently married, all over Europe, never been to New Zealand, how tall are you?" Mind you, I understand it may have been a fan-girl fantasy message, but the disclaimer on my page clearly states that I have no connection to Jemaine.

You don't even want to know the picture I got from a female fan for his birthday party last month. :roll:

:shock:
"If the divine master plan is perfection, maybe next I'll give Judas a try."

Spark by Tori Amos
DA account: http://modelmeg2003.deviantart.com/

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:01 pm

FanBase wrote:You don't even want to know the picture I got from a female fan for his birthday party last month. :roll:

Hehe I can imagine :oops: :roll: Some of the emails I've had leave little to the imagination. Be it the written word, pics, people really do need to realise that emailing in such stuff is a bit daft.

Goodness knows what kind of stuff they get via the official MySpace page :roll: :wtf: :roll2:

FanBase
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby FanBase » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:20 am

Whoo, Sherry, I can only imagine what you've seen over the years! :wink:

Talking about Myspace, do ya'll think he still maintains their account? With their growth in popularity, I don't know where he finds the time to do it. I have enough trouble with my own page. Can you imagine juggling 84,000 fans! Their profile quote recently changed to, "Pretty Official." I wonder what that's all about.
"That's not a fan base, that's just a woman."

meg1448
Half a shapely halibut

Postby meg1448 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:27 am

*wishes they had an official Facebook group*

Spark by Tori Amos

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:07 am

Pretty Official? Uht, oh.

I guess we knew the time had to come. :(

sarbear1987
New arrival

Postby sarbear1987 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:38 am

I'm pretty sure that "pretty official" means "This is pretty official". As in "You should come here to get the haps and the low-down, peeps" because their "official" site is "officially" never updated, and it's pretty sad. That's what I think, anyway. :D

Did I say "pretty" and "official" there, enough? :wink:

All I know for sure is Jemaine's still sending messages and comments to people. So I don't think it matters what his headline says. I change mine all the time. Maybe he got bored with "Yes, this really is Flight of the Conchords". It's not as catchy as "Pretty official".

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:57 am

I still live in hope they will actually do something with their official site rather than letting it languish. They could actually create something that seems more personal and 'them' rather than a page that is the same crappy code as the next one (MySpace badly coded :P ) and that is overwhelmed with comments from others, rather than content from the guys.

Not everyone on the planet uses TheArseOfTheInter... I mean MySpace. Yes in one way its good to promote yourself, but on the other, a proper website is also cool.

That Bret is a self confessed MySpace avoider just makes me think that doing something elsewhere would also be good.

I must admit, and as people well know, I dislike MySpace for personal and design reasons. I am not alone in this and won't just sign up an account because the Conchords are there and I want to read their blog entries or view the pics. I know I also miss out on keeping up with certain friends and aquaintances I know via there, but sorry, while I like you I stick to my principals :lol: I know its good for promoting bands and so on and was why the guys set up a page in the first place (that and to combat the fake pages :roll: :lol: ) but I do hope one day in the not too distant future they get going on the proper site again.

:waiting: :popcorn:

sarbear1987
New arrival

Postby sarbear1987 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 pm

Oh, yes, I definitely agree, Sherry! I remember, over the summer, I looked them up on Google and actually said "Yay! They have an official website! ... Boo, it doesn't have anything on it!" :lame: Hahaha.

I am all for websites. I have one of my own. And the thing about the MySpace (though I'll admit, it's really grown on me now that I've met some of you from here over there -- does that even make sense?) that bothers me is that Bret isn't a part of it and he's my favorite. I'd love to hear/read his imput on things, so a proper, updated website would be smashing.

Maybe they need a good web designer who's dedicated? They should contact you! :thumb:

meg1448
Half a shapely halibut

Postby meg1448 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:35 pm

I, too, agree, Sherry and Sar Bear. It took forever before I was finally convinced to make a Facebook account...which isn't nearly as annoying (in look or use) as MySpace. So, I too refuse to make a MySpace account just to see what the boys may or may not be up to. An official site that they actually update would be great!

Spark by Tori Amos

Return to “Jemaine Clement”