Jemaine's voice...

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:23 pm

saffymatt wrote:
SheWolf wrote:
saffymatt wrote:
SheWolf wrote:
saffymatt wrote:His accent just knocks my socks off. I love it more in E vs S because I feel that he doesn't need to try to "Americanize" it. More of how he really sounds I bet.

When you met him did you find it cool to hear that voice in person? I did. And I remember how deep and manly it sounded. :P

I did...it was quite soothing. And he laughed at something...I don't remember what, but it was sooo much better than I could have ever imagined!

In person Bret's voice is the one I found very soothing.

Jemaine did the dorky laugh with me. It's the same one he does in the EVS outtake where Taika is in the closet. It's SO dorky and so brilliant.

That dorky laugh is just the best. It makes me giddy!

Bret's was good too. He was totally happy and kinda giggly. Jemaine was much more serious and sweet. Bret was much easier to talk to, but I think that was I wasn't all flustered and mushy brained.

I think Bret is easier to talk to just by nature of his personality. He was quite bubbly and chatty when I saw him. He seemed energized by the attention and treated fans as if they were his long lost friends.
Jemaine is not that way, which doesn't make him not friendly, just different. I think few people are as effervescent as Bret. Jemaine's personality intrigues me because I got a hint of it but not much. I think he was just really dry. Like he made a breast comment to my friend & it was so totally deadpan that it took a few seconds for any of us to realize what he said. And when we did we were :shock: and then :lol:

I got a sweet vibe from both of them which I wasn't expecting. In Philly Jemaine just magically appeared in front of me looking at me sweetly, not saying anything. It was just kind of implied like Hi I'm here what do you want me to do? I thought that was very nice. He seemed a bit vulnerable to me.

Nancy, what were your impressions of their personalities? (I could talk about this kind of stuff all day).
90% evil
ImageImage

meg1448
Half a shapely halibut

Postby meg1448 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:49 am

SheWolf wrote:
saffymatt wrote:
SheWolf wrote:
saffymatt wrote:
SheWolf wrote:
saffymatt wrote:His accent just knocks my socks off. I love it more in E vs S because I feel that he doesn't need to try to "Americanize" it. More of how he really sounds I bet.

When you met him did you find it cool to hear that voice in person? I did. And I remember how deep and manly it sounded. :P

I did...it was quite soothing. And he laughed at something...I don't remember what, but it was sooo much better than I could have ever imagined!

Jemaine did the dorky laugh with me. It's the same one he does in the EVS outtake where Taika is in the closet. It's SO dorky and so brilliant.

Bret's was good too. He was totally happy and kinda giggly. Jemaine was much more serious and sweet. Bret was much easier to talk to, but I think that was I wasn't all flustered and mushy brained.

I think Bret is easier to talk to just by nature of his personality. He was quite bubbly and chatty when I saw him. He seemed energized by the attention and treated fans as if they were his long lost friends.
Jemaine is not that way, which doesn't make him not friendly, just different. I think few people are as effervescent as Bret. Jemaine's personality intrigues me because I got a hint of it but not much. I think he was just really dry. Like he made a breast comment to my friend & it was so totally deadpan that it took a few seconds for any of us to realize what he said. And when we did we were :shock: and then :lol:

I got a sweet vibe from both of them which I wasn't expecting. In Philly Jemaine just magically appeared in front of me looking at me sweetly, not saying anything. It was just kind of implied like Hi I'm here what do you want me to do? I thought that was very nice. He seemed a bit vulnerable to me.

Nancy, what were your impressions of their personalities? (I could talk about this kind of stuff all day).

Jemaine commented on your friend's breasts?! :shock: *is jealous*
"If the divine master plan is perfection, maybe next I'll give Judas a try."

Spark by Tori Amos
DA account: http://modelmeg2003.deviantart.com/

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:58 am

Would it be rude to ask what he said about your friend's breasts?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:50 am

SheWolf wrote:
saffymatt wrote:
SheWolf wrote:
saffymatt wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

How about all night??? Okay,here goes: *Remembering each moment with sheer bliss*
I have to say that it still shocks me that they stuck around to say hi to all of us - even the 25-30 of us who waited at the wrong door! All of a sudden they locked the door I was standing near from the inside, and in slo-mo I saw people looking, then hurrying to the other stage door. I figured that I had blown it, and I wouldn't even get to see them, and then poof, there they were, saying hi and being so friendly, right in front of us. I got closest to Bret first, and I said hi, and thanks for making the world a much happier place, and shook his hand, and he said Well thank you, I love your shirt, I have one like it. (It was the sweatshirt he wore in the HBO One Night Stand special) I said yes I know, and then went on to talk about my daughter planning to see them in LA, and he said That should be a great show, cause it's a great place, and I said my daughter had seen Rhys there, and he said, I think Rhys was at the......(I don't remember the place :roll:).Then this girl who I had met before the show (Christine or Christina) asked me if I'd take her picture with Bret and I did - it was an old Polaroid camera, and I actually took a pretty good picture! I said my goodbyes to Bret by telling him I thought I was their oldest fan, he laughed and then we parted. When I saw Jemaine, the first thing he said was I love your shirt! I said thanks, and then the same thing about thanks for making the world a happier place, and he was very gracious. I also told him I was their oldest fan and that's when he said It'll be our secret! :thud: Then I spoke for a few minutes with Todd Berry and Sara Silverman, and it looked as though they were getting ready to leave, and as I went over to say goodbye I noticed Jemaine's sneaker was untied. So the Mom in me came through, and I said Jemaine, your shoe's untied, be careful, you might fall. (I don't think he tied it before getting in the cab, not special car, cab!)
Then I told him if he needed a backup singer, I'd love to do it, and he said So you're the one to call? And of course I said yis. Then a father of two young teenage boys said Thank you so much for coming out and meeting everybody, it really meant a lot to these kids. And Jemaine was just so gracious. :D
And then I heard one of the assistants tell Todd and Sara the name of the hotel where they were going to meet and have a drink, and for one brief second I thought about stalking, but then I decided that wasn't cool, so I went home.
I found them to be kind of extensions of their stage personas - as you've said, Bret was very personable and charismatic, and Jemaine was quieter but dry. I thought they were very special to speak to us all, and I truly will never forget that voice saying words to ME!!!! :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

meg1448
Half a shapely halibut

Postby meg1448 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:30 am

:shock: Lucky girl!! One day that'll be me...and I'll wear my lowest cut top. (I kid, I kid....maybe) :P
"If the divine master plan is perfection, maybe next I'll give Judas a try."

Spark by Tori Amos

DA account: http://modelmeg2003.deviantart.com/

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Jemaine's voice...

Postby claire » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:14 pm

aw you all make them sound even more wonderful than i already thought, i love hearing your stories!! i can't wait to have my own!! :D
that's frozen cool...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Re:

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:56 pm

JulesJules wrote:Would it be rude to ask what he said about your friend's breasts?
No sorry. I didn't mean to tease I just thought I may have mentioned it here before.

Jemaine seemed to be having difficulty writing on my friend's flimsy ticket stub so she apologized for not having something for him to lean on and he said "next time use your breasts." Only it sounded like nixt time use yr brists -lol. It took us a minute to realize what he said - probably due to shock as well as the lag time of the American to Kiwi translation going on in our heads (I initially thought he said wrists) and the ultra dry delivery. Needless to say we talked about this most of the 2 hour ride home -lol. I was like -Jemaine objectified you and I can only hope to be objectified by him in the future! My friend has a large bust and I wonder if he made the comment because of that or if he would have used that line with any female. Obviously if some random guy had made that comment it would have been offensive but Jemaine was just being a cheeky monkey.

2 days later my friend decided to put her brists to use (it was the nixt time, after all) she brought a T shirt for Jemaine to sign and draped it over her boobage so he could sign it that way but she chickened out which was okay because I didn't really want to see him trying to sign that and probably being embarrassed by it. We vowed that if we ever see him again and he makes a breast comment we'll be right back on him with a comment about his crotch. :wink:
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:49 pm

:offtopic: Okay, I forgot one thing, which may answer why Jemaine made the comment about brists. The night before you saw them, SW (in NY), a girl had both Bret and Jemaine sign her breasts. I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned his comment. (It would make sense if he made the comment in NY, not Philly - if he made it in Philly, he's a cheeky monkey! :D ) Bret had signed first, and when she asked Jemaine he hesitated, but then she said "Bret signed this one"! Jemaine kind of nervously laughed and said, "Okay", and then he quickly signed it. She had a low cut tank top on, so there was PLENTY of room for autographs! :eyebrow:

:topic: It amazes me how wonderfully versatile both of the guys are vocally. I admit there were a few times I thought it was one singing, and indeed it was the other. For the longest time I thought it was Bret doing the goofy cadenza at the end of Something Special on the Folk the World cd, and then I really paid attention and realized it was the J-dog. The low riff at the end finally gave it away. I just love how they can both sing high or low. Granted, Bret seems more comfortable higher, and Jemaine lower, but I love when they mix it up, like in Robots or Most Beautiful Girl. Yay guys! Keep singing this repertoire of songs, (as well as new ones, of course)and you'll keep those wide ranges! :D

PS SW, I re-read your post and realized Jemaine made that comment in Philly - cheeky monkey!!! :eyebrow:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:39 pm

Awww, thanks for sharing those stories. I dont have any of my own to talk about all day, but I can read about yall's adventures all day!

The context of the brist story is pretty funny. Honestly, I don't think I could ever ask a man to sign my breasts. I don't drink, but I used to, and even if I were staggeringly drunk, it's just not in me. If I were drunk, I'd likely have verbal diarrhea and embarrass myself greatly, which is one of the reasons I don't drink any longer!! Of course, verbal diarrhea is a problem when I'm nervous too. Is there a "Depends" product for the mouth??

*SIGH* I can only hope that they do have an extended U.S. tour next year, and that they come close to Atlanta, and saffy and I can share the gas expenses and go see them. My son is 14 and he thinks they're hysterical and he'd want to come too.

H....

Postby H.... » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:19 am

I wouldn't be able to ask either.

Yis, Jem's voice is lovely and is one of the main things that makes me have such a deep affection for him.
Throw us your potatoes!

softestbullet
Lost but happy at sea

Re:

Postby softestbullet » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:31 pm

claire wrote:
SheWolf wrote:Now let's start a thread for his lips. :P

and his eyebrows! :D

I'm down with that!

Loving Jemaine's Albi voice. I don't know how he can go from treacle-smooth English narrator (that accent is fab too) to high-pitched burned Albanian boy - and back again - so effortlessly!
'what is it sebastian? i'm arranging matches'

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:52 am

I agree. Their ability to make the switch from regular chest voice to falsetto and back constantly amazes me. And they go soooo high!!!
Listen to both of them at the end of Angels, or Jemaine on CelloTape on the Folk the World cd when he sings, "Come on, come on, ...... stick it together" That's up near my top notes, and he's a manly man! :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Aha - I knew J would be embarrassed by breast signing. Thanks for the story Nancy. Having someone sign my breast wouldn't occur to me in a million years because (1) I don't put any value in autographs and (2) in my ever humble opinion it's tacky, not to mention impractical.

Oh this thread was about J's voice? See how easily we get sidelined? Yes he does have quite the range. At the Philly gig they did I'm Not Crying as an encore and those 2 howling away at the end brought the house down. :clap:
90% evil
ImageImage

softestbullet
Lost but happy at sea

Postby softestbullet » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:03 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:I agree. Their ability to make the switch from regular chest voice to falsetto and back constantly amazes me. And they go soooo high!!!
Listen to both of them at the end of Angels, or Jemaine on CelloTape on the Folk the World cd when he sings, "Come on, come on, ...... stick it together" That's up near my top notes, and he's a manly man! :nod:

Yees! The end of Angels is amazing! Annnnd! I adore the radio show version of 'I'm Not Crying' that I think is sung exclusively by Jemaine - the notes he hits at the end could shatter glass. In a good way. Like, if you ever really wanted to get pleasure out of glass shattering, I think that'd be the way to go. He can hit higher notes than me! Too much talent!
'what is it sebastian? i'm arranging matches'

claire

Postby claire » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:04 pm

oh i do love at the end of angels when they're both singing the 'doin it's so high and then end it with a real deep 'doin it...'

and i love the end of the i'm not crying video on the show when bret just throws his hands up in the air and looks so spent, and by the end they're just whimpering, lol--i just love how they're not afraid to be so over the top silly... :D

and yes SB i love his albi voice too, it is amazing how his accent sounds so perfectly english! (tho i love his real accent more!)

okay how many times can i use the word love in reference to the conchords?? :D :heart:
that's frozen cool...

Return to “Jemaine Clement”