Jemaine's voice...

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Jemaine's voice...

Postby claire » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:00 pm

like in drive by when dave says he hates them sometimes cuz they're from nz and jem says "but you're our bist frind" too cute...
that's frozen cool...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:10 pm

I think I had a crush on anyone who spoke with a New Orleans accent. I had a ridiculous conversation with one guy - I thought he was saying house but he was saying horse therefore I was very confused by the story he was telling me. Personally I heard no hint of Brooklyn in the accent though I've heard people mention that before.

Recently I read an article about the Kiwi accent - how it developed, the difference between Kiwi and Australian accents, the influence of the Maori langauge on the accent and culture - it was so interesting!

I think best tends to sound more like beast than bist right? And sex sounds like six so what does six sound like?
90% evil
ImageImage

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 pm

SheWolf wrote:I'm no expert on Southern accents but to my ear most of them sound overdone on TV & movies. Then again the only place in the south I've been to is New Orleans and they've got their own accent going on there- it's positively dreamy BTW -luv the way they say mah name.

A badly done accent just ruins everything for me. I've recently heard both Ewan McGregor and Clive Owen, 2 total cuties, slaughter an American accent so badly that I simply couldn't continue watching.

You got that right. There is a movie that has two of my favorite actors ever, Judas Kiss with Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson. It was shot in New Orleans. I love Alan, the sexiest voice on the planet, but he can not do an American accent, I don't know what made him think he could do a New Orleans accent!! I can't make out what Emma was trying for, but they were both a big ol' mess. I'm from Southeast Texas and was around the cajun accent all my life. Either you have it or you don't. It's very layered with Southern/French/creole/Caribbean influences. It's a very exotic accent and it's easy to get lost in it.

I've noticed that Australians are better at it, they do blend in better on TV. Anthony LaPaglia, Poppy Montgomery, Simon Baker, and Julian McMann all do exellent American accents.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:50 pm

Add Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, Mel Gilbson, Toni Colette and Rachel Griffiths to that list.
90% evil
ImageImage

claire

Postby claire » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:53 pm

SheWolf wrote:I think best tends to sound more like beast than bist right? And sex sounds like six so what does six sound like?

i don't know i guess it sounds kind of somewhere in the middle?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DAub94aLp3s
that's frozen cool...

claire

Postby claire » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:36 pm

tvldiva wrote: There is a movie that has two of my favorite actors ever, Judas Kiss with Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson. It was shot in New Orleans. I love Alan, the sexiest voice on the planet, but he can not do an American accent, I don't know what made him think he could do a New Orleans accent!! I can't make out what Emma was trying for, but they were both a big ol' mess.

i'm a fan of both of them too but that movie is awful...

while on the subject of foreigners doing american accents i do think hugh laurie does a great job on house... :)
that's frozen cool...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:47 pm

claire wrote:i don't know i guess it sounds kind of somewhere in the middle?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DAub94aLp3s

In that clip it sounds almost like best, leaning toward bist. But in one of the live versions of Sellotape Bret's rambling on in the middle and says "it's love at it's best" and it sounds like beast and my friend and I say it that way now when we're being silly. BTW I love "what about black people?" "They don't like you either."

Hugh Laurie does a perfect American accent. His comedic background probably helped alot with that.
90% evil
ImageImage

claire

Postby claire » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:22 pm

yep when bret says it there it does sound like beast--i didn't know much about hugh laurie until i became a house fan, i looked up a lot of his stuff on youtube with stephen fry and they're a riot--this is one of my faves:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u7geU-4MPOE
that's frozen cool...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:24 pm

I've enjoyed reading all your comments. I think any accent is difficult to master, and some people have an easier time than others. I just love it when I'm totally fooled - when I see a show or a movie and don't know the actor's country of origin, and then they speak with a thick accent of their homeland. Rachel Griffiths (s or no s?) comes to mind when she was on Six feet Under and then I saw her on an interview. Good job!

I think Jemaine does have a good ear, but so does Bret - Nothing Wrong from Folk the World shows some of his let's say "generic southern" accent. Jennifer Aniston's accent was jarring in that film, by the way.
I'm still dying to know what accent Jemaine uses in Gentleman Broncoes. An extra said that it was hard to get used to hearing him use an accent, but that he was very good at it, but she didn't say what type of accent. We'll see.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:29 pm

SheWolf wrote:
indigo_jones wrote:I generally don't fault foreigner actors for bad American accents, because there are plenty of American actors who do atrocious Southern accents. :bang: ;)

I'm no expert on Southern accents but to my ear most of them sound overdone on TV & movies. Then again the only place in the south I've been to is New Orleans and they've got their own accent going on there- it's positively dreamy BTW -luv the way they say mah name.

A badly done accent just ruins everything for me. I've recently heard both Ewan McGregor and Clive Owen, 2 total cuties, slaughter an American accent so badly that I simply couldn't continue watching.

Oh yeah. Ewan's accent in Big Fish almost ruined the movie for me. Albert Finney's was spot on.

As a lifelong Atlantan, I generally hate bad, fake southern accents, but one does perservere. Olympia Dukakis' accent in Steel Magnolias was very exagerrated, but I do know older southern ladies who speak that way. I think she did very well. Julia Roberts in the same movie, who is actually a southern girl for pete's sake, exagerrated her own accent and annoyed me plenty!

I'm going to end my rant before I even get going, but I have a southern accent but not a slow, southern drawl, which is how most people "do" a southern accent. Some of us talk very, very fast! LOL But the absolute worse is when people hear my accent and then say "how are you all". It's yall. Not you all. If you're going to make fun of the way I speak, at least use the right word!!

:hijack: :topic:

As long as Jemaine doesn't adopt a falsetto speaking voice, I'll listen to him all day long. :lol:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:03 pm

Re: Ewan - it's a crime for him to cover up that Scottish accent for any reason. Even if he's playing the President of the US I want to hear that accent. Authenticity be damned.
90% evil
ImageImage

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:17 am

SheWolf wrote:Re: Ewan - it's a crime for him to cover up that Scottish accent for any reason. Even if he's playing the President of the US I want to hear that accent. Authenticity be damned.

Yis. I'm a real sucker for a Scottish accent. James McAvoy, Gerard Butler, heck even Billy Connolley! :P

HBThingy
Half a shapely halibut

Postby HBThingy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:57 am

Don't forget Craig Ferguson!

SheWolf can you link the article about the Kiwi accent? It sounds really interesting.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:59 am

SheWolf wrote:Re: Ewan - it's a crime for him to cover up that Scottish accent for any reason. Even if he's playing the President of the US I want to hear that accent. Authenticity be damned.

Abso-fliping-lutley! That's the one accent that I just can not resist! :eyelashes:
Another Scot that is brilliant with accents is Brian Cox. Wonderful actor, he's done just about every accent under the sun, he's been both a good guy and a bad guy, all done flawlessly.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

H....

Postby H.... » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:52 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Were you "counting coins on the counter"? :wink:
I think "hey man, I just want some muesli" has got to be one of my many favorite lines. I do remember just loving hearing it live. :supz:

Unfortunately not.
Another favourite line from ICP is 'Ladies wouldn't pay you very much for this, looks like you'll never be a concert flautist.' In fact, I just generally love the song, they just sound so deadpan, it is the perfect rip-off song.

Personally, I'm just plain crap at accents.
Throw us your potatoes!

Return to “Jemaine Clement”