R-R-R-R-Random Jemaine Discussion

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: R-R-R-R-Random Jemaine Discussion

Postby songbird » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:26 pm

I can raise an eyebrow :D

I don't think I'd be able to hand a Jem (or Bret) Sugalumps straddle. I would melt and then faint and then scream and I don't even know...mock you're a lukcy girl :wink:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:06 am

SheWolf wrote:Ideally someone should always be next to the receiver of the lumpdance to videotape it. Much like this video which is the closest most of us will get to mock's experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ndUKh- ... re=related

This may actually be even better, lol. There is a lot of thrusting going on. (Although I do not approve of that jacket with those jeans.) The thing I liked best about my experience was the feeling of being wedged between his feet. Does that sound weird? :hrm: :lol:

This is pretty good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyyL6_Nd ... &index=161 (note the man moving away at about 2:57, he can't handle the heat of another man's sugalumps)

Jemaine is doing some classic dance moves. :lol: I especially like the cute bum wiggle at about 1:38. ;)

This is my fave Sugalumps vid from the tour. Jem in that shirt (and those pants :waggle:) I think it's more a bum in the face than sugalumps but it's all good with me. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glP68NLW ... &index=130

Hee hee! "She tried to take his sugalumps!" :lol: I think J's belt buckle really adds a lot to the outfit. :drool:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:20 am

That last one is my fave vid from the tour, I think. SW's gif probably helped with that... :lol:
i think he went commando that night....
Last edited by LauraK on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:21 am

Boy, mock, you sure have some memories! :D
I noticed in the first one the guys were opposites - Bret had on a dark blue shirt and light pants, while Jemaine had jeans (dark blue) and the light top. Cutely coordinated.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:39 pm

mockingbird wrote: I especially like the cute bum wiggle at about 1:38. ;)

90% evil
ImageImage

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:32 pm

SheWolf wrote:
mockingbird wrote: I especially like the cute bum wiggle at about 1:38. ;)

I :heart: J-Dog :roll2:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:45 pm

SheWolf wrote:Image

Need. cold. shower. now.

:bolt:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Yup, I was there that night, sitting right next to Whambi for the 1st show. The 2nd show we were in the same row. I was so flustered by the Sugalumps event that I tossed my camera around like a rag doll. The 'thrusting' took place practicallyrightin front of my face. :D We also got Demon Woman with the sixy gold pants including that blue belt that night. Such a tease.

Posting my video from that night only it goes in & out, sorry.

The viry sixy 'bum wiggle' happens at about 2:38.

"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Ah, footage I know all too well 4ever! :D

We have the same fav sugalumps video SW!

Good grief those gifs! Why does gif form make everything some how dirtier? lol I guess it's the slowing down... There's 5 minutes of staring well spent! 8)
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:05 am

Thanks for putting that up, 4ECF. I'm sorry Jemaine's hotness apparently broke your camera, lol. J's part in the beginning cracked me up. "...that's why I always keep them in - front..." :lol:

So then I got sucked into the other videos at the bottom, like I always do when I go to YouTube which is why I don't go there very often, I always end up spending a really long time there. Anyway I was watching their clip from the Late Late Show.

(I know everyone has already seen it, it's just there for reference.) So while I was watching this, I couldn't help but contrast this relatively early video with the one I'd just seen and it just struck me how much things have really changed for them. I know this isn't an earth shattering insight or anything, lol. I think it was on my mind to begin with because I was just reading the Come Out Lurkers thread and Dierdre's account of how things were back in the day compared with seeing them last tour. Like, for instance right at the beginning Bret says "Hello, we're Flight of the Conchords," and there's this silence from the crowd which allows the guys to then act like it's a sort of awkward moment, lol. That could never happen now because as soon as Bret says "Hello we're Flight of the Conchords" everybody starts screaming. Also there was such a rich subtext of body language between Bret and Jemaine that doesn't happen as much anymore because now they play such large venues. I mean, there is still plenty of body language but they don't seem to rely on it as much for deliberate comedic effect.

I think they've dealt with the changes well and I think their current act is funny and brilliant but it's still sad to me they way they had to adapt. That's the price of success I guess and I know this subject has been talked to death and it's probably especially ironic coming from me, who is a relative johnny-come-lately to the FOTC scene. It's just that I watch these old clips and it makes me feel a bit melancholy because they can never really be that again, these characters who are shy and awkward and trying so hard to be rock stars, lol. Well, folk stars. ;) Like I said, they're still great, just different.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:46 am

mockingbird wrote: Like, for instance right at the beginning Bret says "Hello, we're Flight of the Conchords," and there's this silence from the crowd which allows the guys to then act like it's a sort of awkward moment, lol. That could never happen now because as soon as Bret says "Hello we're Flight of the Conchords" everybody starts screaming. Also there was such a rich subtext of body language between Bret and Jemaine that doesn't happen as much anymore because now they play such large venues. I mean, there is still plenty of body language but they don't seem to rely on it as much for deliberate comedic effect.

I think they've dealt with the changes well and I think their current act is funny and brilliant but it's still sad to me they way they had to adapt. That's the price of success I guess and I know this subject has been talked to death and it's probably especially ironic coming from me, who is a relative johnny-come-lately to the FOTC scene. It's just that I watch these old clips and it makes me feel a bit melancholy because they can never really be that again, these characters who are shy and awkward and trying so hard to be rock stars, lol. Well, folk stars. ;) Like I said, they're still great, just different.

Gah, I never really thought about that, mock. :cry: Now I'm all nostalgic over something I never got to experience.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:46 pm

mockingbird wrote: Like, for instance right at the beginning Bret says "Hello, we're Flight of the Conchords," and there's this silence from the crowd which allows the guys to then act like it's a sort of awkward moment, lol. That could never happen now because as soon as Bret says "Hello we're Flight of the Conchords" everybody starts screaming.
Or how songs like Business Time, Ladies of the World and Kissing used to be more humorous/ironic because they were awkward attempts of nerdy characters to appeal to women. But now they do appeal to women and that takes a little of the fun out of it. You could see the seeds of that kind of adulation on a very small scale in A Texan Odyssey.

mockingbird wrote: t's still sad to me they way they had to adapt. That's the price of success I guess and I know this subject has been talked to death and it's probably especially ironic coming from me, who is a relative johnny-come-lately to the FOTC scene. It's just that I watch these old clips and it makes me feel a bit melancholy because they can never really be that again, these characters who are shy and awkward and trying so hard to be rock stars, lol. Well, folk stars. ;)

It's not sad to me that they had to adapt.
I think it's good to be forced to change and expand and rethink what you are doing and that Bret and Jemaine are talented enough to know how to do it and to pull it off. Not that they made massive changes just that that innocent act doesn't work as well on a larger scale and it would be pathetic to try to force that into what they are now. Besides once the TV show hit that's really where those stage characters went and in an effort to distinguish FOTC the TV show from FOTC the real folk duo they really needed to drop some of that type of banter from their live shows.

I know what you mean about melancholy though. I'm not an old timer by any stretch. I only discovered them when the first season went to DVD. But it is amazing to think that even the summer before that - was in 2007? - they were anonymous in NYC doing the little promo shows before the show came out. Then a mere 2 years later they sold out 2 nights at Radio City. It's such a fast rise. It's nice to look back at the older times when things were less frenetic and they were probably a bit more wide eyed and didn't know what was about to hit them.
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm

SheWolf wrote:
mockingbird wrote: Like, for instance right at the beginning Bret says "Hello, we're Flight of the Conchords," and there's this silence from the crowd which allows the guys to then act like it's a sort of awkward moment, lol. That could never happen now because as soon as Bret says "Hello we're Flight of the Conchords" everybody starts screaming.
Or how songs like Business Time, Ladies of the World and Kissing used to be more humorous/ironic because they were awkward attempts of nerdy characters to appeal to women. But now they do appeal to women and that takes a little of the fun out of it. You could see the seeds of that kind of adulation on a very small scale in A Texan Odyssey.

Yes, exactly. You know how they used to tell the ladies to line up by the back door for kisses after the show? :lol: I remember an interview Bret did where he talks about the first time the ladies actually did line up by the back door and how surprised the guys were by that, lol.

It's not sad to me that they had to adapt.
I think it's good to be forced to change and expand and rethink what you are doing and that Bret and Jemaine are talented enough to know how to do it and to pull it off. Not that they made massive changes just that that innocent act doesn't work as well on a larger scale and it would be pathetic to try to force that into what they are now. Besides once the TV show hit that's really where those stage characters went and in an effort to distinguish FOTC the TV show from FOTC the real folk duo they really needed to drop some of that type of banter from their live shows.

I hear you. It's true. They couldn't stay the same forever, they'd stagnate. I guess I feel like I would rather see them stay more under the radar and be able to control how and when the changes occured, rather than having to adapt to outside influences so much. Not that they weren't in control of their act, although you could say that during the '08 tour maybe they weren't so much. It *would* be pathetic for them to try to force the innocent thing because clearly that just doesn't work anymore and like I said they're still great in their current form but I miss the old act a little bit, even though I wasn't there, lol. Ah well you can't go home again I guess.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:02 pm

SheWolf wrote:I know what you mean about melancholy though. I'm not an old timer by any stretch. I only discovered them when the first season went to DVD. But it is amazing to think that even the summer before that - was in 2007? - they were anonymous in NYC doing the little promo shows before the show came out. Then a mere 2 years later they sold out 2 nights at Radio City. It's such a fast rise. It's nice to look back at the older times when things were less frenetic and they were probably a bit more wide eyed and didn't know what was about to hit them.

Yeah.

Hey - did you guys see the photo of Jemaine at Largo on his birthday thread? So he's in LA I guess? I wonder if he's doing promos for Despicable Me. Or maybe he's just there to visit vmh. ;) Fess up, Vanessa - Jemaine's staying at your house, isn't he? Don't make me get my thumb out again. :thumb: :lol:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Shhhhhh!

I'll get back to you on that later. First, I have some early morning "business" to attend to.

:whistle:

Return to “Jemaine Clement”