Baby news...

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: Baby news...

Postby SheWolf » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:07 am

Thanks pukeko. I recall the way Jemaine says "maori" is something closer to "maoli" or "maodi" it's a hard sound to spell.

The name sounds better with a softer R. So it is ee-rEE-ah not ee-rYE-ah? And it's not really EE it's more like an EH at the beginning?
90% evil
ImageImage

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:22 am

SheWolf wrote:So it is ee-rEE-ah not ee-rYE-ah? And it's not really EE it's more like an EH?

..try and pronounce it as if it was a spanish name.. I think that's close to maori and should sound something like
ee-rye-ah
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:34 am

..try and pronounce it as if it was a spanish name.. I think that's close to maori and should sound something like
ee-rye-ah

I just tried that and it sounded quite Irish.
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:38 am

Sherry wrote:I was so pleased when I heard. Congrats to them both and welcome to the world Sophocles. Loving the name also :)

Might explain the 3 week break in filming also ;)

Wow, where have I been?? I know I've been quite busy these days but they must have been very, very good at hiding that little tidbit!!

Yes, the 3 week break would explain alot. Since due dates are given out when you first find out, that could be why Rhys had a mini-tour planned. It's not like it's his baby! :angelic:

My congratulations go out to the new Mom and Dad and, of course, to little Sophocles. So glad you could join us at such an exciting time!!! :nana: :nana: :yay: :nana: :nana: :yay:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby pukeko » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 am

SheWolf wrote:Thanks pukeko. I recall the way Jemaine says "maori" is something closer to "maoli" or "maodi" it's a hard sound to spell.

The name sounds better with a softer R. So it is ee-rEE-ah not ee-rYE-ah? And it's not really EE it's more like an EH at the beginning?

Ok: Quick maori lesson.

The vowels, A E I O U, are pronounced ah (as in "Ah-ha!"), eh (like the "e" when saying the letter "F"), ee (like the "ee" in "feet"), oh (like the "ou" in "cough"), oo/ew (like the "ew" in "chew").

So Iraia = ee-rah-ee-ah = ee-rye-ah

And you're now set up to pronounce just about anything in maori, bar a few constanants. I've found that those vowels are pretty universal with most non-european languages, so it was quite helpful when I was learning Japanese.

You could practice by saying "pukeko" :biggrin:

You are right about the "r", it is a more difficult sound than it gets credit for. Not hard-out rolled like in spanish or drawn out like the Irish, but somewhere between "L" and "D" would be dead on. So "maori" sounds a lot like "mouldy", which once was a source of teasing of anyone trying to teach me to pronounce it properly <--- ashamed of younger self :sosad:

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:46 am

pukeko,

SheWolf will send you money to fly to NYC, put you up in a grand hotel, tour about town seeking Bret and Jemaine, but mostly you'll teach us all maori. Trying to learn it on this thread is 'trying' to say the least. We've been seeking another reason to have a NYC fanbase meet up and I think this sounds perfect!

Don't you agree, SW? :nod: :nod: :nod:

dangerous person

Postby dangerous person » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:26 am

*has fainting salts at the ready for SW*

viry interesting pukeko, thanks
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:15 pm

pukeko wrote:You are right about the "r", it is a more difficult sound than it gets credit for. Not hard-out rolled like in spanish or drawn out like the Irish, but somewhere between "L" and "D" would be dead on. So "maori" sounds a lot like "mouldy", which once was a source of teasing of anyone trying to teach me to pronounce it properly <--- ashamed of younger self :sosad:

Thanks again Pukeko but boy does my head hurt. :bang: I'd like to think I'm good at this stuff and generally I think I am. Yet when I heard the way Jemaine said "maori" I had one helluva time duplicating it. This is a tough sound to get hold of. The only kiwi I ever knew said the word more like mary. and she was Maori. I've read that there are 13 different ways to pronounce that word. :doh:

Initially I was thinking it would be better if they called Little Magnificently Cute Mr Poopy Pants by his middle name but now I'm convinced that isn't true. Let's hope this child never leaves NZ where people are more familiar with Maori pronunciation coz his name will surely be slaughtered elsewhere. I'm still not sure I get how this name should sound. ee-rah-ee ah sounds lovely but it doesn't sound the same to me as ee-rye-ah. I need to hear someone say it. Jemaine??
90% evil
ImageImage

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:59 pm

I'm still not sure I get how this name should sound. ee-rah-ee ah sounds lovely but it doesn't sound the same to me as ee-rye-ah. I need to hear someone say it.

Old Mr. Jemaine had a boy, EE Rye EE Rye O... :baby:
:rock: :dance: :jc: :nana:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Not that anyone cares but I'll be calling this kid either Clem, Jem Jr., The J-Pup, or my favorite, Little Mr. Poopy Pants. :babycrawl:

However, after looking up some Maori boy names I think there are some good options such as Haraki, Hemi, Kiki and Kiroa. Is Taika not a Maori name? They have Taiko (female) but no Taika. (sorry. I'm a geek about names. I could go on and on).
90% evil
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:35 pm

Good to see the baby smiles are seeing some use here :lol:

H....

Postby H.... » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:23 pm

SheWolf wrote:Not that anyone cares but I'll be calling this kid either Clem, Jem Jr., The J-Pup, or my favorite, Little Mr. Poopy Pants. :babycrawl:

I think I'll go with Clem.

I'm now mightily confused by the whole pronunciation thing. French was not my strong point. Hence my love of Foux Da Fa Fa.

For Sherry: :babycrawl: :baby: :family: :babyblanket:
Throw us your potatoes!

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:33 am

Oh dear. The Baby Name Fashion Police have the knives out for Jemaine and Miranda. How vewy wude.

I have to say, I don't mind Sophocles Iraia Clement as a name. Yep, it's old-fashioned and unusual, but it's also sweetly charming. I truly don't object to many names, as long as they're not actively undermining a kid (See Talulah Does The Hula From Hawaii for real cruelty). But as long as a name is given with love and thought, it's great. It's individual, and it has a nice story behind it. And speaking as someone with a relatively unusual name, I can vouch for the fact that it's really nice to be the only one of you in your class. So BabyNames.com, I say this with affection: you can suck it, jerkfaces.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:57 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote: as long as a name is given with love and thought, it's great. It's individual, and it has a nice story behind it. .
I think all names are given with love but parents also need to realize that their kid is going to live in the real world . IMHO Sophocles isn't horrible but it isn't great either, it's sort of borderline mock-worthy. However, the minute I heard Bronx Wentz I knew it had Sophocles beat. Bronx isn't even horrible on it's own but paired with that last name it's a joke. Bronx Clement, for example, sounds more melodious.

ASmallTurnip wrote:And speaking as someone with a relatively unusual name, I can vouch for the fact that it's really nice to be the only one of you in your class.
Your name may not be common but I wouldn't say it's unusual. I have a friend named Alina. I think it's the most beautiful name. She's never met anyone else with that name and neither have I. That's an example of what I consider a rare name but not unusual as in naming your Apple or something. However, since Sophocles is apparently one of Miranda's grandfather's names it probably doesn't seem that unusual to her so to each their own. I just really hope they don't call him Sophocles all the time. He needs a perky nickname like...Buzzy!
90% evil
ImageImage

Val2150

Postby Val2150 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:22 pm

I have a feeling Jem Jr. is going to be called by his middle name for some reason. I love the name Iraia - it's beautiful and sounds very exotic.

I hope we get to see a picture of the little cutie eventually - I bet he's a handsome devil, just like his dad. :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

Return to “Jemaine Clement”