A wee bit about Jemaine

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
ardy
Redheads not warheads

Re: A wee bit about Jemaine

Postby ardy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:42 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
mohumbhai mania wrote:I grew up just across Lake Superior from Thunder Bay, ON in Upper Michigan, watching loads of Canadian TV. They nailed it perfectly from the deadly dull current events game show "Headline Challenge" to the PSAs about "The Woodchuck". Truly great stuff, worth seeking out. I should take my own advice...

I'm convinced that the UP of Michigan is just an extension of Canada.

The first time I crossed the Mackinac Bridge I thought I was in a different country. Everything looked different, people talked different. Was just weird. :shock:

upper peninsula of michigan = australia
lower peninsula of michigan = new zealand
...it's just that simple.
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:47 am

ardy wrote:
kellysouthpaw wrote:
mohumbhai mania wrote:I grew up just across Lake Superior from Thunder Bay, ON in Upper Michigan, watching loads of Canadian TV. They nailed it perfectly from the deadly dull current events game show "Headline Challenge" to the PSAs about "The Woodchuck". Truly great stuff, worth seeking out. I should take my own advice...

I'm convinced that the UP of Michigan is just an extension of Canada.

The first time I crossed the Mackinac Bridge I thought I was in a different country. Everything looked different, people talked different. Was just weird. :shock:

upper peninsula of michigan = australia
lower peninsula of michigan = new zealand
...it's just that simple.

True that noise! :supz:

Seriously - nothing up there but snow, cold, Youpers and trees.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:36 pm

I think its great they are getting to do this. Jemaine and Bret have worked flat out on the Conchords for the past few years. At the expense of their other projects. Yes they have obviously done ok out of it all now, enough to afford them the chance to go back to NZ and do new things.

Jemaine and Taika have a long history of collaborating and I am sure they will both be happy to get stuck into something for NZ TV.

TBH if the Conchords go on hiatus or don't make another TV series, it won't be they are forgetting their fans elsewhere. They have said in the past that Conchords was a part time gig and they both liked to work on other things. So they are doing exactly that.

I know their now huge following means that people want them to keep going with either the TV series or albums or whatever, but I'd have no problem them going and doing other things for a while. And if and when they decide to do something Conchords wise again then :) Hopefully it'd be getting back to live tours with new material rather than a TV show and playing their Greatest Hits on the road. And yes, I'm a stuck record in that department. I like them live, without having seen or heard all the songs first.

And also I'd hate to see them outstay their welcome on TV and have people saying they were getting crap and the show should have ended in season 4 not 12 or something :lol:

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Well-said Sherry :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:39 pm

True that noise!

Seriously - nothing up there but snow, cold, Youpers and trees.

We have bald eagles! And wolves! You "trolls" are just jelz because your accent is an evil version of ours.

I think its great they are getting to do this.

Oh, I completely agree. I was completely won over by Oscar's sense of humor in that interview, and it would be great if those shows somehow made their way over here. Also, any time away can only refresh and improve the Conchords concept, as I've gathered.

Maybe the lads will rejuvenate the NZ TV scene so much we'll get "TVNZ America". :D
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:44 pm

And also I'd hate to see them outstay their welcome on TV and have people saying they were getting crap and the show should have ended in season 4 not 12 or something

We here in the states do have a tendency to chew people up and spit them out. I think I'd die if I ever saw them on Entertainment Tonight or some such show and that's where the famous in America end up.

I just want to see them stay real and productive in their chosen fields - whether or not that means I literally get to "see" them. I want to see 'them' happy. They're way too good for the BS and things that could eventually suck the life right out of them.
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm

We here in the states do have a tendency to chew people up and spit them out. I think I'd die if I ever saw them on Entertainment Tonight or some such show and that's where the famous in America end up.

Yes, once Mary Hart says, "I love those guys, they're wacky!" after the "spontaneous" interview, that's the end...
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:52 pm

slut_angel22@yahoo wrote:I just want to see them stay real and productive in their chosen fields - whether or not that means I literally get to "see" them. I want to see 'them' happy. They're way too good for the BS and things that could eventually suck the life right out of them.

What's that quote from Texas Odyssey? ..."Exposure in the American market is like tramping - too much will kill you, not enough and you might as well stay home." (Or something like it)

Or, to quote another famous line, "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em..." :)

So yeah, I agree that it will be good for them to leave this three ring circus behind and do something else creatively for a while. Also, I have to admit that as a mom of small children, I think a lot about Jemaine and his new family. I imagine he feels a pressing need to slow things down a bit and spend some time with them at home. I'm happy for him that it looks like he might be doing that.

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Also, I have to admit that as a mom of small children, I think a lot about Jemaine and his new family. I imagine he feels a pressing need to slow things down a bit and spend some time with them at home. I'm happy for him that it looks like he might be doing that.

Exactly - they are the most important thing in his life, they have to come first.
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:16 pm

mockingbird wrote:
slut_angel22@yahoo wrote:I just want to see them stay real and productive in their chosen fields - whether or not that means I literally get to "see" them. I want to see 'them' happy. They're way too good for the BS and things that could eventually suck the life right out of them.

What's that quote from Texas Odyssey? ..."Exposure in the American market is like tramping - too much will kill you, not enough and you might as well stay home." (Or something like it)

Or, to quote another famous line, "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em..." :)

So yeah, I agree that it will be good for them to leave this three ring circus behind and do something else creatively for a while. Also, I have to admit that as a mom of small children, I think a lot about Jemaine and his new family. I imagine he feels a pressing need to slow things down a bit and spend some time with them at home. I'm happy for him that it looks like he might be doing that.

Yis I think about him and his family as well!

Selfishly, I'd love to see them make a show/music/tour in the US forever.

But realistically I just want them to do what makes them happiest! :)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:49 pm

I love the title “In the Beginning there was…Nothing.” I wonder if the kiddie TV version of the play Jem & Taika did some time ago will get made?

Last year was quite the year for him, becoming a Grammy winner, an Emmy nominee, a husband, a father, touring the US & making a TV show etc. I'm tired just thinking about it.

I’m not overly concerned about him needing more time with his family because his profession allows him more leeway with that than most. I’m reasonably certain that he has been with family most of this past year anyway. Nevertheless it would be nice if he could settle in a bit, not be on the road, and have a more relaxing schedule.
90% evil
ImageImage

WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby WomanInThePark » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:21 pm

slut_angel22@yahoo wrote:
And also I'd hate to see them outstay their welcome on TV and have people saying they were getting crap and the show should have ended in season 4 not 12 or something

I think I'd die if I ever saw them on Entertainment Tonight or some such show and that's where the famous in America end up.

Oh God--or hosting some terrible reality show. Please no.
It's just some weird self-battle. I think this has been talked about before but it's just like
:halo: :You really want them to end on high note, self. We've talked about this. They should get back to their lives
:devil: :SHUT UP ANGEL WE WANT EIGHT MORE SEASONS
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:58 pm

I think it's really great that they can take time to do other things. The problem is the TV show format. You have a season, then a break, then another season, and that's just the way it always has been.

The ideal situation would be for the guys to go off and do all sort of fun and creative other projects, then come back to the TV show two years later without missing a beat. Do you think HBO would let them do that?

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:17 pm

SuzyBatt wrote:I think it's really great that they can take time to do other things. The problem is the TV show format. You have a season, then a break, then another season, and that's just the way it always has been.

The ideal situation would be for the guys to go off and do all sort of fun and creative other projects, then come back to the TV show two years later without missing a beat. Do you think HBO would let them do that?

it worked for The Sopranos....i'd waited forever for the new season. seemed like they were off for 2 years then back on again. i'd have no problem doing the same for FoTC.
HBO is a machine based on revenue and success - as long as it's humming along swimmingly, they'll be fine.

but in all reality, if this is all we get from big J and little B, i'm a happy camper. there's always dvd, youtube and obscure little dive-bar appearances to look forward to...
can't imagine, however, that the talent inside these two guys will stay suppressed and anything they do in the future will be celebrated...from near and far.

we can all be proud to say, "i saw them when..." or "i went to their show in..."
whatever happens, good goin and good luck, eh?
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:19 pm

SuzyBatt wrote:I think it's really great that they can take time to do other things. The problem is the TV show format. You have a season, then a break, then another season, and that's just the way it always has been.

The thing is, the Conchords have never really conformed to the industry way of doing things. So I doubt they really worry about doing so now.

I always try to remember that the Conchords, while known in the US as a TV show act first, was originally a live comedy/music act and they toured, played fesitvals etc long before the BBC radio show and HBO came along. The TV show has always been secondary in my mind, even though its what has gotten them more attention in certain parts of the world.

Its a vehicle for the Conchords talents, but its also a drain on them IMHO. This second season has seen a lot of people saying the songs are not as strong in many respects. The wealth of material built up over a number of seasons touring a new live act (02/03/04) gave them some great songs that had time to develop and become the classics people know today.

I am not really desparate to see a 3rd season or more of a TV show tbh. I don't think creatively they can keep coming up with stories for more seasons as well as material. I think for themselves they need a break. If there are no more seasons after this one, its not a biggie in my book. I can understand it upsetting those who have known them from their TV show first, but it really does not define the Conchords nor is it the be all and end all of who and what they are as performers. They are so much more than a TV show and if they are no longer confined and pigeonholed like that it'd work for me :)

Also here in the UK TV does not work like it does in the US. We don't have long long seasons of shows (22 episodes a season with a mid season break? wtf is that all about) or cancel a show mid season. We tend to do much shorter runs of drama and comedy shows, usually 6-8 episodes, at most 12. And also have longer breaks in between often. Dr Who is a prime example of this. Season ended, then we got a Christmas special just gone, 4 one offs to be aired over the year, another Christmas special and then a new season with a new Doctor.

I again like that our TV is not set in stone and has the ability to be flexible and inventive in its programming. Alas the US market is far more commercially and ratings driven by networks than it is here. Very cutthroat over there.

Just sayin :)

Return to “Jemaine Clement”