New film from novel Predicament (link in 1st post) SPOILERS

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: New film from novel Predicament

Postby mockingbird » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:06 pm

SheWolf wrote:I thought he looked too old to be playing someone who is still obsessed with high school revenge. I thought the uber nerdiness of the costuming only emphasized his manly, rather than boyish, assets & that juxtaposition gave the whole thing an odd feel to me.

For me this added to the pathos of the movie. Like, he's in his late 20s and still obsessed with what happened to him in high school. Move on, dude. Neither Lily nor wheelchair guy seemed particularly young to me, either which was good because it was believeable that they were all from the same era.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Yip good point and I'm sure that was the point, somewhat (thought I did feel that Lily seemed younger than Jarrod & that he was older than late 20s) and part of why I was fairly perplexed by this film the first time I saw it. I thought I was meant to be laughing at stuff that I didn't find funny. Jarrod was more pitiful than sympathetic. I think that's what Taika was going for but that type of humor feels awkward to me.

Okay so where can I find Predicament - seems it's out of print.
90% evil
ImageImage

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

SheWolf wrote:Yip good point and I'm sure that was the point, somewhat (thought I did feel that Lily seemed younger than Jarrod & that he was older than late 20s) and part of why I was fairly perplexed by this film the first time I saw it. I thought I was meant to be laughing at stuff that I didn't find funny. Jarrod was more pitiful than sympathetic. I think that's what Taika was going for but that type of humor feels awkward to me.

AmazonUK seems to have some
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Predicament-Ron ... 202&sr=8-1
ImageImageImageImage

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Alibris has helped me out in the past, too.

abebooks.com is even better.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:09 pm

eorious wrote:
Venus wrote:Ooh exciting news! Funny how they've changed the book cover too. Can't wait for information about this film :D

The new book cover may have Jemaine's glasses but it certainly doesn't have his lips. :rolls:

Haha true, they're way off :lol:. Maybe they didn't want to give too much away ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:58 pm

SheWolf wrote: I thought he looked too old to be playing someone who is still obsessed with high school revenge.

You are never too old... it takes time to perfect. Mwhahaha !!!! I am plotting right now :twisted:

And if you are looking for books I always start with Powells since they usually have a way of getting stuff cheap.
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 pm

DangerMouse wrote:You are never too old... it takes time to perfect. Mwhahaha !!!! I am plotting right now :twisted:

:lol: Be careful with those nunchucks, DM.

kikiexpress
Giving the paper to the people

Postby kikiexpress » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:27 pm

LauraK wrote:I tell ya....in Eagle VS Shark I'd have bought him as 19. For real. Don't know if it was the mullet or the glasses or just the immature, awkward-dorkiness he infused Jarrod with, but he came off quite young to me.

But now? No way could I imagine him playing a 15 yr old. I'm curious to see how they're re-written the character (if that's who he's playing) and if not- just who he'll be! :)

I agree when I saw him in EvsS I thought he was around his early 20s in the film but in the back of my mind I kept on saying he's to old to seem like he's in his early 20's. Since the book is described as a coming of age kind of story it would be hard for Jemaine to do that since of his age. But maybe with some tweaking he might actually look a little younger and maybe act the part well :D but I guess we just have to wait and see.

Plus you guys are really making me want to read the book now haha. I have so many books to read for my IB english class next year that I don't know if I should get the book and make my reading list even longer :doh: Sadly if I do get it I would have to read it first then any of the other books I have to read for my class haha.
ImageImageImage
We are one heart, one mind, one soul.
-Quote of my life

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 pm

Thanks, Kiki. Glad to know it's not just me! :) I dunno....I knew his real age (when they filmed it) in the movie but he just looked so darn young to me.

As the Master Thespian would say: "Acting!!" Jemaine's doing it right. :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:48 pm

Forgive me .. I just woke up,having past out from the heat here in Texas. But in EvsS doesn't he say he is 27 yrs old? :|
ImageImageImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:17 am

He may have, I'm just saying that I'd have bought him being like 19-22 since he came off as very young in it for some reason. (To me. :)) :dunno:
ImageImage

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:18 am

LauraK wrote:He may have, I'm just saying that I'd have bought him being like 19-22 since he came off as very young in it for some reason. (To me. :)) :dunno:

Oh yeah got yeah.. sorry.. :|
I see what your saying.. maybe I should fully wake up before reading posts.. :oops:
ImageImageImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:33 am

No, no- don't worry! :goodman: If he said he was 27, they meant him to be that age- it just came across younger to me (and Kiki!) for some reason. I think I just assumed it since he was sooo immature and had that personality of one who isn't very grown up. (Though there are plenty of men in their 30's and 40's who do as well!) :)
ImageImage

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:14 am

SheWolf wrote:

It's just been reprinted: http://www.dunmore.co.nz/books/Predicam ... 99388.html

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Woo hoo. :clap:
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “Jemaine Clement”