Gentlemen Broncos - Discuss the actual film in here please

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Re: Gentlemen Broncos - Discuss the actual film in here please

Postby Red » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:52 am

4ever, I agree that Michael Arguano was wonderful and subtle and heartbreaking in this and he is very talented. I'm glad he's on my radar now and I'm looking forward to watching him in the future.

Laura, I could see a Chevalier spin off type movie. They really don't tell you what happens to him in the end of GB so perhaps he goes on a grand journey to rediscover himself. He could go home to Canada and find redemption and love. :lol:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:04 am

Well, five of us saw it in NYC on Saturday, and I think we were all happily surprised. We all commented on the strong cast. Down the line, everyone played their part(s) very well. I expected to like Jemaine, but I was so taken with Michael Angarano. He was the "awww" character, and without a strong actor, the film would fail. He brought his A game, and the film worked largely because of him. I roared at some of the supporting cast - job well done! :thumb:

That's not to say our dear Jemaine was chopped liver - he was excellent, as I knew he would be, after seeing so many clips of Chevalier. It was nice to see his entire performance, not just youtube bits. He has shown yet another side of his performing ability, and I for one look forward to seeing what he does next.

This is a sweet, funny, heartwrenching movie, and I can't wait to see it again to catch all the things I missed the first time - kind of like watching FoTC on HBO, it needs more than one viewing.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:52 am

Nancy wrote:This is a sweet, funny, heartwrenching movie, and I can't wait to see it again to catch all the things I missed the first time - kind of like watching FoTC on HBO, it needs more than one viewing.

Yay! I'm glad you liked it Nancy. I can't wait to see it again next week. I was a smidge distracted the first time so I'm sure I'll catch lots of new things and hidden treasures.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:05 pm

I'll spare you the type of review the movie critic in me would give and just say that I liked Dr. C, the opening credits and Michael A's character.
90% evil
ImageImage

Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Hot Jam » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Hey there - Well, my husband and I saw the movie on Friday and overall, we thought it was very good! Very funny and solid character presentations. Jemaine was fabulous (it was so good to finally see his other scenes). I also loved, loved, loved the cheesy sci-fi stuff very much - I wished that there was more of it! (I'm weird that way.) Jemaine really knocked his performance right out of the park - he's such a wonderful, stand-out character actor, I swear! I did have some issues though:

I could have done - and the movie actually could have done IMO - without the gross-out/violence-for-no-reason stuff like the explosively-pooping snake, the rat poison-poop dipped blow darts, the shooting of said darts nearly at a cat and then actually hitting Benji's mom, and the various scenes of vomiting/vomit kissing. I mean, I'm not trying to be a wuss here, I just didn't think the story needed or was enhanced by some of those situations. Sam, Michael and Hannah from the cheap zoo and the others were quite good - all of the characters were interesting and well acted but no one else in the main roles besides Jemaine seemed to really act outside of their usual, as-seen-before parameters. For me, that did make some of their time on screen drag a bit, if that makes any sense.

After seeing this though, I'm more intrigued than ever (if that's possible) to see Jemaine in a truly dramatic role - and on a giant screen...He's truly quite intense even when he's being funny (as we here know well :D :heartbeat: ). I loved the work shop scene with the girl and her character named Tea Cup. Shoot, that was some funny stuff!

The one other down-side was that it was us and two other people (older gentlemen and not together) at the showing. My husband made me snort-laugh out loud during the movie when he whispered his assessment that they were probably cheesy sci-fi writers themselves (they both indeed looked the part! Oh, and they were laughing to beat the band all throughout.). :lol:

Anyway, it was the very first showing and early afternoon. Hopefully, more people went that evening and over the weekend and found it to be the enjoyable experience that it is and also discovered the wonderfulness that is Jemaine. :nod:
"Where does the instrument begin and the man start?"
"Funny you should say that. That's how I feel when I play it."
- Bret and Jemaine, Omnichord banter, Radio City Music Hall, 4/15/2009

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:54 am

Hot Jam wrote:I could have done - and the movie actually could have done IMO - without the gross-out/violence-for-no-reason stuff like the explosively-pooping snake, the rat poison-poop dipped blow darts, the shooting of said darts nearly at a cat and then actually hitting Benji's mom, and the various scenes of vomiting/vomit kissing. I mean, I'm not trying to be a wuss here, I just didn't think the story needed or was enhanced by some of those situations. Sam, Michael and Hannah from the cheap zoo and the others were quite good - all of the characters were interesting and well acted but no one else in the main roles besides Jemaine seemed to really act outside of their usual, as-seen-before parameters. For me, that did make some of their time on screen drag a bit, if that makes any sense.

That's what I thought too. But I found the scene where Jennifer Coolidge gets hit with the dart to be funny. After seeing Jemaine in GB and reading all the press related stuff, I've been getting crazy ideas. Like wouldn't it be awesome to see Jemaine work with Jennifer Coolidge again...in a Christopher Guest movie? :pray:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:07 am

Oh, Jemaine would be so perfect in a Christopher Guest movie! :nod:
I'm reminded of the Tongan Ninja making of, where he's pretending to be a biscuit-factory worker. :roll2:
Image Image

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:37 pm

ok here it goes!....I was of course disappointed that most of the best parts of the movie were in the trailer as is par for the course these days...I mean leave alittle more for us to enjoy once we actually see the dang thing already! I remember when first seeing Napolean Dynamite I just scratched my head and wondered why everyone else thought it was soo funny. I did this with GB as well, excpet of course for the naming workshop scene(by far the best scene in the movie). I thought that Michael Angarano did a great job, as well as Jennifer Coolidge...but I agree with the critics that thought it was a stinker except for Jem. I do think it warrants another viewing though. Maybe I'll change my mind like I did for ND. Did anyone else REALLY HATE Lonnie and Tabitha??? I really could have done without that whole bit of the movie. I also thought Sam Rockwell was waaaay underutilized. Like I said, maybe I'll change my mind with more viewings.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:03 pm

And here's my review:

Overall, I liked it. I agree with CJ that it wasn't as funny as I'd hoped but we still had lots of laughs.

Benjamin was such a sweet, but bland character- I really felt for him. He obviously led a sheltered life being home-schooled and helping his Mom in the nightgown shop (??) while writing his sci-fi stories. I'd have liked to know a bit more about his Dad, whom he obviously idolized and envisioned as Bronco, and even a bit more about him and his Mom. Jared and Jerusha introduce us to these characters, as well as others, without much characterization so it's hard to care about them a whole lot when the action starts happening. The basic thread of the story was pretty slim and was held up between the movies-within-the-movie and Jemaine's terrific scenes. But I did enjoy Benjamin's imagining of Bronco and the Yeast Lords.....lol, I'd go see that movie! :)

The gross-out scenes weren't as bad as I'd expected. The only one I really disliked was the puking one.

CJ, I hated Lonnie and Tabitha! When she took his money on the bus and spent it on a bunch of crap....oooooo! I wanted to smack her, lol! And of course them stealing his story, screwing him on the money and then changing it?? I saw that coming. The whole scene with Tabitha coming after him when he ran out of the theater was ridiculous....just a vehicle to the gross-out puke-kiss. (I actually thought Jacob might hurl, lol! Poor kid gagged a bit...) And Lonnie creeped me out. So bravo to them.

I was glad when he'd finally had enough and went after Chevalier. When he whacked him with that pillow, the 2 guys in the theater were whooping and saying "Yeah! Hit him again!" Lol.

(I particularly enjoyed when Chevalier tries to save face by attempting bribery in offering Benjamin a trip to anywhere in the lower 48 states and calls his 'screenplay' "Yeasty Boys," LOL!) :lol:

The scene in the jail cell was my favorite non-Chevalier one. I didn't see it coming and it was so sweet and wonderful and he was redeemed. :D Yay Mom!

Now Jemaine. While I thought everyone in the movie played their roles perfectly (Mike White killed me playing Bronco, lol! Lamely "whipping" his hair around, speaking his lines with no emotion...lol...he was really great) Jemaine was the best. And I believe I'd be saying that even if I didn't have an, um......intense admiration for him. :love:

I thought the workshop scenes were great but I really liked watching him describe his art....the Cyborg Harpies and their mammary cannons! :lol: And the one whose face definitely looked like his own, lol! I'd seen the pics online but seeing them on the big screen was better. Also, watching his face as he taked to his agent on the phone...just seeing the desperation. He's good at showing emotions through expression only.

He didn't make me hate or even dislike Chevalier too much....I mainly understood he was desperate and I felt sorry for him. Even if I was glad to see him on the floor bleeding. Well done, Jemaine!

A film for the ages? Lol! No. It's not for everyone but I know I'll buy it and watch it many more times.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:01 pm

YES!Yeasty Boys! LMAO Yeah I didnt hate on Chevalier too much, mainly because he hated on that girl's character name of "Teacup" and that was freakin hilarious...that look he gives her had me cracking up! But yes, on the floor bleeding, Hit em again! :D

I did notice the look alike Jem in the art...it made me giggle :lol:

I also agree about the jail scene...so touching! I cheered "YAY MOM!" outloud and I cracked up when she was tryign to shove the "car" in between the bars! lol ...or anytime she was eating a "country ball" (whack whack!)....Benjamin: "Im not selling 2 in a sack, Mom." Mom: But feel how heavy they are!...commence 'cupping' :roll2:

oops...forgot spoilers sorry :oops:

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Well, it's at 15% on Rotten Tomatoes. Up two percentage points!

On the Rotten Tomatoes review show, Ellen, one of the hosts liked it. Bret didn't, nor did most of the video reviewers. I took that with a grain of salt because they criticized stuff I thought would be cool.

But the funniest line from one of the critics was "I was wondering 'Why do they have Benicio Del Toro doing an Alan Rickman imitiation!" :D

The whole show is viewable at the Current TV website.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:15 pm

I've spared you this long but here goes nothing. I think this film is terrible. That's not to say that I didn't like it a bit more the 2nd time around and I laughed occasionally. But I think, had Hess not received accolades for Napoleon Dynamite (another film I disliked, attempted to watch it again last night on Comedy Central - I lasted 10 minutes), no sane person would fund this endeavor. As for the puke scene, I have no problem with puke so I was like "um...yeah...and? :roll: " The poop scene was just dumb for dumb's sake. Both times I saw this film no one in theater uttered a sound over the scene of mom getting an arrow in the boob. It was just plain awkward.

I think the mom, Lonny and Tabitha and particularly Dusty where so NOT funny that it kind of ticked me off. I know that's not fair because some people were laughing but after the 20th time of seeing a close up of Lonny's weird mouth am I still supposed to find it funny? I mean, come on, I felt a bit insulted. For realz!

My fave parts were the bad movies made by Donoho studios, mom saving the day and of course, anything with Chevalier. Jemaine being SO good only emphasizes how awful everyone else is. There. I said it. Don't hate me.
90% evil
ImageImage

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:20 pm

I dont hate you...I agree with just about everything...Dont get me started on Lonnie's lips. I did like Napoleon Dynamite...but only after 2-3 viewings at least....

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:29 pm

In saying that everyone else was awful I don't mean to imply that their acting was awful. I think everyone gave it their all. IMHO the problem is in the script. I don't really think what Hess does is original or interesting or funny. I don't think nerd chic is a novel idea.

I'm perplexed by Sam Rockwell's appearance in this film. He's good (I cannot wait to see Moon) and he's good in this film. I just wonder why he stooped so low. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:35 pm

well maybe it is so far from the other kind of crap scripts they get handed, this was something appealing. I wouldnt go so far as to call Hess pretentious, but there is a lot of hit and miss with his humor...Id like to know if Jem actually did get to see the whole movie and what his thoughts are. He said he liked ND cause it was right up his alley. :dunno:

Return to “Jemaine Clement”