Texas Travesty Interview with Jemaine

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Texas Travesty Interview with Jemaine

Postby funny schipperke » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Jemaine Clement has momentum. Although his monotone and distinctly unexcited voice would never lead you to believe that, his four Emmy nominations and Grammy win might. In his latest work, Clement took a break from his Flight of the Conchords partner, Bret Mckenzie, and collaborated with writer/director Jared Hess (Napolean Dynamite), on his latest film, Gentlemen Broncos. Clement sat down with the Travesty on some lovely patio furniture outside an even more lovely hotel to talk about Orc-dwellings and being sexy. And in case you’re wondering, we tried to ask about sexy Orcs—he had no comment.

Texas Travesty: So is this your first time in Austin?

Jemaine Clement: Third time.

TT: Have you performed here before?

JC: Yeah; forFlight of the Conchords and for South by Southwest two years ago. We did a lot of clubs.

TT: What’s the difference between the New Zealand comedy scene and the comedy scene in the US?

JC: The main difference is that there’s one comedy club in the whole country. And it’s not even in the town where I live.

TT: How do you work out material with only one club to perform at?

JC: We do more sort of theatrical stuff. When I started it was more…you know like here when you do standup there might be a few skits floating around but that’s not the main part. In New Zealand it’s like people doing plays as the main thing. There’s a little bit of standup. When I started there was standup once a week. But it was good because we wrote a lot of material because there would be the same people coming in, and so you can’t play the same songs, because they’ve already heard it.

TT: We have a movie series in the US that came out called The Lord of the Rings. Have you heard of it?

JC: Yeah.

TT: For a lot of people, New Zealand is like…

JC: Hobbit land.

TT: Does that get frustrating?

JC: No, not at all. In some ways it’s good.

TT: People know New Zealand because of it.

JC: Well people often confuse it with Australia, which the landscape is really different. If you’ve seen Lord of the Rings vs. Mad Max. Mad Max is what Australia’s like; the sort of post-apocalyptic red desert compared to an Orc dwelling in a mountain. There’s less fiery eyes and stuff like that [laughs].

TT: Did you ever have any ideas for Flight of the Conchords that you liked but never made it in for one reason or another?

JC: Well, the three of us write—me, Bret, and James. Sometimes we’ll boycott each other’s ideas. There were ideas that I hated that we didn’t do. Then there were some ideas that I hated and we did do.

TT: What comedians did you find most influential when you were growing up and learning comedy?

JC: Well, I really liked Billy Connolly. But I don’t feel like I emulate him in any way. I just like him. Do you know the show The Young Ones? [Yes.] It’s from the '80s and was really quite surreal. Have you seen The Mighty Boosh? [Yes.] Conchords was often confused with The Mighty Boosh but I think we were both just heavily influenced by The Young Ones. And The Garry Shandling Show is another one that I grew up with that I really loved. I was never allowed to stay up late. Usually, I had to go to bed at eight. But I would just be like, “I have to watch The Garry Shandling Show!” [laughs]

TT: When you were filming this movie did you pretty much stick to the script, or did you do get a chance to improv some scenes?

JC: We did both. We tried to stick to the script for the first time and then added things. We stuck to the script, but there are little things in there.

TT: You were named one of the 100 sexiest people by Who magazine in Australia. How does it feel to be sexy?

JC: It feels good to be sexy. I really think it’s really cool that I’m one of the 100 sexiest people. What are the pedigrees? Just in the world?

TT: I think so.

JC: It could just be the first 100 people in the phone book.

TT: What are your plans now that Flight of the Conchords is off the air?

JC: I’m writing a film with a friend of mine, and I’m doing a little bit of acting.

TT: In this movie you did some acting?

JC: I did a little bit of acting in this movie. [laughs]

TT: How did you hook up with Jared Hess for this?

JC: He had seen Flight of the Conchords, and I think he specifically liked the comedy in it. He had a kind of voice in mind when he cast for it. He didn’t even pick me up. He didn’t even ask me to do it or anything. I didn’t go to an audition or try out. I would just email him all the time with 30 photos of different bad haircuts that I had found, and just be like, “what about one of these?”

TT: One more question. If you had one meal left to eat before you died, what would be in that meal?

JC: I might go for like a salad with sort of everything in it. A chicken, banana, and ice cream salad. And I would try to outsmart them and just keep adding stuff.

TT: And just never stop eating?

JC: Yes.

source

My favorite is his answer to the last question "A chicken, banana, and ice cream salad. And I would try to outsmart them and just keep adding stuff." and how he could just be one of the sexiest of the first 100 people in the phonebook. :roll2: :heart: :heart:
There's a picture of him at that link, too.
Image Image

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Re: Texas Travesty Interview with Jemaine

Postby Faith » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:49 pm

I wonder which ideas he hated that they did?

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:51 pm

He never fails to crack me up! :lol: Thank you for posting.

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:03 pm

That's a great interview! Thanks for posting it FS! :D

I actually applaud the interviewer for asking " What are your plans now that Flight of the Conchords is off the air...." :clap:
rather than every other interviewer asking "whens the next season??" or "my friends think your hot" :hrmpf:

Ps .. and that pic.... :thud: *swoon*
ImageImageImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks for posting that, fs. :D Gotta love his responses :lol:

Faith wrote:I wonder which ideas he hated that they did?

Same here!
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

onefeathertail
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onefeathertail » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks for posting this! As clever as ever with his responses. :lol:

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:07 pm

bakergirl30 wrote:Ps .. and that pic.... :thud: *swoon*

I'm glad you pointed that out! I would have just read the article and not clicked on the link because I'm lazy! Yup! Good picture of him!

Bananas and ice cream in a salad... :hrm:
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:58 am

Now we know what to prepare if we ever get the chance to cook dinner for him. "Jemaine, would you like another scoop of icecream on your salad? Which flavor this time?"

Edit: Holy cow! Just saw the accompanying photo. Goodness!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:56 am

Great interview....typical Janswers. :lol: Thanks for posting it, fs!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Faith

Postby Faith » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:59 am

Venus wrote:Thanks for posting that, fs. :D Gotta love his responses :lol:

Faith wrote:I wonder which ideas he hated that they did?

Same here!

Maybe he didn't want to be a prostitute...

LikeACurry
Consistently Mediocre

Postby LikeACurry » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:18 am

That's what I was thinking too, although he seemed very comfortable in the clothes :wink:

Thanks for posting the interview fs, its a great photo of him too :heart:
Oh, it was always "Bowie's bumped into a door..."
ImageImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:28 am

LikeACurry wrote:That's what I was thinking too, although he seemed very comfortable in the clothes :wink:

He always seemed more comfortable with his body than Bret did. And he did say that he usually sleeps in the nude.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:43 am

Well, the prostitute song was an idea he wanted to do for a long time, right? So I doubt he was very opposed to being the prostitute in question, but maybe. :hrm:

That picture... YUM. If it *was* just out of the first hundred people in the phone book then that is one sexy phone book, lol. I wonder if this interview was the reason he had to rush off right after Book People? He's wearing the same shirt. And, did he say SXSW was two years ago? I thought it was like five years ago.

Faith

Postby Faith » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:22 am

SXSW was actually three years ago, so he was only a year off.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:28 pm

mockingbird wrote:Well, the prostitute song was an idea he wanted to do for a long time, right? So I doubt he was very opposed to being the prostitute in question, but maybe. :hrm:

That picture... YUM. If it *was* just out of the first hundred people in the phone book then that is one sexy phone book, lol. I wonder if this interview was the reason he had to rush off right after Book People? He's wearing the same shirt. And, did he say SXSW was two years ago? I thought it was like five years ago.

Most likely. And I bet there will be more interviews popping up soon.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Return to “Jemaine Clement”