"What We Do In The Shadows"

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:56 pm

:roll2: Oh my goodness! Very amusing poster.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:55 am

Our very own Becks kindly wrote a review of this film 8) You can find it on the WTF! news page or read it in full over on Jemaine's Bit On The Side (Somehow I think Beck might enjoy being there :lol: )

Or hell, in case someone is too lazy to click a link (there are some apparently I have discovered) I'll paste it here also

Review by Becks - What We Do In The Shadows

I was really excited to see this film. Screened at the City Gallery on Thursday afternoon, it was preceeded by 'Sheep Man', a 'documentary' film about the final days of a sheep enthusiast who lives his last days on a sheep farm in rural New Zealand. Although he is allergic to the sheep he loves so dearly, he believes that they somewhat control the universe and his actions. One scene in which Sheep Man is sneezing uncontrollably, he suddenly stops, believing that it was the power of the sheep that held back that one last sneeze. It was a very entertaining, yet slightly odd film. Also, Flight of the Conchords were credited for doing the music for the movie.

What We Do In The Shadows was next on the schedule. It was another 'documentary' a film which explored the flatting lifestyle of three vampires. Starring Taika Waititi, Jemaine Clement and Jonathan Brugh, the film gives us an insight to the vampires (Vulvis, Viago and Deacon) daily routines, flatting conflicts as well as their late night excursions into Wellington city on Saturday nights. Their 'getting ready' routine for hitting the town was great. Seeing as they don't have reflections, they must rely on eachother to make sure they look good. And although being abused by drunken youths ("homo!" "fag!"), it didn't put the vampires off their task of finding virgins on Courtney Place. Too bad there are no virgins in town to find. It was also really great to see the vampires go into bars and pubs which I usually visit on the weekend. The Big Kumara was my favourite bar visited in the movie.

My favourite part of the film was the flat-meeting. Discussing and completing chores for an eternity must be a b****. Talk arose of dirty, bloody pots and pans left out, and the shower not being cleaned in about a hundred years. Another aspect of the film I really liked was their young vampire friend (sadly, his name escapes me). The central characters of the film are hundreds of years old, their young friend being way off their wisened age. He also 'floats' outside the flat window waiting to be invited in.

As a film altogether, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The concept was fantastic and the characters well drawn. The characters small comments about their appearances, age, flat concerns and their night in town were all hilarious and made the film what it was. What We Do In The Shadows and Sheep Man combined was a fantastic, entertaining way to spend a Thursday afternoon. Hopefully you'll all be able to see it; I really hope I do again, because once was just not enough.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:54 pm

Another aspect of the film I really liked was their young vampire friend (sadly, his name escapes me).

Is it Cori Gonzalez-Macuer, by any chance? (He's the one in the pink pants.)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:18 pm

indigo_jones wrote:
Another aspect of the film I really liked was their young vampire friend (sadly, his name escapes me).

Is it Cori Gonzalez-Macuer, by any chance? (He's the one in the pink pants.)

Hehe Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan looks weird. But weird in a good way :lol:

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks Becks! Well done. :thumb: I wish I could see it. :popcorn:

Pineapple
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Pineapple » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:02 pm

Sherry wrote:...or read it in full over on Jemaine's Bit On The Side (Somehow I think Beck might enjoy being there :lol: )

:rolls:
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:17 am

From a Conchords MySpace blog.

'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:33 am

Ah... A Jemaine reply I am guessing :lol:

Be interesting to see what happens.

Cheers for the info Meli :)

Its only 7.30am and its my day off (well the start of a row of 4) and I am going back to bed :goodnight:

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:35 am

No problemo 8)

Yeah, it will be interesting. I'd love to see the short film :(

Sleep is good :lol:

claire

Postby claire » Mon May 12, 2008 12:52 am

i know independent movies sometimes have a hard time getting released on dvd but does anyone know if a dvd of this exists, i'd love to see it!!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon May 12, 2008 9:28 am

claire wrote:i know independent movies sometimes have a hard time getting released on dvd but does anyone know if a dvd of this exists, i'd love to see it!!

one handed typing sorry :roll:

it's only a short so to speak iirc, 45 mins or so

they plan to do a full length sometime tho

no dvd of this

claire

Postby claire » Mon May 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Sherry wrote:they plan to do a full length sometime tho

that would be great, thanks sherry! :)

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: "What We Do In The Shadows"

Postby Spumony5000 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:35 pm

I really want to see this movie. It looks hilarious. I hope they can start making it soon.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

H....

Re: "What We Do In The Shadows"

Postby H.... » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:11 pm

:pray:
Throw us your potatoes!

Return to “Jemaine Clement”