Sunday Star Times

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
Hot Jam
Half a shapely halibut

Re: Sunday Star Times

Postby Hot Jam » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Hey, thanks for posting this, vmh! You are nice! :D A pleasant, happy surprise on a very crappy Monday!

The pics are great; the article so-so IMO. Don't want to come off as too sensitive or too weirdly fanatic and I def could be wrong but just as a reader of general things (no expert here), I'm infrequently impressed by the quality of writing being presented these days. Yes, everyone has something to say, but things seem to be frequently colored with a large brush of snarkiness and liberal sprinklings of "witty" turns of phrase and what I like to call "I'm-getting-to-the-heart-of-this-matter-and-I'm-always-right" observations (thus this author's "stoner architect/Dr. Seuss " wackadoo assessment. Kind of a presumptious cynical ring to it).

I guess I've always rathered to actually hear/see the interview with a person because then it's not been put through anyone else's filter. As we all know, with the advent of e-mails, blogs and even discussion boards, a lot can be misinterpreted/edited to be interpreted a certain way with the printed word.

Honestly, some of it sounded like the Jemaine I think I've come to know and some of it made him seem kind of like someone else - sharper in a bit of a cutting way and more intentionally oppositional just for opposition's sake. Well, this was likely to happen with more of the media-hound's interest being directed his way and that they in turn would start to want to have more sway in how he's being presented.

Okay. End of rant. Don't mind me. :whistle: Hmm, may need to stay away from new articles... Still safe to look at the very nice pictures though! Very, very nice pictures, indeed! :nod: :heart:

Have a great day/eve/night everyone!
"Where does the instrument begin and the man start?"
"Funny you should say that. That's how I feel when I play it."
- Bret and Jemaine, Omnichord banter, Radio City Music Hall, 4/15/2009

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:05 pm

I do agree that it seemed factually light, and rather dismissive of Jason Stutter and Predicament. I sense that Jemaine isn't an agitator, but he's still not completely comfortable talking about himself, so there could be some defensiveness there.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:12 am

I enjoyed reading this interview and the pics are absolutely adorable! Thanks for posting vmh and thanks so much Great H for buying a copy after the heads up. :hug:

It was quite an insightful interview. I agree that it played down and was quite dismissive of Predicament and I have no idea what that Dr. Seuss description meant but overall, it was a good read. I look forward to what the future holds for Jemaine as he has the opportunity to do so many things now and you know he'll only do what he feels comfortable with and wouldn't tolerate being forced down a particular route. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:23 am

The article was fun to read and interesting. I guess the thing that surprised me the most was that, given how private Jemaine appears to be, he talked quite openly about his relationship with Bret and the tension when they were filming the series. I was especially surprised to see him characterize Bret as being more the musician, and he more the writer. I wonder if Bret would agree with that. :hrm: I found it a bit strange how he seemed in a way to be distancing himself from Bret (or am I reading too much into that?). I wonder how Bret feels about Jemaine's rising star. I guess it's always good to remember that these guys never really expected to be as big as they became over here. And never seem to have really wanted to be that big.

"We learned that Canadians hate puns."
:que:
:wag: I Canuck believe you said that Jemaine!

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:46 am

^ :nod: and :roll2:

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:43 am

Suzy! :lol:
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:57 am

Suzy - I totally agree with your whole post, and your pun was splendidly awful. :lol: Are you sure you're a native Canadian? :P

Hot Jam - I agree with the filter thing too. I like written articles that are like -

MB: I hear you're planning on personally visiting all the members of WTF. How will you work out the logistics of that?
JC: Actually Bret and I have invented a molecular transporter so it shouldn't be any trouble at all.

That way there's less filter, although there's still the pesky issues regarding tone of voice and facial expressions.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:18 am

SuzyBatt wrote:I guess the thing that surprised me the most was that, given how private Jemaine appears to be, he talked quite openly about his relationship with Bret and the tension when they were filming the series. I was especially surprised to see him characterize Bret as being more the musician, and he more the writer. I wonder if Bret would agree with that. :hrm: I found it a bit strange how he seemed in a way to be distancing himself from Bret (or am I reading too much into that?).

We were kind of talking about this over on the Pic of the Day thread too. Their relationship seems very brotherly to me. Sometimes you don't love or hate anyone quite like family. :lol:
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:20 am

mockingbird wrote:Hot Jam - I agree with the filter thing too. I like written articles that are like -

MB: I hear you're planning on personally visiting all the members of WTF. How will you work out the logistics of that?
JC: Actually Bret and I have invented a molecular transporter so it shouldn't be any trouble at all.

That way there's less filter, although there's still the pesky issues regarding tone of voice and facial expressions.

:roll2: Hilarious. I can hear his tone, and imagine his facial expression quite easily. :lol:
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 am

Also I like the part where he describes Jemaine..."...there's still the same sinuous economy of movement, the great comic instrument of a face: a riot of hair, lips and glasses. And that mumbling, slightly awkward monotone is really how he speaks."
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:27 am

nonchalant obsession wrote: I can hear his tone, and imagine his facial expression quite easily. :lol:

See, that's the beauty of this kind of written interview. ;)

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:29 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:sinuous economy of movement

:nod: :drool: Sinuous.

For someone so shy, he always seems very comfortable in his own body. Even when he's awkward, he's graceful.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:37 am

I've always searched for a way to describe Jemaine's demeanor. The author nailed it. Even J's dancing is quite concentrated on...well, I mean to say he carefully chooses which bits to um...thrust about for the most impact. :worry: Same when he plays guitar.
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:41 am

Hee hee! Actually I don't feel there is enough *ahem* impact in his performance. I'd like to see more, personally. Step it up Jemaine. :waiting:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:00 am

We may not survive though. I'm just sayin. If he didn't hold back a bit, or 'practice economy' in his movement...lord help us all. :shock:

*muses a bit over JemElvis, specific scenes from DFS, and several very sinious sugalumps performances*
Image..Image..Image

Return to “Jemaine Clement”