What We Do In The Shadows feature film!

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: What We Do In The Shadows feature film!

Postby Venus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks for the tip, H! Hoping time flies between now and when I get to watch the film on Aug 20th. Still feels so far away!

Congrats to WWDITS on reaching the #1 spot in NZ :clap:

Review: Funny without a shadow of a doubt

Opening speeches at a Q&A session:

Jemaine Clement’s Kiwi vampire film
25th June, in Celebrity

Forty going on 14 – that’s how actor Jemaine Clement feels working in Hollywood. Despite starring in a number of big-budget productions, and counting A-listers Paul Rudd, Tina Fey and Will Smith among his former co-stars, the Kiwi still can’t get to grips with life in the fast lane and admits to feeling “like a kid” in Tinseltown.

“It’s like I’m on work experience on one of those big movies,” he explains with a chuckle. “I’m meant to be a professional, but it’s like I’m still watching and learning.”

The Masterton-born actor, who first found international fame with his renowned TV show Flight of the Conchords, has worked on everything from animated features Rio and Despicable Me to US indie films.

But it’s back at home, working among fellow Kiwi comics, where he feels most comfortable.

What We Do in the Shadows, sees him reunited with Eagle vs Shark director Taika Waititi.

Jemaine’s latest release, What We Do in the Shadows, sees him reunited with Eagle vs Shark director Taika Waititi and a number of Kiwi comedy stars, including Rhys Darby, Cori Gonzalez-Macuer and Johnny Brugh.

The mockumentary-horror-comedy follows four senile vampires living in a Wellington flat and the challenges they face, including dressing without a reflection and getting into pubs.

Based on a short film the pair wrote and directed in 2006, Jemaine says it took six years for cameras to start rolling on a feature-length version.

“We had the cast signed on from day one, and it must have seemed to them like we were never going to get it done. The years would go by and they’d ask, ‘Are we still doing that movie?’ Nearly six years later, we actually got it started.”

Blood brothers: The star reunites with good friend Taika in vampire film What We Do in the Shadows.

The pair fleshed out the script over “a number of years and email chains”. Jemaine puts the time delay down, in part, to a busy schedule abroad and also to his close bond with Taika, who he first worked with in the early 1990s as a duo called The Humourbeasts.

“We have a similar sense of humour,” he explains. “It’s easy for us to hang out and not do anything. We had to be vigilant to keep the workload up.”

What We Do in the Shadows premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January, and was met with positive reviews from critics. It was Jemaine’s first time watching the finished film and he says it was a “big relief” to hear the applause.

“Everyone else – the cast, producers – were in the main part of the theatre, but Taika and I sat at the back, just in case we needed to leave because we couldn’t handle it,” he laughs.

“I thought it was a disaster. It takes an audience to watch it with you to remind you that it’s funny.”

With invites to international film festivals piling up, including one in Transylvania, it seems a high-speed lifestyle is set to continue for Jemaine.

Good thing, he says, he’s got five-year-old son Sophocles to keep him grounded.

“My son still doesn’t believe I was the voice of Nigel [in Rio],” he reveals. “He let me down gently though. He said, ‘No, Dad. Your voice sounds similar, but you’re not Nigel.’ He was very polite about it.”

By Laura Weaser

Source

FB Photo Album of Q&A session at Roxy Cinema

Shadow Dancing in Vellington:

Jemaine & Taika handing out raffle prizes :)

Source

Source

Source
Source

Source

Source

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:35 am

As some of you might have worked out by now from my Facebook timeline, I had another meet up with J & T! :heart:
My friend and I got the last 2 tickets at a regular showing on Friday night and, randomly, it had a Q&A afterwards! I tried to film them, but it was just too dark alas. I did get a '30-minutes of funny' audio recording of questionable quality if anyone's interested. I'll send that to the mods to do something with... (I've no idea!)

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:37 pm

So cool that you happened to be at a screening with a Q&A with Jemaine & Taika, H!! :D

WWDITS stills by Courtney Hopper

More pics from Day 1

More pics from Day 2

More pics from Day 3

Source

Jemaine & Taika in Transylvania for a horror film festival. WWDITS won the audience award. :clap:

This dainty couple were spotted shopping at Zara Kids in Romania. #stripeylove #WasntBuyingShitForAnyKids #ReputationInTatters

Source
:roll2:

Funny interview with Jemaine & Taika :lol:

Limited edition poster by Steve Wilson for the UK premiere of What We Do in the Shadows at Film 4 Summer Screen, Somerset House. :D

Source
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:11 pm

What We Do In The Shadows - Sydney Film Festival Interview:

Jemaine & Taika in London:

TNT:
Source
Somerset House on FB:
Ahead of our Film4 Summer Screen UK premiere of What We Do in the Shadows, directors / stars Taika Waititi, Jemaine Clement got a bit spooked visiting our Deadhouse!

&

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:58 pm

So earlier this week, I attended the UK premiere of What We Do in the Shadows at Somerset House as part of the Film4 Summer Screen series of outdoor screenings. I went with emira and 2 other friends, C & E and it's safe to say we all had an amazing time! We started off first looking for the red carpet as all the premieres tend to have a red carpet complete with the press etc. but after asking several people, we eventually found out there wasn't going to be one. Undeterred, we waited around until "Behind The Screen" which was Jemaine & Taika in conversation in a small screening room before the screening of WWDITS and we knew we still had a lot to look forward to. We even spotted Keisha Castle-Hughes (the main character in Whale Rider) hanging around (who is currently in the UK filming Game of Thrones- we saw her walking to do this interview)! We also had a look at the poster exhibition for all the films taking part in Film4 Summer Screen. Before the talk, we grabbed a complimentary drink and a member of staff who gave me my free drink told me there was going to be a Q&A after the screening so that we should stick around. I was quite surprised there was going to be a Q&A since it was going to be a huge outdoor screening, with over 2000 people so I wondered how they would people would get ask questions and the member of staff said she wasn't sure but they may just shout out their questions (and that's exactly what happened :lol:, a video of it is below). As we waited, for some reason I decided to turn and look behind me and I saw some people entering the screening room and then Jemaine & Taika followed behind them. Jemaine went straight in but Taika decided to have a quick look around at us waiting around and even looked as though he was taking a double take (probably because he spotted some familiar faces! ;) so I smiled at him. :)

So we entered the room for the Behind the Screen talk and emira and I were in the second row so we were very close to all the action. A full audio of the talk can be found here. I was smiling and giggling throughout. It was quite awkward at times but I've learnt to expect awkward interviews with Jemaine & Taika and they're always humorous so I really enjoyed watching them talking about their careers. It started off with a few microphone problems and then someone took a pic which Taika quickly posed for. When the interviewer started to mainly focus on Taika, Jemaine moved his chair into the audience for a little while as if he was a member of the audience. :lol: There were a few things I learnt such Jemaine not being around when Bret & James storylined the first episode of season 2, "A Good Opportunity" because he was filming Gentlemen Broncos and he thought that it was the worst FOTC episode. He also mentioned that him and Bret had discussed creating a musical (not FOTC related) but it hasn't happened yet. Taika seemed to be looking over the audience most of the time whereas Jemaine really looked into the eyes of members of the audience so we made eye contact on several times during the talk.

The talk lasted for about an hour and then afterwards, Jemaine & Taika hung around to greet a few fans. Firstly I went up to Jemaine, shook his hand and asked whether he could sign my poster (I bought the Dead but Delicious poster commissioned for this screening) and he was like "Sure", then the guy who interviewed Jemaine & Taika noticed there were a couple other posters someone else wanted them to sign so he laid them down on a table for both Jemaine & Taika to sign. Then I asked Jemaine if I could take a photo and he said "Yeah, do you want Taika to be in it too?" And I was like "Yeah!" and looked to see Taika was on the other side of the stage walking in the other direction so we decided just to take a photo together. I thanked him and told him that I was really looking forward to watching the film. It was a pretty quick meeting as staff were trying to speed things along so I didn't get to speak to J as long as I would have hoped but I was also quite shy around him so I didn't have much to say. Just as I was going to approach Taika, one member of staff said that there wasn't any time to take a photo with Taika as he had to leave but I wasn't going to leave without saying hi to Taika! ;) So I saw emira was still waiting to speak to Taika so I waited with her. We were the last people to chat to Taika. As soon as he saw us, he had a big smile on his face, said, "Hi, nice to see you!" and gave each of us a big hug. I took a few pics while emira gave Taika a belated birthday gift and he was obviously chuffed to be finally meeting her and vice versa. Emira also took a pic of me with Taika. I also noticed Jemaine slipping behind me to leave the room earlier. Then when we were joined by one of our friends, C, so Taika also gave her a big hug. Then he said something along the lines, "Where was that place down the road where they showed my films?" and I said "Barbican" and he was like, "Yeah, yeah!" That was where the NZ Film Festival took place in London back in 2011 which showcased all of Taika's full length and short films over a couple of days so he remembered the last time C & I met Taika but emira explained she wasn't in the country at the time so he replied, "I know, I know" (aww!). He then thanked us for our support and said that the updates to the fansite were cool. He also asked if we had tickets to the screening because if not, he would sneak us in :heart: (after refusing a couple of people in the audience who didn't have tickets for the screening during the talk :lol:). Then we had to leave the room so Taika said bye to all of us and even blew kisses as he was being led away. :heart:

Then it was time for the film. As ticket holders for the Behind the Screen talk, we had a space reserved in the courtyard for us. Since it was about half an hour until showtime, the courtyard was packed with 2000 people. Tickets had sold out months in advance within the space of a few days. It was a wonderful experience to watch WWDITS under the stars. It was a bit chilly for a summer's evening which Jemaine & Taika noted during their introduction but luckily it was dry. Their introduction can be found below:

I thoroughly enjoyed WWDITS! There was a constant stream of laughter throughout around the courtyard. I noticed there were Kiwis behind us who were really into it and were laughing hard at certain NZ references, like the Victoria Bowling Club. Some of the vampire references may have been lost on me since I don't usually watch vampire movies but I still thought it was a very funny take on vampire life and I can see why it has charmed audiences around the world with all of the glittering reviews coming in so I'm very proud of what Jemaine & Taika have achieved. I look forward to watching it again which may take a while since it's not going to in the UK cinemas until 21st November.

After the film finished, it was the Q&A (or "S&A" as it became known as as people just ended up shouting their questions!) Thanks to emira who took both of the videos & audio.

So as you can tell, it was a magical night! The movie really seemed to go down very well and as always, it was an absolute pleasure to see both Jemaine & Taika again. :D

Some pics I took. Jemaine & Taika seem to like wearing matching attire these days. ;):

@SomersetHouse
Source
Print Club London. Jemaine & Taika at the poster exhibition
Source
Source
@kiwirebecca
Source
&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 am

How wonderful, Venus! :yay:
What a great account of your story. :popcorn:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks Nancy! It was such a fun evening :D
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Jemaine is on the front of Spectrum magazine which comes in the Sydney Morning Herald :)

Another pic:

Interview:

Conchords star Jemaine Clement wings it with vampire comedy What We Do in the Shadows
August 29, 2014 - 11:45PM
Garry Maddox

Traffic rumbles, horns beep, people shout. Jemaine Clement is walking down a New York street in the early evening, trying to make himself heard above the noise.

"That was crazy," he says. The New Zealand comedian and musician is talking over the phone about how the cult television series, Flight of the Conchords – about two dorky, unsuccessful musicians trying to get gigs and meet women in Manhattan – made him and his comic partner Bret McKenzie unlikely sex symbols.

In 2007 and 2008, they made many a list of the world's sexiest people. In one breathless English article, which mentioned women hyperventilating at the mere mention of the band, the pair were described as "the next great archetype in male sexiness". Suddenly, being a hapless but sensitive Kiwi musician who chatted up women with lines such as "you're so beautiful you could be a part-time model"became as hot as Ryan Gosling with his shirt off.

"When we started doing the Conchord stuff, we knew it was nerdy," says Clement, who has ducked into an apartment building foyer to escape the street noise. "We'd often make a joke on stage that when you do folk comedy, you'd get a lot of women interested in you. People would laugh and they'd go, 'Yeah right'.

"Then after a while we couldn't say that any more. It started to become true. People liked that dorkiness."
Business time: Jemaine Clement has had a lot on his plate since <i>Flight of the Conchords</i> made him, albeit briefly, a sex-symbol.

Such thoroughly unsexy songs as Business Time ("Girl, tonight we're gonna make love. You know how I know? Because it's Wednesday. And Wednesday is the night that we usually make love") somehow made them even hotter.

"It was like we were a boy band," says Clement. "We were making fun of not being sexy. Or making fun of even sex not being sexy sometimes."

At 40, Clement has moved on, with a series of movies including Dinner for Schmucks with Steve Carell, Men in Black 3 with Will Smith, Muppets Most Wanted with Ricky Gervais and Tina Fey, and voice roles in Despicable Me, Rio and Rio 2. He has also written songs for the Muppets and Rio 2.

While he and McKenzie still occasionally discuss a Flight of the Conchords movie – "we've talked about doing a musical of some kind involving the cast of the show; it might not be exactly the scenario from the TV show but the same people" – other films have kept that on hold so far.

Clement lives in Wellington with his playwright-actress wife Miranda Manasiadis and their five-year-old son Sophocles. He is in New York filming People, Places,Things, which is about a comic-book artist going through a break-up. Before that, he acted alongside Sam Rockwell in Don Verdean, about travelling conmen in the golden age of televangelism.

But no matter what he does, he will always be associated with the version of himself he played on Flight of the Conchords. Television, unlike film, allows viewers to build a close relationship with a character over repeat viewings.

"I don't really feel famous," he says. "In the middle of the Conchords show, it was pretty crazy. It was like we were so famous in some parts of the world. In America, we'd be famous in one city and then not in another. But now people have forgotten a bit and they'll look at us and go, 'Who's that guy?' People will say, 'I know you, where did you go to school?'"

In fact, Clement went to school in the New Zealand town of Masterton, where he was brought up by his Maori mother. His father, fans might be surprised to hear given a running joke about trans-Tasman tensions in Flight of the Conchords, is Australian.

"I was a quiet kid but I loved comedy," he says. "I loved stuff like Blackadder. Then The Young Ones and stuff like that. I guess I made a few jokes but I remember laughing heartily. I'd laugh a lot. I was always laughing in the back of the class and getting in trouble."

While studying theatre and film at university, Clement started performing comedy in a student review. At an audition, he met Taika Waititi, who has gone on to direct the Oscar-nominated short Two Cars, One Night, Eagle vs Shark (starring Clement), episodes of Flight of the Conchords and the hit Boy.

Before the Conchords, they performed as the comedy duo the Humourbeasts. Says Waititi of Clement: "He ended up getting quite a nice job writing sketch comedy for a TV show so he pulled out of uni and went off and made lots of money".
Their partnership has now produced the mockumentary What We Do in the Shadows, about vampires who share a house in Wellington. Written and directed by and starring Clement and Waititi, it centres on Eastern Bloc bloodsuckers who have emigrated to the suburbs.

Raunchy Vladislav (Clement), aged 862, and dapper Viago (Waititi), a mere 379, argue, as flatmates do, about the cleaning
and washing up. When they venture into the night, they scrap with a band of werewolves – one played by Rhys Darby, who was Murray in Flight of the Conchords – who are so well-mannered they remind themselves "we're werewolves, not swearwolves". But the arrival of a new young vampire means the older undead must learn about modern fashions and
technology.

Unlike vampire franchises Twilight or True Blood, What We Do in the Shadows centres on what the undead do in their mundane downtime: how do they get into a nightclub without being invited? How do they know what they look like if they have no reflection? How do they keep the furniture clean when they bring a victim home to drain their blood?

Clement, who appears to be standing next to a lift that goes "bing" every couple of minutes in that New York foyer, says his interest in vampires dates back to a movie he saw as a child. "It probably wasn't my first movie but [it was] the first one I remember, because it had such an effect on me. It was called Scars of Dracula. I remember waking up and walking bleary-eyed into the sitting room and mum was watching this vampire movie. It had a bat dripping blood onto a skeleton and resurrecting this sad Dracula who'd died in the movie earlier. That to me was so amazing and scary and fascinating. And I guess I've thought about them ever since."

The duo made a short film – also called What We Do in the Shadows – nine years ago. "It was just a funding application to see if we could make a feature," Clement says. "But there was a long pause between trying it out and the final product."
When it was time to make the extended version, they wrote a script but – strangely enough – did not show it to their cast. "A lot of people are doing movies and TV shows where they improvise," Clement says. "They just write the structure – the storylines and how they intersect. They make a very basic document that holds the story together then they let the people improvise the scene.

"But what we did was write all the dialogue and we didn't use it. It was probably quite similar to what we ended up with but we just wanted to know that, if the improvising stuff didn't work, we had the script to go back on."

They shot 150 hours of footage – all improvised – for the 85-minute film. "We didn't use 148½ hours of it," Clement says.
Does that mean they have material for a whole series of sequels? "No, because nothing extra happens. We only had enough story for one movie and some people would say we might not even have that. It was just trying to get the best stuff of what we filmed."

In a very New Zealand way, Clement is a master of understatement; he is reluctant to talk things up or take credit for any success. That attitude fed into Flight of the Conchords, where his character veered between deluded levels of confidence and absolutely none.

"Sometimes I'm extremely confident," he says. "It doesn't bug me at all to get up in front of 20,000 people and do a show. I can't even see how that could make someone nervous. Whereas other situations – say a job interview – would make me extremely nervous."

Waititi says his friend is driven but shy. "Flight of the Conchords was just him magnified a bit. [He's] a bit nerdy. He's very smart so he'll pull you up on stuff. He's one of those guys that's very good at arguing their point and won't stop arguing until you give up and agree with him."

So given that he writes, acts, sings, directs and plays nine instruments – all while being very funny – is Clement ambitious?
"I'm not sure about ambition because he often just doesn't care," says Waititi. "He doesn't care about the fame side of it. He just wants to make good comedy. He enjoys if he can make something and keep his integrity intact. He's said no to a lot of projects and opportunities and jobs because he didn't think it was funny or just couldn't be bothered."

"In New Zealand we really don't care about anything except for rugby. And Jemaine doesn't care about rugby."
The duo were living in share households when they came up with the idea for What We Do in the Shadows. The film draws on their experiences.

"[The share houses] really tested the extremes of living conditions," Clement says. "Sometimes people [were] living under stairs and hearing rats in the walls. They were pretty grim at times but we would have good parties, putting loud music on and stuff like that. I lived in one flat that had 10 people in it so if we wanted a party, we didn't even have to have anyone come around. We had enough people living there to have one instantly."

Waititi remembers a share house where no one did the dishes, so they painted circles on the dinner table, spooned their food into them and wiped it off afterwards.

All that seems a long way from a hit television series that put Clement among the world's sexist people. A few years on, does he think he redefined male sexiness? "I think we redefined it briefly. And now it's back to the normal definition of abs and chiselled chins," he says. "We tried."

What We Do in the Shadows opens September 4.

Source
&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Painted circles on the dinner table, spooned their food into them??? :sick:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:52 pm

Haha, yep that's pretty grim! Boys will be boys ;)

Here are the selfies Jemaine & Taika took with Miss Kihi (during their interview on HakaNation here)

Source

Photos of Jemaine taken by Michael Friberg at Sundance:

Rhys and Taika will be in attendance at Q&A screenings of What We Do in the Shadows this week in Australia this week! Tickets are available here. The film is out in Australian cinemas Sept 4. :)
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Great interview with Jemaine :D

Jemaine Clement: Australians have a great attitude to being made fun of
The Conchord and star of new vampire film, What We Do in the Shadows, on share homes, his Māori heritage and playing a nice guy for the first time ... just not in this movie

Alexander Bisley
theguardian.com, Tuesday 2 September 2014 02.32 BST

Sensitive for sure: Jemaine Clement. Photograph: Kane Skennar

Dressed in a smart black coat, Jemaine Clement arrives at our Wellington interview by bike. He’s an unswerving non-driver: “When I was growing up in the Wairarapa we couldn’t afford a car and then I got to Wellington and didn’t need a car.”

We are talking at Deluxe, the boho cafe where his fellow Conchord Bret McKenzie used to work – between the dilapidated artists’ joint the duo once shared and the “flasher” home where Clement now lives with his wife, Miranda, and son, Sophocles Iraia.

New Zealand television producers refused to fund Flight of the Conchords before it became a sublime smash hit on HBO. “They’d say, ‘Middle New Zealand won’t get it.’ Idiots! I’d go, ‘What are you talking about? I’m from middle New Zealand, and you’re not.’ I always have a working-class chip on my shoulder about those people.”

The mild-mannered Clement still agrees with his past critique. “Not being too clever is a concern in New Zealand TV. It does really annoy me.”

His very funny vampire comedy, What We Do in the Shadows, arrives in Australia having already topped the New Zealand box office. Clement and sometime Conchords director Taika Waititi not only produced and directed the film, but wrote and starred in it too.

It begins with vampires Viago (Waititi) and Vladislav (Clement) upbraiding their flatmate Deacon (Jonny Brugh) for slovenliness around their shared home. Memories of the Conchords’ nearby flat at 41 Hawker Street provided the inspiration. “There was a period there where I was the tidiest person and, if you knew me, that would really speak to you of the level of how bad it was,” Clement says.

It was McKenzie who wanted to move there – he’d scoped out the front yard as a performance space for a new play. “It was famous for being a big party house for local punks,” Clement says. “There were just bottles and pills strewn all over the floor.

“Bret wanted to dig this grave because this play was called Dirt, about a guy who ran a funeral home from his own house. We tried to dig a grave and it just had all this rubbish – the landlord hadn’t got rid of it; he’d just covered it up.”

Living standards in Wellington are still pretty bad, says Clement, discreetly eating a pumpkin and feta sandwich and drinking a berry smoothie. “I came into this cafe when I first arrived from Masterton. And they had cake, and it was like $3.” He pauses. “I thought that meant the whole cake,” he says with a suddenly loud laugh.

Raised modestly by his Māori mother and grandmother, Clement is a direct descendant of the Wairarapa chief Iraia Te Whaiti, who started his own printing press and school when “there were restrictions on Māori people being businesspeople at all”. Following whānau tradition, Clement named his son after him. “Everyone in my family for generations has had at least one Māori name; can’t break it now,” says the actor, whose own middle names Atea and Mahana mean universe and heat.

There was only one mention of his heritage in Conchords, an episode in which New Zealand’s incompetent prime minister came to New York. “I do love talking about race [now] I have a son. As a pale-skinned Māori person, I felt like a spy as a kid.”

Later, Clement dropped out of Victoria University (“over-analysis in some things; not in their own life or their own culture”) and got work on a TV sketch show called Skitz. “I was only 21 when they started it and remember, because I was part-Māori, having to play things like the street kids and glue sniffers. And going, that’s not my experience at all. I’ve never sniffed glue. I find the whole idea of drugs horrible. I would always insist on having a hood because I was so ashamed to be taking down my race like that.”

Cliff Curtis, New Zealand’s other leading Māori actor in Hollywood, says 40-year-old Clement is a genius: “Jemaine’s hilarious, the king of the understated. He just look sideways and for some reason it’s funny.” But Clement himself names Rhys Darby, aka the Conchords’ manager, Murray, who plays a werewolf in Shadows, as the funniest man he has ever worked with – even if he does appear in “too many ads”.

Another inspiration is the Melbourne-based Kiwi satirist John Clarke, who hasn’t flown out of Australia since the 1970s. “John Clarke, like with Woody Allen, I find quite inspiring, because they’ve been doing it so long and they keep coming up with new good stuff.”

Like Clarke, Clement appreciates the Australian sense of humour, recalling the good-natured responses to jibes in the Flight of the Conchords episodes, Drive By and Unnatural Love. “They have such a great attitude to being made fun of.”

Are the Conchords, dormant at the moment, waiting to erupt again? “We talk about a movie every so often,” says Clement. “Sometimes it feels like we lost a lot of impetus over the last couple of years. But Bret, James [Bobin, lead director] and me, we all want to do a musical. It would be good to do something all together … I miss playing Flight of the Conchords gigs.”

HBO have commissioned a new, four-episode comedy show, he reveals. “It was supposed to be this year but then we decided to put What We Do in the Shadows out ourselves.” He is also quietly excited to announce he is playing the lead in People, Places and Things, James Strouse’s new film about a graphic novelist.

He shows me drawings of the character he is sketching daily. “The first time I’ve played a nice guy,” he says, smiling. But Jemaine was awesome, I insist. “He’s OK,” says his alter ego. “A bit socially unaware. Sensitive for sure.”

• What We Do in the Shadows is released in Australia on 4 September

Source

Even though the article is suggesting that HBO has commissioned a new FOTC project, it could be the TV show he's been writing with Taika? Initially, Bret hadn't been mentioned as being involved but you never know. Either way, very exciting news!

Glad to hear he's missing FOTC gigs. Let's hope it won't take long for more live shows :D
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Jemaine's cleared up the confusion about the FOTC rumours. Looks like it might be that TV show he's writing with Taika after all :D

Before this rumour gets out of hand - we are not working on a 4 ep Conchords show for hbo...

Source

I am working on another idea with them though, hence the mix-up.

Source
&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:05 am

Can. Not. Wait!!! :popcorn:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Good to hear things happening again. :D Now if I could just get to see WWDitS!

This quote made me lol:
"In New Zealand we really don't care about anything except for rugby. And Jemaine doesn't care about rugby."
:lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:04 am

Looks like you're a step closer to getting to see WWDITS as the film has now secured U.S. distribution! :yay: Hope it comes to a cinema near you all. :D

Jemaine Clement's Vampire Comedy ‘What We Do In the Shadows’ Gets U.S. Distribution
MOVIES | By Jeff Sneider on September 5, 2014 @ 7:46 am

Toronto 2014: The Orchard is teaming with Unison Films and Funny or Die on the mockumentary

Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi's vampire comedy “What We Do In the Shadows” has secured U.S. distribution months after debuting at the Sundance Film Festival.

Unison Films will handle the U.S. theatrical release while The Orchard has secured U.S. digital, DVD and broadcast distribution rights to the film. The two companies are teaming with Funny or Die, which will leverage its social media and marketing reach leading up to the film's release.

“Flight of the Conchords” star Clement and Oscar nominee Waititi wrote, directed and star in the mockumentary, which follows a trio of New Zealand vampires struggling to adapt to modern society.

“Shadows” introduces us to vampire flatmates Vladislav (862 years old, played by Clement) Viago (379 years old, played by Waititi), Deacon (183 years old) and Petyr (8,000 years old). Stuck in their antiquated ways, they struggle to adjust to 21st century customs, like paying rent, sharing household chores and getting “expressly” invited into nightclubs. Enter 20-something hipster Nick, who Petyr turns to get an inside education on the modern world, including everything from fashion to technology.

“What We Do In the Shadows” was produced by Unison Films and Defender Films, along with Waititi, Chelsea Winstanley and Emanuel Michael. The movie will screen at the Toronto International Film Festival next week.

“We are thrilled that The Orchard found the courage to join our ‘Shadows’ team in presenting this first-of-its-kind, groundbreaking and unflinching look into the undead-lives of four vampire flatmates finding love again, death again, and the enduring strength to tolerate the stench of werewolves,” said Emanuel Michael, CEO of Unison Films.

“We are so excited that we are teaming with The Orchard and Funny Or Die to present one of the most important vampire documentaries of the last three years, possibly four. We want people, not just vampire hunters, to see that vampires have vulnerable hearts,” added Clement.

“Jemaine, Taika and Emanuel have brought something uniquely funny to the table that will have an immortal life on digital,” said Paul Davidson, The Orchard's senior VP of film and TV. “‘What We Do In The Shadows' represents the kind of project The Orchard is excited to champion in the marketplace.”

The deal was negotiated by Craig Sussman of The Orchard with producer Emanuel Michael and CAA.

The Orchard recently acquired “Loitering With Intent,” which stars Marisa Tomei and Sam Rockwell. It also picked up the Sundance-winning documentary “Rich Hill.”

Source

Audio: Jemaine's interview with The Doctor on Triple J
Interview with Jemaine for X-Press Mag

Interview with Jemaine at Sundance:

Jemaine in the LA Times
Source

Jemaine & Taika photographed by Kane Skennar
Source
&