What We Do In The Shadows feature film!

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Jemaine and Taika's Vampire Movie

Postby Venus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:38 pm

:nod: I heard they were working towards a Sundance release so I'm glad they were selected! Can't wait for the pics and clips we'll see in the meantime! Hopefully it won't take long for a wider release. Looks like vmh may have the chance to watch it while at Sundance. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Venus

Re: What We Do In The Shadows feature film!

Postby Venus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:26 pm

2013, 86 minutes, color, New Zealand/United States, Midnight

Consider the living quarters of vampires and stodgy old castles in Transylvania might come to mind. But these aren’t your typical bloodsuckers. Viago (379 years old), Deacon (183 years old), Vladislav (862 years old), and Peter (8,000 years old) have chosen to share a flat in Wellington, New Zealand. Unfortunately for them, it’s hard to make new friends due to their constant thirst for blood. Without any mortal chums left to invite them in to all of the hip establishments around town, they’ve lost touch with the current social scene. Can these creatures of the night put aside their differences as roommates and adapt to modern society?

In What We Do in the Shadows, frequent collaborators Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement share writing, directing, and acting duties—all with precise comedic timing. The end result is a hysterical mockumentary that unearths a secret, supernatural society where friendship and camaraderie are just as important as feasting upon the flesh of mortals.

- O.J.

Cast and Credits
Directors: Taika Waititi, Jemaine Clement
Screenwriters: Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi
Directors: Taika Waititi, Jemaine Clement
Producers: Taika Waititi, Chelsea Winstanley, Emanuel Michael
Principal Cast: Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi, Jonathon Brugh, Cori Gonzalez-Macuer, Stu Rutherford

Schedule at Sundance
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Jemaine on set filming extra scenes earlier this year :)
&

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: Jemaine and Taika's Vampire Movie

Postby vmh » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:48 am

Venus wrote::nod: I heard they were working towards a Sundance release so I'm glad they were selected! Can't wait for the pics and clips we'll see in the meantime! Hopefully it won't take long for a wider release. Looks like vmh may have the chance to watch it while at Sundance. :D

Yes! I'm actually scheduled to work on the night of the premiere but I think I can manage to leave a bit early to make the Egyptian Theatre screening. *fingers crossed*

If anyone has any Q&A type questions they'd like answered, PM me and I'll do my best. :)
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:19 am

Yay! Hope it all works out, vmh. :)

Some info about the directors courtesy of the Sundance website ;)

About the Directors
Hailing from the tropical continent of New Zealand, Oscar-losing director Taika Waititi grew up just like the title character in the original Conan. This will be his third feature to premiere at the Sundance Film Festival. His first was Eagle vs. Shark in 2007, followed by BOY in 2010. He counts among his friends folks such as Stu, Toby, Warner, Ross, Dustin, and Niles. He also invented the sideways “Whatchoo talkin’ ’bout?” look.

Reclusive actor/director/MMA star Jemaine Clement lives in the mountains of New Zealand with his wife and 16 cats. He was once a business mogul in the ruthless door-to-door orange juice–selling trade; however, the whole thing came tumbling down in 2006, and he was tragically reduced to having his own HBO show, performing sell-out concerts with his band, Flight of the Conchords, and acting in giant movies like Men in Black 3.

Source

There's also an IMDB page for the film. Good to see familiar names on the cast list. :)
&

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 pm

About the Directors
Hailing from the tropical continent of New Zealand, Oscar-losing director Taika Waititi grew up just like the title character in the original Conan. This will be his third feature to premiere at the Sundance Film Festival. His first was Eagle vs. Shark in 2007, followed by BOY in 2010. He counts among his friends folks such as Stu, Toby, Warner, Ross, Dustin, and Niles. He also invented the sideways “Whatchoo talkin’ ’bout?” look.

Reclusive actor/director/MMA star Jemaine Clement lives in the mountains of New Zealand with his wife and 16 cats. He was once a business mogul in the ruthless door-to-door orange juice–selling trade; however, the whole thing came tumbling down in 2006, and he was tragically reduced to having his own HBO show, performing sell-out concerts with his band, Flight of the Conchords, and acting in giant movies like Men in Black 3.

:roll2: :rolls: :clap:

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 pm

&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:27 am

:clap: :P :supz: :boogie: :biggrin: :heartbeat: :eyelashes: :cheer: :macarena: :bighug:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:06 am

What Nancy said. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 am

Heh, heh, Laura. :lol:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:17 pm

Sundance was such a blast! This was my third year as a full-time volunteer and I highly recommend it if you've ever considered going. It's like Disneyland for film lovers.

What We Do in the Shadows premiered on January 19 at 11:59 at The Egyptian. The Egyptian is one of the smaller theatres but it's also the most iconic and it's located on Main Street, which is kind of the heart of the festival. It's the perfect venue for a Midnight category film. I tried my best to make it to the first screening. I was working that night but left around 10:00 PM and rushed over to Main Street. Each theatre usually sets asisde a certain # a tickets just for Sundance volunteers. The Egyptian gives out 15 per screening. By the time I made it down there, there were already 15 people in line. :(
So, I tried waitlisting for it. I didn't know it would be as popular as it was and minutes before the movie started, I was told the house was full by another volunteer. Damn.

I tried once more for the third screening at The Prospector. I showed up two hours early and was the 7th volunteer in line. The Prospector hands out 20 volunteer tickets. ::phew:: On my way there, a Sundance patron was raving about What We Do in the Shadows to one of his friends. He said, "It's reminiscent of Monty Python." 8)

One of the Sundance programmers introduced the film as a documentary. I loved it already. Then, Taika and Jemaine took the stage wearing matching, red parkas - because they wanted to be taken seriously as documentarians and needed to look the part. :lol:

The film was hilarious in a silly, absurd way. Each vampire comes from a different time period and has distinct personality traits. After all, What We Do in the Shadows is the true story, of four strangers, picked to live in a house, work together, and have their lives taped, to find out what happens, when vampires stop being polite, and start getting real!

Spoilers!
Rhys Darby plays a member of a rival, supernatural group.

Jemaine might have one of the best lines in the movie. It's something about virgin blood and sandwiches.

I took a few photos. They aren't the best quality. I'm disappointed that my camera focus isn't as crisp as it used to be but here they are anyway. Password: vampire

https://tinyacts.shutterfly.com/pictures/59

I don't remember much from the Q&A but I'm sure there's a video of it on youtube somewhere. I saw Taika hanging out in the lobby after but I didn't stick around because I was tired and looked like crap from waking up at 5 am that day.

A few days later, I saw Taika again. He was crossing the street and looked like he was on his way to catch a bus at Old Town Transit Center. I thought about following him but decided against it and instead tweeted him. I actually got a reply! How exciting!

https://twitter.com/vherberger/status/426828009971011584

I think you guys are really going to enjoy this movieee...errr, I mean, documentary.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:59 am

Like!!! :thumb:

Love those red jackets. :nod:

Taika and Jemaine look great. :eyelashes:

Thanks for the info on volunteering, V. It's good to know. :hrm:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:16 pm

:yay: I'm so glad you were able to make it to a screening vmh and see Jemaine & Taika introduce the film and take part in the Q&A! Love the story behind the red parka jackets :lol: It's so cool to read all the wonderful reviews of the film and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it too! Hopefully it won't be too long until the rest of us get to watch it at our local cinemas. Thanks for sharing those great pics, too! :thumb:
&

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Thanks Vanessa! :supz:

Return to “Jemaine Clement”