"Jemaine Clement" Wikipedia Entry

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!
Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

"Jemaine Clement" Wikipedia Entry

Postby Kate » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:00 pm

Need Wikipedia Help

"Flight of the Conchords" has its own entry and so does "Bret McKenzie". But, there is no such entry for "Jemaine Clement". See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... ction=edit

I have written up some stuff for a page, but because of some still-iffy eyesight, and a poor attention-span (my head and eyes hurt when I'm at the computer for more than 10 minutes at a time...), I cannot master the "how to" of inserting links and documenting what I've written. Too much reading and stuff to learn. I can't do it at the moment.

Does anyone here have experience with making a Wikipedia entry? If so, would you be willing to take what I've written and format it so I can enter it? Or YOU could enter it on your account.

PM me or post here. I could even post what I already have and you could add your own stuff if you want.

Anybody?

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Kate on Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:47 pm

I don't have any Wikipedia experience... I'll be happy to look into it though. I'll PM you my findings.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:49 pm

Me too. I've got no experience. GIve me a little time later. I'm fixing dinner right now.

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:28 pm

:whistle: :waiting: :pray:

I know, I'm.... :lame:

Ellen
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:30 pm

Kate, if you follow the link below it should open up a page that will create an article called “Jemaine Clement” containing a text box for you to copy/paste your article into. Then click “save page” to view what you created or “show preview” to view it before you submit it. Once you click “save page” it appears that they record your IP address and you should be aware that your article may be subject to editing by members of Wikipedia. I'm not sure how long it may take for the article to appear. I’ve never submitted anything to Wikipedia and I’m not a member, so this was all I could come up with. Hope it helps.:)

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Ellen wrote:Kate, if you follow the link below it should open up a page that will create an article called “Jemaine Clement” containing a text box for you to copy/paste your article into. Then click “save page” to view what you created or “show preview” to view it before you submit it. Once you click “save page” it appears that they record your IP address and you should be aware that your article may be subject to editing by members of Wikipedia. I'm not sure how long it may take for the article to appear. I’ve never submitted anything to Wikipedia and I’m not a member, so this was all I could come up with. Hope it helps.:)

Thanks, Ellen...

I know all this, but I am having trouble formatting the damned thing (embedding links, etc.) Yesterday I made an account there, so I could simply post it, only to find it is a byzanntine maze of "wiki language" you have to master first in order to format the article. I just spent a half hour over there "practicing", and all I have to show for it is a headache.

I'll figure it out sooner or later. I have a good article written, with lots of links and documentation. I would just like to have it up while all the "Outback" buzz is about and before they get here for SxSW. Maybe tomorrow.... :?

On edit: It really does prove that cognitive function is nothing without the ability to apply it. It doesn't matter what the hell my IQ is. I'm freaking Forrest Gump, for all intents and purposes, until my ability to apply it comes back. :doh: It's just so frustrating.

Ellen
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:57 pm

Well, if you get in there and just write a simple “stub” you might be able to go back in and edit it a little more easily once the article has been posted. Besides, at least then you would have something to work with later.

For example, looking at the coded text for the Bret McKenzie article, the Wiki-speak appears reasonably straightforward:

Bret McKenzie is a [[New Zealand]]-born singer and actor, probably best known for appearing in the first and third films in [[Peter Jackson|Peter Jackson's]] ''[[The_Lord_of_the_Rings_film_trilogy|Lord of the Rings]]'' trilogy, achieving some internet notoriety as [[Figwit]].

In New Zealand, however, he's better known as a member of the band [[The Black Seeds]], and as one half of the comedy/folk duo [[Flight of the Conchords]]. He has also released the album ''Prototype'' as [http://www.videokid.tv/ Video Kid].

Similarly, I would just cite external links at the bottom in much the same way the FotC article did:

==External links==
* [http://www.conchords.co.nz/ Flight of the Conchords' official site]
* [http://www.whatthefolk.net/ What The Folk! Flight of the Conchords fan site]
* [http://www.gelfmagazine.com/mt/archives/invasion_of_kiwi_comics.html Interview in Gelf Magazine]
* [http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com/whatsnew/commercials.asp Jemaine Clement's Outback Steakhouse television commercials]

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:09 pm

Thanks, Ellen.

I have the article written and "wikied" as per the instructions you just gave, plus a few things I learned. I just went to post it and found Wikipedia is locked because of "server upgrades".

I will post it as soon as it is unlocked, and then... I will have to figure out how to edit in a picture, and do the necessary edits on my own article, if it needs it.

I appreciate you talking me through this.

Anyone have any suggestions as to which photo(s) I should use?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:18 pm

Kate wrote:Thanks, Ellen.

I have the article written and "wikied" as per the instructions you just gave, plus a few things I learned. I just went to post it and found Wikipedia is locked because of "server upgrades".

I will post it as soon as it is unlocked, and then... I will have to figure out how to edit in a picture, and do the necessary edits on my own article, if it needs it.

I'd not worry too much about pics, just find one and chuck it on. Not too large either. I'd go with a headshot. People edit anyways, so it may not get to stay for long.

And yeah, Wiki has been offline for me most of the day, or else I would have helped.

Kate

Postby Kate » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:31 pm

Sherry wrote:
Kate wrote:Thanks, Ellen.

I'd not worry too much about pics, just find one and chuck it on. Not too large either. I'd go with a headshot. People edit anyways, so it may not get to stay for long.

And yeah, Wiki has been offline for me most of the day, or else I would have helped.

We had a huge blizzard here over the last couple of days (14 inches of snow and very high winds), so everything up here was cancelled today, and that left me with extra time on my hands to get into trouble.

Maybe I'll just go with my avatar pic. That's my fave "headshot" of Jemaine.

Am I just a control freak, or does the idea of people "editing" what you've written bother you, too? :hrmpf:

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:33 am

That's why I don't like Wikipedia. If someone thinks what you wrote is wrong, they can erase it. Like once, I saw Flight of the Conchords on it, and the main website about them was listed as that (sorry to say) lame one by the boys in OKC. So I erased it. I wanted it to be more correct by sending interested people to "real sites" like ours and the FoTC site. But of course that was my opinion... If I was a person who frequented that "offficial site" as they call themselves, I would have been mad.

So I say, keep checking it and fixing the content because anyone can put in their opinions, and erase yours.

Personally, I get mad if my daughter ever uses that site for information for school. You really can't rely on any of the info. If I am wrong, please excuse...but this is what I understand to be the truth.

And to Kate: A Very HEARTY Welcome Back! :love:

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:26 am

Just read the Wiki blurb. Good job :)

One thing though. The C sides is not actually a CD. It was a gag when they played their new material for the first time a couple of years back IIRC. "Tracks that have not even been written yet" or something was how the tagline ran for the show.

People could also mention the Perrier Award nomination at Edinbrugh Fringe 2003 (a big deal in the comedy world) and also the appearances there between 2002-2004. And the award for Best Newcomer at the Melbourne Comedy Festival. That could apply to the Conchords or them on their own I guess.

Ummm, I guess its a case of trawling the site archives, cause all that is there somewhere :lol:

Kate

Postby Kate » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:55 pm

Sherry wrote:Just read the Wiki blurb. Good job :)

One thing though. The C sides is not actually a CD. It was a gag when they played their new material for the first time a couple of years back IIRC. "Tracks that have not even been written yet" or something was how the tagline ran for the show.

People could also mention the Perrier Award nomination at Edinbrugh Fringe 2003 (a big deal in the comedy world) and also the appearances there between 2002-2004. And the award for Best Newcomer at the Melbourne Comedy Festival. That could apply to the Conchords or them on their own I guess.

Ummm, I guess its a case of trawling the site archives, cause all that is there somewhere :lol:

Thanks, Sherry. I didn't include the awards he won along with Bret because I saw that as FoTC territoty, and needing to go on their Wiki page. Does anyone else think I need to include these FoTC awards on Jemaine's page? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jemaine_Clement ) If so, let me know and I can write a seperate paragraph to insert about the Perrier Award, the Fringe Festival, and the Bass Ale Awards the guys have won as FoTC.

Also, please note, there is no photo. I have worked diligently as I can for a couple of days now, messing around in the freaking "sandboxes" and for the life of me, cannot upload a simple photo of him. I have one in mind, and I know where it should go, but I just can't make it happen. (Please note: I have had several people explain to me slowly and clearly how to do this and I still can't do it. My mind is just not going that way at the moment.) Here is the Photo I chose:

If anyone here wants to edit it into the page (left side with the text floated around it?) -- feel free! :doh: ---- Got a better one? That would be okay, too!

Return to “Jemaine Clement”