Humans Are Dead A Cappella!

Share a kebab or a cab. Pull your sexy dance moves or sing about your day. Wear your beard scruffy or your chops huge. Bretero or Jemainiac, we're mixing it all up here. Also Your Stuff now incorporated here.
rnbmre
New arrival

Humans Are Dead A Cappella!

Postby rnbmre » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:30 am

Hello! I'm new to the forum and a short-term (about 2 months now) FOTC fan. I just graduated from college, where I sang in an a cappella group.

We recently had a concert a couple weeks ago (my last in the group), where we try to attract new members for the group. We decided to arrange and perform a FOTC song. This is the video of us singing "The Humans Are Dead" (or "Robots" as it is sometimes labeled) using no instruments, just voices!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF-gzlsrFgM

I'm on the left with the hat, and my fellow hardcore FOTC fan, Russell, is on the right. As you can tell from the video, the crowd generally loved it. Hopefully we will have formed new fans of the show/group from our peroformance!

Unfortunately, the video cuts off before the best part, but an end clip can also be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4Te7JI2lw . You can see that we implemented a nice disco light for the "robo-boogie" section :-D

Let me know what you guys think. Hope you enjoy!
Matt

"Enough small boom, let's boom the boom!"

Zarniwoop
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:10 am

I always like good cover version. And although I hate the youtube "sound" - I think this is a really good one :) I like it, maybe because I like acapella songs in general.

mwilcox

Postby mwilcox » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:05 am

Good job but it's too american :P
Here comes michael, on his bi-cy-cle, lookin' as cool as a Fisher 'n' Paykel

http://www.black-magic.co.nz - NZ Film News

rnbmre
New arrival

Postby rnbmre » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:57 pm

mwilcox wrote:Good job but it's too american :P

Haha! Fair enough, fair enough.
Matt

Craig

Postby Craig » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:18 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I always like good cover version. And although I hate the youtube "sound" - I think this is a really good one :) I like it, maybe because I like acapella songs in general.

Um, there is nothing inheriently bad about youtube "sound". The sound quality is predicated on the recording itself.

In this case it's a hand-held camera which has a crappy mic and records in a narrow frequency range.

In other words it's not youtube, it's the recording.

I thought it was pretty cool though, despite the audio problems.

ParanoidAndroid
Half a shapely halibut

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:38 pm

Awww this made me miss singing in a choir!
Matt! Is there any possible way to make an mp3 file of your performance? It would be a nifty version to have!

rnbmre
New arrival

Postby rnbmre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:13 am

ParanoidAndroid wrote:Matt! Is there any possible way to make an mp3 file of your performance? It would be a nifty version to have!

Hey there! Thank you for the compliments thus far. I agree about the audio not being great, but I'm a poor college grad. What can ya do? :-D

Regarding an mp3, I will look into it. I know that another recording was made (and is also complete!) but was recorded using ::shudder:: VHS. I will see if we can't get that ripped onto my computer soon and converted into an mp3 form.

No recording was made using the sound equipment at the performance; however, the group will be performing this song throughout the coming school year. I think there's a good chance that an audio recording of some sort will be made at some point. Shoot, if you live in the southeast, just come hear us sing some time!

I'll tell the new soloists to work on their New Zealand accents, alright Mwilcox? ...or maybe I shouldn't? ;-)

Also, one last thing. I received a PM from a forum user asking us to note on the YouTube page that the original is by FOTC. We will be changing that very soon, as it was simply honest oversight. We definitely would not want to steal the thunder from the brilliant duo of Bret and Jemaine!
Matt

ParanoidAndroid
Half a shapely halibut

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:59 am

rnbmre wrote:Hey there! Thank you for the compliments thus far. I agree about the audio not being great, but I'm a poor college grad. What can ya do? :-D
I know that another recording was made (and is also complete!) but was recorded using ::shudder:: VHS.

Eep VHS. Depending on its range, you might be okay there...might.
Awesome that the group will keep it in the setlist! Its done so wonderfully with so much energy. ahhhh I miss making music with a group!

mwilcox

Postby mwilcox » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:07 am

rnbmre wrote:I'll tell the new soloists to work on their New Zealand accents, alright Mwilcox? ...or maybe I shouldn't? ;-)

Sure, lol
Here comes michael, on his bi-cy-cle, lookin' as cool as a Fisher 'n' Paykel

http://www.black-magic.co.nz - NZ Film News

Alecia

Postby Alecia » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 am

Very Nice cover. I like it ^^

and Grats on getting it onto FotC's Myspace page =) Not sure if you asked Jemaine to toss it up there or if he's been snooping around here without even sayng hi *Cough* *Hint* *Nudge* Jemaine *Cough*
Official Jemainiac...
and damn proud!

"I’m even more ‘what what’ with the bitches." -Jemaine Clement

rnbmre
New arrival

Postby rnbmre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 pm

Alecia wrote:and Grats on getting it onto FotC's Myspace page =) Not sure if you asked Jemaine to toss it up there or if he's been snooping around here without even sayng hi *Cough* *Hint* *Nudge* Jemaine *Cough*

Holy crap! Thank you! So exciting and fun!!!

So I saw this at work this morning where I can't access Myspace, and I about jumped out of my seat. I just got home and had a chance to look. I couldn't believe it... so sweet!

Just to note, we fixed the YouTube vids to give proper credit to FOTC for our cover of their song. As I said, it was simply oversight that we didn't.

Still working on getting the full version up, too. Hey Bret/Jemaine, can you guys put that one up when we get it on YouTube? O:-) And can we do a concert with you guys some time? Haha!
Matt

Alecia

Postby Alecia » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:30 am

ahhh so he is snooping =P

Grats again, it is indeed an excellent cover ;)
Official Jemainiac...

and damn proud!

"I’m even more ‘what what’ with the bitches." -Jemaine Clement

Katie

Postby Katie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:33 am

That's an awesome cover!

Also, congrats on having it on the Conchords' page. I don't check myspace all that often so I didn't see it until Alecia mentioned it. Very cool.

ParanoidAndroid
Half a shapely halibut

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:48 am

Sweet! Now you are on the page for everyone to see!
We should have a party or something...celebratory :lol:
"We'll have puppet shows. Or use them when we're writing scripts"-Bret

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:20 am

I'm finally back on planet earth and have a day off so can catch up with threads.

That's great rnbmre :lol: Loved it. A really good interpretation of the song :) Congrats to all involved.

I'm going to steal Jemaine's idea and post it on the news page later also if you don't mind :) It deserves to be seen 8)

Return to “Fun & Games & Bret & Jemaine”