An old radio show and a question for everyone

Share a kebab or a cab. Pull your sexy dance moves or sing about your day. Wear your beard scruffy or your chops huge. Bretero or Jemainiac, we're mixing it all up here. Also Your Stuff now incorporated here.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: An old radio show and a question for everyone

Postby SheWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:53 pm

I think I only know 2 of your songs Laura. Who sings Wonderful Tonight and Butterfly Kisses?
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm

I did, mock. I hope I did it right, took me a while to figure it out, lol. I logged into your 6songs, though and started my own playlist. Here it is:
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlis ... s/39127028

Oh, and I know that Ozzy did War Pigs first with Sabbath, but I always preferred the live version he did on Speak of the Devil.

Wonderful Tonight is Eric Clapton and Butterfly Kisses is Bob Carlisle, whom I've heard nothing else by. He's a christian singer and I'm not even sure of when I first heard the song...I just know that Jake was quite young and like I said, it just killed me. But I do love it, lol.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:48 am

LauraK wrote:I did, mock. I hope I did it right, took me a while to figure it out, lol. I logged into your 6songs, though and started my own playlist.

Awesome! Yeah I think it would be cool if everyone put their list on there so they're all in the same place. How did you link to your playlist? :hrm: And why have I not been able to do that? :lol:

OK I'm going to make my list now I think. ;)

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:53 am

I finally got to listen to Jemaine's interview. He is very guarded. :lol: I love hearing little tidbits from real life that they put in the HBO show. :heart:

I'll try to work on my song list this weekend. I'm off to listen to Laura's now. :lalala:
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:19 am

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlis ... d/39170235

Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen
This song reminds me of when my heart was broken by a boy. I did nothing but brood and listen to Leonard Cohen for about 3 months, lol. I was insufferable. Anyway this was a good song to listen to while nursing a broken heart and feeling sorry for myself.

Rio - Duran Duran
What can I say, I LOVED Duran Duran, lol. I would be betraying my inner 13 year old if I didn't include some Duran Duran. And deep down inside, I still think this song kind of rocks, lol.

Way You Look Tonight - Billie Holiday
This was our first dance at our wedding. :heart:

Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
I actually don't even really like most of this song, but the middle part always makes me homesick because I have driven the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston many many times, sometimes on the first of December covered with snow. ;)

Nightswimming - REM
Swimming at Walden Pond at night.

Fee - Phish
I love Phish. I have gone on many eventful roadtrips to see them, lol. This was the first Phish song I ever heard.

Track 1 - Mike Gordon and Leo Kottke
I rocked my son to sleep for the first three years of his life to this song. :heart: I know it's kind of a weird song to rock your baby to sleep to. It really relaxed him though, I think it made me bounce in just the right way, lol.

Sorry, that was seven. ;)

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:36 am

Laura I just listened to your playlist. That Butterfly Kisses song made me cry. *sniff*

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:42 am

[quote="nonchalant obsession"]I finally got to listen to Jemaine's interview. He is very guarded. :lol: I love hearing little tidbits from real life that they put in the HBO show. :heart:

I think he's also being "guarded" because his old friend Oscar Kightly (one of the Naked Samoans/Bro Town crew) is trying to crack him up.

Here's my list. http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Mohumbhai+Mania+s+Music/39173564 It changes from minute to minute, but here's some songs that might matter to me. A lot of it is abrasive, and I'm leaving out a lot of things I like such as metal, house music, and doowop/R&B/soul. I tend to like stuff that's idiosyncratic and kind of prickly - either lyrically or musically or both, but a good groove can win me over.

Bonzo Dog Band - Hunting Tigers
It's mine and my husband's official song. Great to sing in the car, and it highlights both of our love of Python and much British humor (humour)?

Tall Dwarfs - Crush
My favorite NZ band (Conchords are a close 2nd, I'm sorry) from their most consistent album. Chris Knox and Alec Bathgate are huge NZ heroes. I remember buying their crazy-looking "Throw a Sickie" EP out of curiosity in the 80s - it has to be the only concept record devoted to a chest cold. Weeville (also a pun) is a concept album about being the "tall poppy" in the garden. When you grow up in a small town, whether it's in the US or NZ, there's an awful lot of common ground.

Ornette Coleman - Lonely Woman
I listen to a lot of jazz. I started really getting into it in the 80s, when I bought a Wynton Marsalis ticket on a whim. Wynton was OK, even pretty good, but once I discovered Ornette, it sent me both forward and backward in my jazz exploration. Lonely Woman is one of his more linear pieces, but it still has that Ornette off-kilter-ness to it.

Santana - Oye Como Va
Even when all we had was country 8 tracks at home, and variety show music was still swingin' middle of the road stuff, I knew about Santana. They had the album cover in the Columbia Record Club ad with the big tiger head on it. And when it played on the car radio, it always took a while for my parents to get around to changing the station...

Michael Yonkers - Kill The Enemy
A brilliant musician I met when I was writing a piece about him when his music was rediscovered after 26 years. He built his own feedback devices and experimented with sound long before he ever heard the Velvet Underground. This is a really biting song about war which, sadly, hasn't dated a bit.

Sylvester - Mighty Real
I loved this song even during my hating disco phase. Sylvester was an amazing guy who brought gospel fire and slick showmanship to dance music and refused to hide his identity as a gay man even though it would have meant more crossover hits. People like him and the punks were big role models for me - they helped me be more myself.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:11 pm

I love how you idea has evolved, mock. :hug: As you can see, I prefer quotes, but I'll also try to think of up to ten songs. :)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Guh, Leonard Cohen is amazing. :prayer:
90% evil
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:47 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:Bonzo Dog Band - Hunting Tigers
It's mine and my husband's official song. Great to sing in the car, and it highlights both of our love of Python and much British humor (humour)?

I love that you love the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band and even more so that Hunting Tigers is your and your husband's official song. :D
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:06 pm

emira wrote:As you can see, I prefer quotes, but I'll also try to think of up to ten songs. :)

Awesome. :thumb:

SW - Leonard Cohen *is* amazing. I'd love to meet him some day.

Re: Hunting Tigers - I could totally picture you guys singing that song in the car while I was listening to it, it's the perfect song for that, lol.

Also I've had Crazy Train stuck in my head all morning, lol. "We're going off the rails on this crazy train..." :rolleyes:

I keep coming back and editing this post. ;) BUT I feel compelled to add that I *know* it's Sweet Baby James, NOT Sweet Baby Jane. Whoever put the song on Grooveshark called it Sweet Baby Jane and when I put up my list I guess I had that in my mind so that's what I wrote. When I saw it again later it was too late to edit it. It bothers me. It annoys me. If some moderator finds it in their heart to edit it for me, I would be very grateful. :lol: :roll:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Loving the lists and hearing songs I never have before. :)

mock- I can see how that Leonard Cohen song would be perfect for heartbreak.

Rio does still rock...:) So does The Reflex and Hungry Like the Wolf.... :P

I love this version of The Way You Look Tonight....I love Squirrel Nut Zippers and they must have been influenced by Billie. :)
I also love that this was your 1st song rather than something slow and traditional. 8) (Any video we could see?) ;)

I've never heard that REM song or the Phish before- but I like them a lot. I need to broaden my musical horizons.

Listening to Track1 I was imagining rocking a baby, lol. That was some fast rocking huh? :lol: And did you have it on repeat? That's a quick song.

MM- I only knew Santana's (though I had no idea what any of the words to that song were, I just usually sing along phonetically, lol...so thanks! :) ) and Sylvester's songs. My Mom and aunts are Huuuuuuuuge Sylvester fans- as well as of disco- and we got her the Sylvester Greatest Hits for XMas last year.
Hunting Tigers made me laugh out loud. Very cool that it's your song. :D
I liked that Tall Dwarfs song! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:05 pm

LauraK wrote:Rio does still rock...:) So does The Reflex and Hungry Like the Wolf.... :P

Ooh I loved that video for Hungry Like the Wolf. :drool: I loved Simon LeBon so much I would have burned my Guess jeans for him if he had asked me to. :lol: ;) I used to have a friend when I was a freshman in high school and she had this AWESOME binder with all these pictures and articles about them in it that she had collected, and sometimes she would lend it to me. She rocked, we were total Durannies together, lol. It's so funny to think about those pre-internet days.

I love this version of The Way You Look Tonight....I love Squirrel Nut Zippers and they must have been influenced by Billie. :)
I also love that this was your 1st song rather than something slow and traditional. 8) (Any video we could see?) ;)

Sadly no. I don't even have any good pictures of it because we got married outside and we didn't have an actual photographer so nobody remembered to change their camera settings when we went inside to cut the cake and stuff, so they're all blurry and dark.

Listening to Track1 I was imagining rocking a baby, lol. That was some fast rocking huh? :lol: And did you have it on repeat? That's a quick song.

I know! :lol: We stumbled upon the power of the song one day when Cole was about 3 months old, he was fussy and nothing was making him happy, so I just turned on the stereo to whatever was in there, thinking maybe it would help and it happened to be this song and he settled right down, lol. :dunno: Actually when I used to rock him down for naps and at night and stuff, I would do it through the first few songs on this CD (it's called Clone) but after a while he developed this Pavlovian response to it and as soon as the music started he'd put his head on my shoulder and conk right out. :lol:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:08 pm

When I think of Rio these days I am reminded more of the South Park Xmas sing off between Santa and Satan than I am of Duran Duran. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:00 am

mockingbird wrote:I keep coming back and editing this post. ;) BUT I feel compelled to add that I *know* it's Sweet Baby James, NOT Sweet Baby Jane. Whoever put the song on Grooveshark called it Sweet Baby Jane and when I put up my list I guess I had that in my mind so that's what I wrote. When I saw it again later it was too late to edit it. It bothers me. It annoys me. If some moderator finds it in their heart to edit it for me, I would be very grateful. :lol: :roll:

Done!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Fun & Games & Bret & Jemaine”