An old radio show and a question for everyone

Share a kebab or a cab. Pull your sexy dance moves or sing about your day. Wear your beard scruffy or your chops huge. Bretero or Jemainiac, we're mixing it all up here. Also Your Stuff now incorporated here.
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: An old radio show and a question for everyone

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:14 am

vmh wrote:
mohumbhai mania wrote:Bonzo Dog Band - Hunting Tigers
It's mine and my husband's official song. Great to sing in the car, and it highlights both of our love of Python and much British humor (humour)?

I love that you love the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band and even more so that Hunting Tigers is your and your husband's official song. :D

Wow! It's so nice to know that the Bonzo Dog Band has fans here. I haven't thought about them much in ages, but boy did I love them. Being a schmaltzy lounge singer, of course I loved the San Francisco takeoff - "the loveliness of Paris..(applause, 'this guy can really sing)", and the Intro and the Outtro. Tubas In the Moonlight, By a Waterfall, and Mr and Mrs Mickey Mouse are a few more of my faves. And of course, Hunting Tigers. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Sorry everyone for not being very original, because my songs will be pretty mainstream and most of the bands or songs you mention are completely new to me. In general, I prefer soundtracks, but here are my songs (and obviously, I didn't include Polish songs that are important to me).

1 The Doors - Riders on the Storm

Jim Morrison was my teenage years idol. Not the best role model, I know. :doomed: When I was watching the film "The Doors" with Val Kilmer and my dad heard the line about killing your father and f* your mother, I had to turn it off.

2 REM - You Are the Everything

Then, at the end of my rebellious teenage years someone showed up and turned my life around 180 degrees. He also played me some older REM albums, like Green. This song is from this album. :heart:

3 Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes

That was also the time when I was listening to Peter Gabriel very hard, and then I discovered Secret World Live. I still love this album and the DVD from this concert will always get me shivers. Tony Levin's bass (or whatever instruments he plays on)... :prayer:

4 U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

I was vacillating between this song, "One" or "Where the Streets Have No Name" but just a couple years ago I was sadly convinced by this song ^^ that whatever I do, I'll never make one certain person to feel what I want him to feel... Anyway, I love U2 and ZOO TV tour is one of the greatest shows I'll never forget.

5 Leonard Cohen - Who by Fire

That was the song I used to start my radio show many years ago. It also represents my love to this genre of music. We've got a lot of good Polish poets who play this music.

6 Sting - Be Still My Beating Heart

Well... the lyrics say everything. And obviously, I love Sting, though I don't agree with him in spiritual matters.

7 The Phoenix Foundation - Hitchcock

With this song I was converted to New Zealand music and a new era in my life has started.

I've realized, it's very hard to choose one song out of so many of your favourite singer's or band's. Almost every song is meaningful. It's like picking 10 best photos of Jemaine. :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Ohhh, how I loved the Doors and Jim Morrison. "No One Here Gets Out Alive" may have been the first biography I ever read, at about age 13 or so, lol.

Hitchcock...that's probably my fave PF song. :) Pretty cool video, too. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9R5FwYFMo

Almost every song is meaningful. It's like picking 10 best photos of Jemaine

You speak true. :D :thumb:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:28 am

LauraK wrote:Ohhh, how I loved the Doors and Jim Morrison. "No One Here Gets Out Alive" may have been the first biography I ever read, at about age 13 or so, lol.

Same, but little older. I think I still have many pages of this book written down in my notebooks, because I borrowed it and, it's hard to believe, but not many people were privileged enough to use a photocopier in those years and this book was really rare.

Hitchcock...that's probably my fave PF song. :) Pretty cool video, too. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9R5FwYFMo

:heart: You've probably seen the video to Pot directed by the same guy who did to Hitchcock? :)

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:19 am

Thanks, Nancy! :thumb:

emira wrote:Sorry everyone for not being very original, because my songs will be pretty mainstream and most of the bands or songs you mention are completely new to me.

It's OK, we're not out to impress each other with our obscure song knowledge. Actually I thought my list was pretty mainstream too. I'd be interested to hear some Polish music you like. I don't think I know a single Polish band.

When I was watching the film "The Doors" with Val Kilmer and my dad heard the line about killing your father and f* your mother, I had to turn it off.

:lol: Mmmmm, Jim Morrison. :tonqe: I was really into the Doors for a while too. How weird that No One Here Gets Out Alive was a rare book in Poland. Have you read his books of poetry?

These pics of Jemaine always kind of reminded me of Jim Morrison. They both have such great lips. :nod:

I also was really into U2 for a while. They were the first concert I ever went to, actually - I saw them on the Unforgettable Fire tour with my mom when I was 13. :thumb:

I've realized, it's very hard to choose one song out of so many of your favourite singer's or band's. Almost every song is meaningful. It's like picking 10 best photos of Jemaine. :D

:whistle: :lol: I like the hard questions, lol. ;)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:31 pm

emira wrote: You've probably seen the video to Pot directed by the same guy who did to Hitchcock?

No! I've only seen Buffalo and Flock of Hearts off Buffalo....and I'd been listening to it almost exclusivley the last few times I've mowed the lawn and love that one as well. :D Thanks! :heart:
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:09 am

Laura I heard "Spirit in the Sky" in the car on the radio today and it reminded me of you. :thumb:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:47 pm

:heartbeat: :hug:

Did it make you smile? When it comes on, I just have to crank it....and I just smile like a loon as I sing and groove along. I love it and it's one of those songs where, if I had one of those obnoxiously loud sound-systems, I'd probably figure the entire neighborhood needed to enjoy it right along with me!
Ya know??
:lol:
ImageImage

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:00 am

This is much harder than I thought it would be. My first list was 25 songs long! I've whittled it down to 10, but I know there are songs I can't think of right now that I would have put on the list over one that's on it now.
Ah well...http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlis ... s/39542990

Oh My God by Kaiser Chiefs
I lived in Cork city for 4 years. The first 2 weeks I lived there were equal parts scary and crazy. It was bad enough trying to get used to a city I had only visited once before, as well as trying to find a job, but I also had to deal with living with alcoholic bullys who would joke about the people they had beaten up and robbed.
In a nutshell, my friend who had moved down before me was staying with a friend of her boyfriends. When that squat got raided by the police(!), they all decided to move in together(!). She originally said she would look for a place for me, her and her bloke. She kept assuring me that even though they were alcoholics with no jobs, they were great guys who were just up for the craíc and always kept the place clean. LIES!! The last straw was a huge fight that she instigated. There wasn't an unbroken plate or cup left in the house. I had just started in my new job and had to work at 8am. After getting no sleep I went in early expecting to tell them I would have to move back home. I broke down and told them what had happened They surprised me by offering to put me up in a hostel and help me find a new place!
A week later I was leaving for work from the new place (I'm still in contact with the people I lived with in this house), put in my earphones to listen to the radio, and the chorus from this song was blasting in my ears. (Whew!)

Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World by Israel kamakawiwo'ole
This song has a really personal connection for me, which I'm now going to share with you all!
A good few of you already know but for those who don't, my dad died of lung cancer in 2002. There was only about 6 weeks between when he found out to when he died. The hospital had called the day before telling us he had taken a bad turn. When we got up there he was sitting up, a bit groggy, wondering why we had all suddenly shown up. I took it that it had been a false alarm and left to do some errands. I didn't go back up again until the next day. My older brother and my mum had been there most of the night but I took no notice of it. My dad was asleep, breathing heavily. I was looking at him and it just hit me like a smack in the face. He wasn't going to wake up again. I tried to casually get up and make like I was going to the toilet, but I wasn't half way across the room before I collapsed. My mum caught me and held me so tight it was painful. I went outside with my brother to get some air. When I came back in the nurses had given us a small radio. Lyric FM was on which usually plays classical music. Then this song started playing. It was just so lovely and calming. When it finished we all agreed how nice it was. He died later that night. We were all there, including some cousins and close family friends. (Again, whew! No more essays!)

Tell Me Baby by Red Hot Chili Peppers
This song I just love! Love, love, love! I just think it's great. Great intro, great chorus, great guitar. It's near perfect in my opinion.

I've Been To A Marvelous Party by The Divine Comedy
I share a last name with the singer from this band so I like to think there's a small chance we're related! This song is like nothing I've ever heard before or since (if there is something else like it please let me know). They don't have it on grooveshark so here's the link for a video on youtube

Back in Black by AC/DC (Live version)
I had never really been into AC/DC music until I heard this song. I'd love to do this in karaoke sometime. Now where could I do it where no one will know me? Maybe somewhere where there's a live music festival... :hrm:

Beautiful Ones by Suede
This is one I've recently re-discovered. I first heard it on a cassette that came free with a magazine. The video for it is really well done too so I urge ye to watch it. Fun fact for those who didn't know already, Ricky Gervais was their manager for a while.

Kung Fu by Ash
Ash are from Northern Ireland. When I lived in Oxford, my friend was obsessed with them and played their album, 1977 all the time. So now, whenever I hear a song from the album I'm instantly transported back there.

Driftwood by Travis
I was obsessed with this song when it was released. I was always requesting it on the radio and even had the lyrics up on the wall. Another great video.

Don't Stop Me Now by Queen
This is probably not my favourite Queen song but it's the song that got me into seeking out Queen tracks and watching their live shows. The song is fantastic though. I always feel kinda electric after! And it's used in Shaun of the Dead!

My Baby Just Cares For Me by Nina Simone
I used to sing this a lot as a kid. I remember trying to imitate the piano bit in the middle.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:57 am

Aww, kipples. :bighug:

In 1981, my Dad also died of lung cancer. I didn't make it in time to be with him when he passed, but it's good you and your family were able to be with your Dad. I'm glad you had such a great song to help you through the tough time.

I'll get a list of tunes together, someday. :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:14 am

Wow, that Marvelous Party song was cool!! It's a mix and now I want to see all the movies it shows, lol! (I copied them so I could put them in my queue, lol!)

Great list of songs and tales.....I'm glad OtR/WaWW came on when it did for you and your family.....I bet your Dad could hear it and it soothed him as well. :hug:
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm

LauraK wrote::heartbeat: :hug:

Did it make you smile? When it comes on, I just have to crank it....and I just smile like a loon as I sing and groove along. I love it and it's one of those songs where, if I had one of those obnoxiously loud sound-systems, I'd probably figure the entire neighborhood needed to enjoy it right along with me!
Ya know??
:lol:

It absolutely made me smile! :D

kipples I haven't had a chance to listen to your playlist yet but I plan to tonight. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Return to “Fun & Games & Bret & Jemaine”