3 & 4 May - Amsterdam (European Tour 2010)

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: 03 MAY AMSTERDAM (European Tour 2010)

Postby vmh » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:09 pm

:rolls:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:
Sherry wrote:The red light district is one small part of an amazing city....

Oh my. Is this what it looks like?

It's more like this only with ladies in the window. :wink:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Lol! :lol:

nonch, that pic you posted- :thud: It's so beautiful!

I have to admit, having never been and only hearing about Amsterdam's looseness with pot and other things....I sort of imagined it being seedy. :worry:
So glad to see that's only a very small part of it. I hope you guys have extra time to sightsee and enjoy Amsterdam a bit. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:41 pm

I was there for a few days many years ago and it wasn't seedy (well there was that one night with mass puke chains in the streets - not by me though :lol: They don't call me Lead Stomach for nothing). I remember it as very old European and very beautiful.
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Sherry wrote:...the Melkweg is pretty centrel so one of you will be able to run off to the loo or a coffee or sustanance from Febo :shock: ...

I had to google "Febo"... Oh my. :lol:

Would you recommend the krokets or the frikandellen? :hrm:

SW, what is a 'puke chain'? Is that like when you see/smell someone yak then you can't help but spew yourself? In the streets?!??!?! You best be sharing that story.

Sherry, do you have any photos of the concerts you attended at The Melkweg? How many people do you think attended those shows? Any idea what their camera policy is?

Also, is it ok to blather on about the city on this thread? Cuz I just picked up a couple of books on Amsterdam and I may want to chat about it.
Image..Image..Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:04 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:I had to google "Febo"... Oh my. :lol:

Would you recommend the krokets or the frikandellen? :hrm:

Couldn't leave it alone huh. Just had to look it up :roll: :lol:

It's a Dutch thing. Put coins in slot of chosen food stuff, open little door, stick hand in, take stuff pretending to be food, eat, feel bleh, go back for some frites with mayo to make things better :purple:

nonchalant obsession wrote:Sherry, do you have any photos of the concerts you attended at The Melkweg? How many people do you think attended those shows? Any idea what their camera policy is?

Nope, never took any. I saw Cypress Hill there once. That was a class gig. Taking a camera to that would have been criminal :lol: Other gigs never bothered either. I really don't do cameras at gigs.

No idea of their policy on cameras these days. You can ask :)

nonchalant obsession wrote:Also, is it ok to blather on about the city on this thread? Cuz I just picked up a couple of books on Amsterdam and I may want to chat about it.
[/quote]

Sure, don't see why not. Its for discussing pre gig stuff. The actual gig convo will be in a new thread methinks :type: Like we did for the 2009 tour.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:18 am

Here in Utrecht, I pass two coffee shops (pot bars) on my way to get groceries every day and the grocery store is just off the red-light street. None of it is seedy at all. Don't worry about those aspects.

I'm hoping they will put chairs in for the shows. I don't relish having to stand the whole time behind a load of tall Dutchies. I'm close to 5'9", too, but here I'm often considered short. When I saw Eddie Izzard at the Heineken auditorium (big place), seating was general admission. You just have to get there a bit early to get a front seat.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

indigo_jones

Re: 04 MAY AMSTERDAM (European Tour 2010)

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:20 am

I finally got my tickets sorted out, so I'll be at this one, too. This one seems particularly popular, as most of the people I know here in NL are going (or trying to go) to this show.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

LauraK
Boom King!

Re: 04 MAY AMSTERDAM (European Tour 2010)

Postby LauraK » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:29 pm

:supz: :thumb:
I hope your friend gets tickets.
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:30 pm

I can't imagine standing for a Conchords show. Hopefully they'll put in chairs. :)
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

OK, if 5'9" is kinda short, I'm really screwed at 5'5". :lol: I guess I better hope for chairs now, too.

I'm so glad you'll be at the Amsterdam shows Indigo! :yay: Maybe we can stop by a coffee shop and chat or something. :wink: I think it's funny that the pot bars are called coffee shops. Do they actually sell coffee? What are the coffee shops called?
Image..Image..Image

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Yeah, they do sell coffee I think, but you generally don't go for the coffee. If you just want coffee, there are any number of regular cafés to go to for a koffie en appeltaart.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:32 am

What's the food like in the Netherlands? I mean aside from frites with mayo (yum) and Febo. :lol:

I found this pic of a Melkweg ticket to our concert online. It's so much prettier than the one my computer printed out. :?

Photo: Marc Veldkamp
Image..Image..Image

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am

Lots of fried food: frikandels, bitterballen, krokets. Basically fried meat. Lekker! Also bread and cheese, and lots of Indonesian and Middle Eastern, with saté and shoarma. Really, though, there are lots of international food options and the Dutch food isn't unusual or "challenging" if you're a picky eater.

I printed out my tickets, too, so no fancy tickets for me, either.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Yup, what Indy said. Dutch food itself itsn't very adventurous. But its filling. They also love pickles and stuff.

There are many very good restuarants catering for every tastebud though. I used to love the little Peruvian restaurant in Amsterdam and Indo and Thai places. Bojo's is a favourite (pronounced Bo-yo). Dutch also do good Chinese. Well some places. Used to be a great place around the corner from where I lived.

I used to love the pancakes, filet American (basically spiced up steak tartar) in a crusty roll with fresh chopped raw onion sprinkled on top. I could eat that by the tubful.

You won't starve that's for sure :lol: You are practically minutes away from a huge range of eating choices (though I do think its better to get away from the main tourist areas to eat meals). Also Boom Chicago is great. Its minutes from the Melkweg and serves great food. And its owned by Americans :lol: It opened the year I first moved there and I went every year to see some shows and have a meal until I left. I'd suggest it as a night out where you can see some good comedy improv, eat good food and spend an enjoyable evening. Check out there site and book in advance to be on the safe side.

http://www.boomchicago.nl/en/

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”