3 & 4 May - Amsterdam (European Tour 2010)

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Re: 03 MAY AMSTERDAM (European Tour 2010)

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Oh! The pancakes (pannenkoeken)! Definitely try those! They're more like crepes than American pancakes, but they're delicious and surprisingly filling! I invariable get the spek en kaas (bacon and cheese) one, but don't forget to drizzle a little of the stroop (syrup, but not as sweet as maple syrup) on the pancake, even if it's a savory one. Trust me! That's always a fun dinner.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:19 pm

Excellent! Everything sounds so delicious, even though the dutch names all look like the "c" doesn't work on your keyboard (so many "k"s) and the "a" letter sticks a bit. :lol: What is breakfast like? I find it varies a great deal from country to country.

Also, how's the local seafood? It's difficult to get anything fresh from the ocean in Iowa. :? I'm hoping it's good, as it is a fave of mine. Lot's of bread, cheese, fried foods eh? I can see I will indulge a bit in Amsterdam. Locals must burn off all those calories with all the bike riding.

Sherry wrote:Also Boom Chicago is great. Its minutes from the Melkweg and serves great food. And its owned by Americans It opened the year I first moved there and I went every year to see some shows and have a meal until I left. I'd suggest it as a night out where you can see some good comedy improv, eat good food and spend an enjoyable evening. Check out there site and book in advance to be on the safe side.

It's a sign. :shock: Thanks for the tip, Sherry. SW, what do you say? :thumb: Let's boom the Boom.

I get emails from the Netherland Ticket Service now, and this came today!

I wonder what the Bacon brother's do exactly? :hrm:

Go Kevin!
Image..Image..Image

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Local seafood? Herring! Raw herring with onions! Lekker! Honestly, I don't get a lot of seafood here anymore, because it tends to be pricey. Tuna shows up a lot on the menus, and Mediterranean restaurants often have some nice squid and shrimp and various other seafood.

Breakfast is pretty simple: Bread, butter and hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles). :wink: :drool:

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:45 pm

The breakfast that our hotel offers is a bit pricey and probably WAY more food than I'm used to in the morning. Are there bakeries all over, or are the cafe's open early?
Image..Image..Image

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:56 pm

I honestly don't know enough about Amsterdam to say. I know a lot of the cafés here in Utrecht don't open until later, but I'm sure you're bound to find some bakeries and I'm sure in Amsterdam, since there's a bigger tourist influx, you'll probably find more places open earlier. You'll probably also see food vendors with all sorts of food items around. There's always AH (Albert Heijn), once of the grocery store chains. They even have AH-To-Go stores that offer some premade stuff. I doubt you'll go hungry.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Cool. Are you staying in Amsterdam, Indi or just coming in for the shows?

I like how everything I read about Amsterdam says, "Watch out for bikes." I guess that's our biggest danger as a tourist. :lol:
Image..Image..Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:59 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:The breakfast that our hotel offers is a bit pricey and probably WAY more food than I'm used to in the morning. Are there bakeries all over, or are the cafe's open early?

I doubt much will open before 10am in the city centre. At least food wise. The odd take out bakery perhaps but most of them don't open till 10 and then stay open till 6pm. The cafes tend to open around the same time also. Very few places are open at 9am or anything. Actually its the same all over really. Cafe in Amsterdam is not like a cafe in the UK. In the UK you think of a place that is probably open earlier, serves breakfast and so on before then serving lunches. Cafe in the Netherlands is something else. Open around 10am, many close around 11pm, midnight or later on weekends. Some are daytime only ones.

I am surprised your hotel breakfast costs so much.

I suggest just getting a small load of bread, some butter and some hagelslag or flok and stashing that in your room to sustain you till eating places are open :lol: I adore both flok and hagelslag :drool:

When I used to go to work I'd cycle through the centre anytime between 8-10am and most shops open at 10 and close at 6pm. Even the main shopping streets its the same. Very few open earlier. I used to grab a coffee and a muffin from Gary's Bagels on the Prinsengracht (he is a NY'er and makes his own food so top notch bagels and true American muffins).

There are a few eating places that serve breakfast (and beer) and you could find one I am sure.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:05 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:I like how everything I read about Amsterdam says, "Watch out for bikes." I guess that's our biggest danger as a tourist. :lol:

It is. Well, that and trams.

A few rules to stick to no matter what

Never walk in a bike lane. You run the risk of being yelled at or worse, mown down.

When getting off a tram, don't even begin to think of attempting to cross the tracks until it has pulled away and you can see both ways clearly. I say this as trams, taxis, buses and bikes also use the tram lanes. I've seen people get clipped by a tram and even that isn't pretty. And taxis and bikes tear along behind the trams or nip across to save time and its left to the pedestrian to be on the alert for them coming along.

Don't try to beat the traffic. Its always worth waiting for the lights to change.

Remember many streets, especially along the canals are one way. But bikes go both ways along them. They will not be kind to you if you are wandering in the road part and not the sidewalk section (easy to spot as bollards usually divide).

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:44 am

When I was in Amsterdam yonks ago I couldn't figure out where to walk. It seemed no matter where I positioned myself I was in a tram's way or a bike's way. I saw a bad bike accident with a car and a bad bike on bike collision.

Good to know that the cafes don't usually open for breakfast. That's the most important meal for me so I'm thinking room service or buying goodies somewhere and stashing them in the little fridge in the room. A friend and I lasted an entire week in a horrific Dublin hostel by buying 2 huge loaves of soda bread & spreadable cheese and keeping it in the communal fridge. Saved lots of money that way and bread is very filling you know. :yawinkle:

I'll have to keep an eye out for Gary the New Yorker. :yawinkle:
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:03 am

indigo_jones wrote:Local seafood? Herring! Raw herring with onions!

Frommers says visitors simply must..."Pop a Herring: Amsterdam folk like their herring fresh and raw from a neighborhood fish stall. Eat your fish in the approved Dutch manner -- whole, holding the fish by its tail, with your face to that wide Holland sky. Amsterdammers prefer theirs chopped, with onion."

Raw?!?!...hold it by the tail?!?!?! :que: Are they tiny like sardines? Erm, I was thinking more maybe along the lines of shellfish (cooked please) or a nice (cooked) sea bass? OK, I can't stand it...I'm googling this whole raw herring thing...
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:07 am

Yeah, OK, no. Um no. :lol: That thing is huge.

The sandwich looks much better.

Hagelslag! Now this I can get behind. :tonqe:

Sherry wrote:I adore both flok and hagelslag

I'm going to start using the phrase "flok & hagelslag" in my everyday speech.

"My boss was a flokin' hagelslag all day." :nod: What is flok? (google came up with nothin' :lol: )
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:20 am

Sherry wrote:
nonchalant obsession wrote:I like how everything I read about Amsterdam says, "Watch out for bikes." I guess that's our biggest danger as a tourist. :lol:

It is. Well, that and trams.

A few rules to stick to no matter what

Never walk in a bike lane. You run the risk of being yelled at or worse, mown down.

When getting off a tram, don't even begin to think of attempting to cross the tracks until it has pulled away and you can see both ways clearly. I say this as trams, taxis, buses and bikes also use the tram lanes. I've seen people get clipped by a tram and even that isn't pretty. And taxis and bikes tear along behind the trams or nip across to save time and its left to the pedestrian to be on the alert for them coming along.

SheWolf wrote:When I was in Amsterdam yonks ago I couldn't figure out where to walk. It seemed no matter where I positioned myself I was in a tram's way or a bike's way. I saw a bad bike accident with a car and a bad bike on bike collision.

So, I take it that these folks aren't out for a leisurely bike ride touring the city. This is serious everyday transportation for the locals? Thanks for the info/warning/potentially life saving advice. :lol: I had heard that the hotels have bike rentals, I love to ride and Amsterdam sounds delightfully flat, but yikes! I'm thinking, no.

In Rome it was so strange to me that pedestrians ruled the streets. We would be (politely) standing along the side of the road waiting for the light to change...forever...and the locals would just step out in front of the oncoming traffic... :shock: ...and the cars would just stop. Huh? After a few days we started waiting for someone else to do it, then following them closely because it seemed to be all about attitude. If you looked apologetic, you got honked/cursed at/nearly ran over. If you acted like they didn't exist they simply stopped and waited. Later, we were talking to an American living there in Rome, who explained that in Italy, "Nice equals weak." :lol: Who knew? :dunno:

One of my favorite things about travel is noticing the many cultural differences. How about the Netherlands? Got any behavior tips or local customs that we should be aware of?
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:07 pm

My new goal: Learn the Dutch word of the day...

Dutch Word of the Day

I love the photo they've included with the word for March 17th "bed". Yes, I think Amsterdam and I are going to get along just fine. :purple:

Slurf. :geek: Not quite sure how to work that one into a conversation, but I'm really digging the fact that I can listen to the dude pronounce the words for me.
Image..Image..Image

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:20 pm

For those of you visiting for the first time, you may want to check The Travel Channel's program Julian and Camilla's World Oddyssey, which has an episode about Amsterdam. I'm watching it now. Maybe if you check online, you can find it, since our version of The Travel Channel is a bit different. I'm in the middle of watching and they've just gone to a FEBO. ;) They also went to the restaurant that raises awareness of what it's like to be blind. You eat in the pitch dark. I haven't been, but I know of another expat who went. Something to consider if you're feeling adventurous!

ETA: For what it's worth, they're a NZ couple doing the travels. The husband sounds like Rhys. Right now they've just gone to Rotterdam and did a rapel down the tallest building in the city. A friend of mine did a bungee jump from the same building. Now they're back in Amsterdam.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Look what I bought. :)

90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”