Dublin - May 5 2010 - Tour stop #3

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Dublin - May 5 2010 - Tour stop #3

Postby LauraK » Sat May 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Nice review. :) Thanks, Venus.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed May 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Heineken Music:
Flight Of The Conchords
Olympia, Dublin, May 5

The Flight of the Conchords were almost 'The Grounded of the Conchords' as Iceland's favourite global contribution in the form of a cloud of volcanic dust, threatened yet another gig. Conchords cohorts Bret and Jermaine were gigging in Amsterdam the night before and had to travel by bus when Irish airspace was closed. As with other gigs before there was much speculation as to whether New Zealand's fourth most popular folk comedy duo would make it to the show at all.

Warming up the crowd was home grown hero David O'Doherty, a grown man, who in his own words "plays children's small plastic keyboards". O'Doherty is hilariously self-deprecating; stating his job is not a ‘real job’ and having people look at him as 'some sort of travelling paedophile'. The 'O'Doh-party' really got started however, when he noticed he had a split in his trousers and sat facing the crowd slowly spreading his legs while singing and playing the Beatles 'Here Comes the Sun'. He had the audience doubled over in tears of laughter and was the perfect way to warm up the Olympia audience.

Rearing to go, the audience took their seats after a short interval and the screams were deafening as the curtain rose to reveal the Conchords. They looked a little tired from their journey but it didn't stop them in the least. Hysterical in their awkwardness, the duo explained how the show would work; "talk song talk, talk talk song or even song song talk". Bret and Jemaine went on to introduce the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra to the stage to accompany them for the night; Nigel, a lone cellist, or as we were told the smallest symphony orchestra in the world.

The crowd were enthralled with tunes from the Flight of the Conchords' hit HBO series including 'Business Time', 'Jenny', 'Ladies of the World' and a new track about a medieval Jemaine, who tries to woo a lady in 1353. The gloves (and clothes) came off though, to reveal some 80's glam rock leotards for 'Demon Woman', which fantastically took the duo two seconds to rip off their old clothes but about five awkward minutes to put them back on again. The laughter continued through one of the highlights of the night the Conchords' French song about not really knowing how to speak French 'Foux de Fa Fa'. Genius.

There was plenty of heckling on the night but the guys handled it well, with Bret even remarking "Listen you guys have your own show now, and if I’m being honest it's not going that well", amid shouts to ask them to "show us your tits" Jemaine replied "well between us none of us has a tit to show you". Although there was some constructive heckling when someone shouted "play some Prince", Jemaine responded by launching into 'Kiss' and 'Alphabet Street' which everyone seemed to enjoy immensely.

David O'Doherty joined Bret, Jemaine and Nigel on stage for the encore; 'Bowie' a song devoted to asking David Bowie why he's in space and if there is 'Life on Mars'. O’Doherty played another small child's toy, a miniature drum kit. The crowd erupted in huge applause and it's safe to say many a side was split and many cheeks were aching. The Conchords came, played and conquered.

REVIEW BY SEAN EARLEY

PHOTOGRAPH BY SARAH MACKEY

12/05/2010

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

M-DOG
Giving the paper to the people

Postby M-DOG » Sat May 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Hey...

Just a little fan art I made for Mr. Clement in honour of the Dublin show.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt12 ... epants.jpg

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :0)

<3
I love Humanity...oh the humanity!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 pm

You made that?? I saw someone had posted it elsewhere and I just loved it! Excellent job!! :clap:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat May 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Good one, M-DOG! :clap:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun May 16, 2010 12:53 am

Brilliant!

M-DOG

Postby M-DOG » Sun May 16, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks guys! Is there a forum better suited for me to upload my photoshoppy shenanigans? I tried looking for fan art but fell flat. So i figured since I am sending them to the guys for each city...it kind of applies to this forum?

If not...ooopsies.

<3

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Sun May 16, 2010 3:34 am

Hi M-Dog, I suggest you start up a new thread in the forum 'Your Stuff'.
Really great photoshopping skills, by the way! :thumb:

M-DOG

Postby M-DOG » Sun May 16, 2010 4:09 am

Thanks SuzyBatt! I will do that.

smooches

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Sun May 30, 2010 12:35 am

credit: brianmca
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”