Los Angeles - May 30 - Tour stop #21

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
kellysouthpaw

Re: Los Angeles - May 30 - Tour stop #21

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 31, 2010 8:47 am

Hey all - quickly checking in while I print my boarding passes. No meet and greet. We knew right where to queue up, but we were told "The boys have already left" after about 30 minutes of waiting. Then they started forcing us to leave. Then we saw them moving around outside, getting into vans. So we just lined up where the buses would be pulling away. The first van left and the woman told us that was the one they were in. But we saw them get in the other van. So we waited. By the time their van came up there was really only the WTFers and the Flighties left. As the van drove by, it stopped for a split second. Jemaine opened the door, said, "We really have to leave, sorry!" and smiled, waved. We waved, said, "Ok! Thanks! Bye guys!" and that's it. They were gone.

:cry:

But the gig was GREAT! It was soooo epic to have that many people there. Really exhilarating. I'm back at the hotel now cause I'm dead tired and I've got flights all tomorrow and a long day Tuesday, but the rest of the girls are out, I believe. Having a blast, I'm sure :D

Just wanted to add that security was REALLY lax on pictures AND video! I got some GREAT footage and I know mock and SW did as well. I can't WAIT to share it with you guys ;) Ryche got some AWESOME photos, as did Sully, I'm sure. We were snapping/video-ing away ;).

It's starting to set in that it's all over and that I've got an exam on Tuesday (tomorrow). I didn't meet the guys. And I'm thirsty. Ugh. I'm gonna go get a bottled water and at least relieve one of these problems :lol:

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Mon May 31, 2010 10:07 am

Glad to hear that the show was awesome :cheer:

And very sad to hear that you didn't get to meet the guys :( Still, I think it was very nice of Jem to at least acknowledge your presence and beg pardon for having to leave :nod:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon May 31, 2010 10:52 am

Of all the shows, this was by far the best! Amazing, amazing night! Get prepared you guys. We have so many videos and photos. I think Nonch has 1000+ alone.

That's me sitting behind Kelly in that picture.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon May 31, 2010 11:29 am

:yay: Yay, I can't wait to see all the photos and videos of this show and read more about it! I didn't expect the show to be anything short of amazing! :D

Sorry there was no meet and greet but I agree with biscuit, at least Jemaine was kind enough to tell you guys that they couldn't stay.

Safe journey back home, ladies!
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Mon May 31, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm so excited about all the new pics and videos. :yay: Kinda bummed there was no M&G, but at least it was an awesome show. :D

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon May 31, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm in between singing gigs and had to see how it all went - sounds like it was epic!

Sorry for no M&G, but with it being the last gig, so many factors could have prevented them from hanging out with you all. Nice of Jemaine to acknowledge you all and apologize for not stopping.

Can't wait to see the vids and photos! :cheer:

Wait - does this mean we still don't know if it's corn or call?? :cry:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:16 pm

Yeah, they really didn't seem to care about cameras. One guy was walking around with a pro camera and a case full of lenses. So naturally, I'm the one that got yelled at 2 minutes in for videoing... :roll: which I wasn't. It was the focus assist which comes on occasionally when the lights aren't bright enough. After an explanation followed by a demonstration, I was left alone the rest of the night. Besides, my camera doesn't have a light to signal when you're recording something. ;)

I also must amend my statement that PH was my best show. This one was. By FAR! I knew when I passed a guy wear Bret's woven pants (apparently recreated with sharpie) and another guy wearing the 1980s tracksuit our guys so brilliantly wore for a photo shoot (not to mention another in an epic robot suit) that I was finally among my kind of people. :lol:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 31, 2010 4:25 pm

Ohhhhhhh....I am so bummed that there was no meet and greet for the most avid and devoted of all their fans- the WTFers and the Flighties. :(
And I echo what you guys said about Jemaine...he's just such a classy man. To acknowledge you all and apologize for not being able to stay was very sweet and he didn't have to do that.
I'm still very sorry.

But the fact that this last gig of the Euro tour was the BEST?! :supz: :clap:

I'll be waiting patiently to hear and see all about it. You guys rest up and relax and sight-see if you can and enjoy the rest of your time together. :hug:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon May 31, 2010 5:20 pm

Enjoy my old stomping grounds. :supz:

Why don't you go to a movie premiere?? A red carpet event? :D

Or...whatever... :rolleyes: :drinkers: :partyman: :roll2:

Well, have fun. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

skipsabn
New arrival

Postby skipsabn » Mon May 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Hey fellow WTF'rs. Sorry I haven't been poking around too much. Back again for another show roundup. Another Memorial Day Weekend with FOTC (I think that's 3 straight for us here in Los Angeles)! The wife and I wore the matching "Who Likes To Rock The Party" Shirts.

Usually they miss a song or two that I love, but this was a strong set. Not necessarily in order:

Robots (with Jemaine's stellar "Ahhhnold" impersonation!)
Most Beautiful Girl
Hurt Feelings
Albi
If You're into it (with Jemaine on "Rockenspiel")
1353 (woo a girl?)
another new song
Jenny
Oh Dance Baby Yeah! (classic!)
Business Time
I'm Not Crying
Epileptic Dogs (extendo version!- "send in your riches, for those bitches with twitches"!) with audience participation
Inner City Pressure (a live first for all the shows I've seen them here!)
Think About It
BOOM! (YES! The DG-20 comes through)
New song about the road. (How did the goldfish get... never mind)
Bowie
Demon Woman
(encore)
Too Many Dicks
Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenoceros
Sexy Lady/ Sugalumps (with another "Dave" appearance by Arj!)

Strong set in my book. The guys seemed a little nervous at first then got into it. Jemaine was classic. He was bit taken back by the size of the crowd and tried to explain how they could only see the first few sections and the people in the back sounded like marauders! Bret chimed right in with "or they are watching another show on the other side fo the hill. A better show..."

Here's a shot of the crowd I took from the side before the guys started: http://twitpic.com/1sn51u

All in all great night! Great poster! Great Shirt! and it's over...
Last edited by skipsabn on Mon May 31, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon May 31, 2010 6:19 pm

Everyone agrees that the crowd at the Hollywood Bowl was electric! The guys were in top form, and the fact that Kristen, Eugene, and our Arj was there made it even better. :supz:

Last night I was feeling like this is it, they are not touring again, however, then when I got up this morning I thought, no, that is not right. These guys felt the love from a packed Hollywood Bowl crowd and outdid themselves both musically and energy with all the extras, lets just say that they loved it as much as we did. oh and I must mention that "Sugar Lumps" was 12:32 mins and it was epic!!! video will follow!!

If it was to be the last, I believe the entire group would have come out for a bow, the way Monty Python did there for their last perfomance. (they waited 10 years to regroup). Nope didn't happen so...here's to next time!!

Yis I am holding on to the faith that they will return!

A special note: Thank you, 4Ever, Er, SC, and Nonch for the wonderful breakfast conversation (2am) at Mel's diner. Just when we could relax and actually talk, we had to part ways. Until next time that is!!

there is so much to talk about with meeting all the girls, every single one of us is special in our own way, and I do not want to leave anyone out by mentioning only a few people, I truly enjoyed all the girls.

I will post when I get home tonight, and just for a teaser: (I did have a special encounter! hint: I was one way and am now definitely a bi-chordian!)

Kelly is at the airport waiting for her flight home, and 54, VMH and I are heading to the beach!

I hope the pins made a nice keepsake for you all that attended. If anyone was missed please let me know!
:shock:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

54buddha
New arrival

Postby 54buddha » Mon May 31, 2010 6:28 pm

WOW!! What a fabulous concert last night at the Hollywood Bowl! It was packed and everybody in the audience was so enthusiastic. You could tell that the guys were feeling the vibe because they were really getting into their music, which in turn pumped up the crowd even more. Like the rest, I'm sad there was no meet & greet. I was glad, however, that I had this opportunity to meet so many WTFers.

So sad that this was the final show of the Conchords 2010 Tour. Can't wait to see what they've got planned for the future.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Ah but it's still early (ish) in 2010...I still have- if not high- medium hopes of another tour, perhaps in the fall. And if not, I just know they'll be back! :)

Thanks for the setlist and info, skip! :supz: More info is alwasy appreciated. ;) The t-shirts you and your wife wore sound excellent. Any pics?

Rache, buddha, and everyone- i look forward to more! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Mon May 31, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm back home in Austin after an amazing weekend! :D It was so great to get to meet so many other WTF'ers and, as was already mentioned, the show last night was AWESOME! :supz: The guys were really on fire and the crowd was great... so much energy... much better than the lame crowd in Vegas.

Special thanks to Nonch for upgrading my seat! :hug: :iloveyou:

It was disappointing that we didn't get an m&g in Vegas or LA, but it was still a really great time.
And yes, how sweet is Jemaine opening the van door and apologizing that they had to go.
In that moment I had a flashback to standing outside of BookPeople during Fantastic Fest... the car slowly driving out as we all stood there waving. Seeing Jem's silhouette thru the window and seeing him waving back... then the door starts to open :shock: omg, he's going to get out, just like at BookPeople :D But then, of course, he didn't :(
Anyway, I'm exhausted and in need of a long nap. I did take some photos, mostly at the Vegas show, and will post a link when I upload them.
Image Image

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Mon May 31, 2010 9:14 pm

I just got home to Austin and I'm exhausted. What a weekend! I've slept 10 of the past 72 hours so this will be short. More to follow.

A few highlights of the evening for me were hearing/seeing Boom and the booty shaking that went with it live for the first time. The chello and harmonies on I'm Not Crying were glorious. Jem blew me away with his dance moves during Epileptic Dogs Remix. The man can move! The new song You Dont Love Me Anymore is so wonderful. It's probably in my top 5 favorite fotc songs and I've only heard it twice now.

And finally (for now) I always feel kind of bad for James Bobin when he's Jemaine's date to award shows and events because he's always off in a corner being ignored while Jem's being interviewed and photographed. So I promised myself that if I ever saw him I'd make a point to show him some love. So I saw him several times last night and eventually after a couple of glasses of wine and encouragement from Nonch, I went total fangirl on James. He was so sweet and seemed genuinely surprised and flattered that I recognized him and was a fan of his. We took a cute picture together. He put his arm around me and gave me a little sqeeze. He wanted to make sure the pic turned out good so Nonch showed it to him and he was pleased. He even set down his beer so it wouldn't be in the photo. It was an honor to meet him. What a sweetie!

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”