Page 2 of 3

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:55 am
by indigo_jones
mockingbird, I feel you on the bar chord frustration. I've noticed over the years that Bret does seem to use bar chords a lot and it always makes me sigh in resignation. Kudos to The Fool for providing bar alternatives, as well as ukulele bits! Yay!

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:23 pm
by mockingbird
Yeah, thanks Fool! I missed this until now. I can handle a FEW bar chords - it's just when the whole song is barred my hand cramps up into a claw about halfway through. :roll:

Kelly - it's weird, isn't it?? I don't know what's happening. If I play it without the bass run, it sounds fine, but I feel like I'm cheating, and of course it's missing something. It seems so straighforward, I can't figure out what's going on. Maybe if I tried to actually play it along with Bret (on the DVD) it would make more sense.

(Like how I clarified, "on the DVD", there? As though people would think I'm actually jamming with the real Bret in my living room, or something. :roll: :lol: I'm such a dork.)

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:49 pm
by TheFool
mockingbird wrote: I don't know what's happening. If I play it without the bass run, it sounds fine, but I feel like I'm cheating, and of course it's missing something.


Now, I don't know exactly where your running into trouble on this, but for most people I've run into it's the last note in the run, which is hit on an up-strum instead of a down strum. I've found practicing hitting the bassiest string with an up-strum alone, and eventually just doing the last two notes of the bass bit on a C chord ad nauseum(or finger picking it with a thumb on the bass and the rest doing the chord hits, for a semi-cheating way) will eventually get one to play this song well. Either that or it's my nightly jam/hug sessions with Bret. Hard to tell.

P.S. doing it dif'rntly, whether it be without any bass fun or with a synth or speedy banjo, is just as useful and awesome.

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:19 am
by Cuse
Nice. Didn't know this existed. I'll pick one up. My guitar school does a thing where if you can get 3 people total, they'll teach you whatever you want. Been thinking about making a FOTC class--would be good to have this.

Thanks!

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:28 pm
by Cuse
Some pics, if interested.
Image
Image
Image
I don't know if this story has run anywhere before, but I can scan it, or type it out if someone wants to read it.
Image
Excuse my shoe, and the "inspected by" sticker that happened to be on the floor. :lol:

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:54 am
by helgecko
That looks so great. I may have to get it.

This may be a silly question, but is there any chance that Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) is written in notation style (or whatever the correct term for it is)? I learnt classical guitar and am far more comfortable reading notation style music to chords and tabs.
And Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) seems like the song most likely to be available in that style...? maybe?


edit: Oh! and I just realised the songs have "music and lyrics by" at the top! Do they all just say Bret and Jemaine, or are some one or the other? I'm always curious about which one of them wrote each song....

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:41 am
by Sherry
Cuse wrote:Some pics, if interested.
Image
I don't know if this story has run anywhere before, but I can scan it, or type it out if someone wants to read it.


That's the blurb on the SubPop site in the book. I read the first few lines and thought it was familiar so looked it up. And lo, same thing. Just to save you scanning it :lol:

http://www.subpop.com/bio/flight_of_the_conchords

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:47 am
by mockingbird
helgecko wrote:...I just realised the songs have "music and lyrics by" at the top! Do they all just say Bret and Jemaine, or are some one or the other? I'm always curious about which one of them wrote each song....

Good question!

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:06 am
by Cuse
All are listed as By B&J.

I also looked up the famous mumbling part from Think About it, and it's completely left out.

I haven't looked/listened thoroughly, but the lyrics don't match exactly. But that's only comparing to the One Night Stand version of Think About It.

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:10 am
by Cuse
helgecko wrote:This may be a silly question, but is there any chance that Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) is written in notation style (or whatever the correct term for it is)? I learnt classical guitar and am far more comfortable reading notation style music to chords and tabs.
And Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) seems like the song most likely to be available in that style...? maybe?


In the book? No. Everything is written out like in my sample page. Would have been better to have both, I must say.

I have a lot of trouble reading tabs because I play left-handed. But it seems there might be some mistakes just looking quickly. But I'm no guitar expert, so might just be me.

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 am
by Cuse
It's a nice book. Glossy cover, front and back. Saddle bound (meaning staples, not glued). Though looks like it was designed as perfect bound (notice the text on the spine in the back cover image). Sorry, publishing nerd here. lol

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:33 am
by helgecko
Cuse wrote:All are listed as By B&J.

oh :(

Cuse wrote:
helgecko wrote:This may be a silly question, but is there any chance that Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) is written in notation style (or whatever the correct term for it is)? I learnt classical guitar and am far more comfortable reading notation style music to chords and tabs.
And Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) seems like the song most likely to be available in that style...? maybe?

In the book? No. Everything is written out like in my sample page. Would have been better to have both, I must say.

ohhh :cry:

but the way you say "in the book?" has given me (probably false) hope that you have seen it written notationally elsewhere.....? :pray:

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:15 am
by TheFool
Is this what you mean by notation? (this would be the main chords to both of the parts, and Jemaine's arpeggios on the second part are just eighths of the highest three notes on the first chord [four total notes since the E is repeated on two strings] and the highest four on the second [with the F coming before the E for similar reasons to my last brackets'])

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:12 am
by helgecko
um, yes!! yes, that's what I mean! :shock:
Do you have the whole song written up like that?
:pray:

Re: Conchords sheet music - official book

Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:17 am
by Bad Atom
Maybe if I got this for my little brother, he would actually practice his guitar and not suck at it like he does right now? (files Christmas gift idea in brain)