Saw Arj's show Sept. 5

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Saw Arj's show Sept. 5

Postby Carol » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Well, I finally got to see Mr. Barker up close and personal! He was a delight, to say the least. Why, I even had a margarita! ! :drinkers: (I'm not a drinker, for those who don't know.) Got rid of the taste of that with a Pepsi!

After the show, he hung around to sell and sign his CDs. Hardly a soul took advantage of this opportunity. But I did. You bet I did! :rolleyes:

He was very talkative and very friendly. Signed my CD; agreed to a photo; talked a bit about myspace, twitter, facebook, his upcoming tour (and how much he loves Australia) etc. He was very down to earth and very, very HOT! I could've talked to him longer, but I really had to go potty! :roll:

What made my night was- when my friend and I were leaving (after the bathroom visit), he called me by name and thanked me again for coming. Might not sound like a big deal to y'all, but to me, it was.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Re: Saw Arj's show Sept. 5

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Carol wrote:Well, I finally got to see Mr. Barker up close and personal! He was a delight, to say the least. Why, I even had a margarita! ! :drinkers: (I'm not a drinker, for those who don't know.) Got rid of the taste of that with a Pepsi!

After the show, he hung around to sell and sign his CDs. Hardly a soul took advantage of this opportunity. But I did. You bet I did! :rolleyes:

He was very talkative and very friendly. Signed my CD; agreed to a photo; talked a bit about myspace, twitter, facebook, his upcoming tour (and how much he loves Australia) etc. He was very down to earth and very, very HOT! I could've talked to him longer, but I really had to go potty! :roll:

What made my night was- when my friend and I were leaving (after the bathroom visit), he called me by name and thanked me again for coming. Might not sound like a big deal to y'all, but to me, it was.

That's so cool. I really loved seeing him in July and would have liked to say "hi", but the place was packed, and we were at the early show.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:03 pm

If he makes his way to MI, I'll be looking for folks to go with me to see his show!!!!

(ahem...Laura, Kelly, Ardy...did I leave anyone out?)

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:03 pm

That's awesome Carol! I've seen him open for FOTC twice but if he came back to LA solo, I would for sure see him again. And I agree with you-he's a hottie. I was too nervous to talk to him after those shows but I wish I did. That's very cool that he remembered your name and thanked you for coming. :D
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Carol

Postby Carol » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:08 pm

It really was cool! I was rather surprised that he did hang around because he had a show after ours. They just set up a table by the bar and he just stood there-waiting to talk to people. And most just filed right by him and out the door! :(

It was a great place to see him. Just a little intimate club. I don't know why he played such a small venue when he can fill auditoriums, but I ain't complainin'. No ma'am, I ain't complainin' at all! :yawinkle:

CJ-I believe after a couple more shows out West he's off to Australia for like 3 months. But ANYTIME you have a chance to see him, I'd say TAKE IT!!!

This was the same club where the boys performed their "secret show" before starting the tour in April. Now, that would've been a great place to see them! So intimate!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Yes, Carol, I love that about Arj. He did five nights, two shows a night!, in Minneapolis.
Acme in Minneapols is kind of a run down little place, but the room and staff are perfect. I can see him liking smaller venues. He can probably see what's working and what isn't...

I do believe he is going to play a small theatre here in January, too.

I am bike-cheese!

Carol

Postby Carol » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Cool! I'm guessing with a username like yours, there's no way in he** you're gonna miss it, right?

I hope that he'll come back here again. He said he shuffles the routine about every 3 years--you don't think that means he'd wait that long to come back, do you? :worry:

Yeah, he did two shows a night here except for Saturday night when he did three. We went to the middle show. You know, we older folks can't stay out too late! haha ! Actually, I sort of wish we'd gotten tix to the last show. Maybe we could have taken him to dinner!

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Carol, I'm so glad you had such a great time! I was hoping some more reviews were going to crop up. I'm going to see him this Saturday, the 12th, in Seattle. I saw him open for the guys last May, so I'm looking forward to seeing him do a longer set.

I'm also glad to see he's doing meet'n'greets. (I actually have a cheesy gift to give him, so I hope does one in Seattle.) Thank you for the report!

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:21 am

Carol, I am so glad you got to meet Arj too!!! He is a terrific guy and makes everyone feel special that meets him. :heartbeat:

We saw him in a couple of venues now, he seems to like smaller places, more intimate. Yes, he knows how to work a room; he makes eye contact with people in the audience a lot, like he connects with people. :supz:

:love: Agreed: Arj is hot !!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Maze

Postby Maze » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:47 am

Carol, glad that you had such an awesome time with Arj. He seems like a supercool guy - and I'm bummed that he wasn't opening for them in Chicago. (Eugene was a ton of fun and I've come to appreciate him more that I see him.)

I agree with you guys that Arj has got it going on. To keep from going insane these past few days, I stepped up my googling and came across a new-to-me pic on the gothamist.com site. Thanks to the photographer who revealed Arj in almost all his comic glory. :D (It reminded me a tiny bit of the Nigel pic...man, these guys are brave!)

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:29 pm

He has that pic on his home page! I think it's hilarious.

I am bike-cheese!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:24 am

Carol wrote:Well, I finally got to see Mr. Barker up close and personal! He was a delight, to say the least. Why, I even had a margarita! ! :drinkers: (I'm not a drinker, for those who don't know.) Got rid of the taste of that with a Pepsi!

Carol- I definitely think that's a big deal! He's just as gracious and cool as the guys. I'd love to see him live, too. :) Sounds like you had a great time. Now, where's that pic?! :lol:

CJ- I'm in if he comes! Michael's in Ohio so he's practically a Michigander, lol. There are other MI WTFers but we didn't cross paths at the show, unfortunately.
Next time!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:54 am

Thanks for sharing your account of the night, Carol. That's so cool that he's so willing to talk to fans after the show and he does seem like a genuinely nice guy :D

Hope you enjoy yourself at Arj's show, DaMango. Be sure to report back how it all goes :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”