Well there you have it.

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Well there you have it.

Postby jillbean » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:02 am

What all-y'all said? I concur. From the list to the sections about finding out who the real guys are and loving them for being so much more than the characters they created!

And can I just say, that while I understand that there are stages of loss I just do not get why you would choose to express yourself during the angry stage to the guys ON THEIR WEB SITE. Really?! C'mon. I was just looking at the comments some folks are leaving in response to the Dec 10th post and it is irritating to see phrases like "guess the well of creativity ran dry" or the one person griping that they hijacked the idea from "Tenacious D" anyway.

Okay, maybe they are not in angry stages and instead they are simply jerks. It has me a bit salty is all.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:17 am

Wow! :shock: 163 comments?? I hadn't checked their site since the announcement. That's a lot of comments!

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:57 pm

jillbean wrote:
And can I just say, that while I understand that there are stages of loss I just do not get why you would choose to express yourself during the angry stage to the guys ON THEIR WEB SITE. Really?! C'mon. I was just looking at the comments some folks are leaving in response to the Dec 10th post and it is irritating to see phrases like "guess the well of creativity ran dry" or the one person griping that they hijacked the idea from "Tenacious D" anyway.

Okay, maybe they are not in angry stages and instead they are simply jerks. It has me a bit salty is all.

:shock:

How rude, wankers....I hope B & J don't read that trash.
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:24 am

Yeah, I noticed they turned off moderation for that announcement.....let people get it all out of their systems I guess.

Being rude or nasty isn't going to change anything. Idjits.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby helgecko » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:59 am

jillbean wrote:What all-y'all said? I concur. From the list to the sections about finding out who the real guys are and loving them for being so much more than the characters they created!

That's just freaking nasty and stupid. Probably just trolls who clicked the link from an article and are trying to get fans' backs up.

The post that cheesed me off was one guy who obviously was a fan, but said something along the lines of "ending the show after two series was a slap in the face to the fans". WTF?? What a dick. Like FotC owe it to the fans to keep making the show, whether they want to or not.
What a supremely nasty, ungrateful little man.

Okay, I'll stop venting now. :lol:
It is lovely to see a (mostly positive) outpouring of love in all the comments :D
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:39 am

Some of those fan-atic people have started to believe that performers work for them, and they want them at their beck and call. Thank goodness the guys bucked the system. "A slap in the face"? They don't owe these turkeys anything but perhaps a bit of gratitude for enjoying their work - that's it. Owe them a third season??? :witsend: In your dreams, buddy.

I loved your description of him, hel! :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:06 am

I kept saying on here that they shouldn't do a third season, so the guys must have read that and thought, "Hmm, that guy is smart. We should take his advice."

I'm very happy about it. No risk of running the show into the ground or stretching the material too thin. The show had its time and ended on a high note. And the guys can still tour and do TV specials whenever they like, at their own pace.

thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby thestray » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 am

Even though they'll still tour and do other stuff, I'll miss the characters and the situations. I kinda liked the non-musical parts more. But I'm excited for whatever they do next, I hope they do another special.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 pm

My impression is that they won't. If they are retiring the characters they won't do a special as those characters or a film as those characters. Frankly I think it's kind of good to put it to rest. It ran it's course and could only go so much further. Even bits of S2 seemed sort of forced or repetitive to me. One of my favorite shows went on 2 seasons too long and that left a bad enough taste in my mouth to taint the entire project. I wouldn't want to feel that way about FOTC so I'm glad they nipped it in the bud, took the high road and went out on top. I know someone who took the news in a way that rked me. She seemed to think that it was lazy & selfish for them not to continue. That you need to milk it while you're on top or you'll be forgotten. Seems to me she doesn't understand the concept of artistic integrity or the notion of not being motivated by fame or money. Annoying.
90% evil
ImageImage

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:05 pm

LauraK wrote:Yeah, I noticed they turned off moderation for that announcement.....let people get it all out of their systems I guess.

Being rude or nasty isn't going to change anything. Idjits.

"daddy what's an idjit?" :roll2:

And I agree with you SW. Sad to see them (or their characters go) but viry excited to see what comes next from Jemaine and Bret!
ImageImageImageImage

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:08 pm

SheWolf wrote:My impression is that they won't. If they are retiring the characters they won't do a special as those characters or a film as those characters. Frankly I think it's kind of good to put it to rest. It ran it's course and could only go so much further. Even bits of S2 seemed sort of forced or repetitive to me. One of my favorite shows went on 2 seasons too long and that left a bad enough taste in my mouth to taint the entire project. I wouldn't want to feel that way about FOTC so I'm glad they nipped it in the bud, took the high road and went out on top. I know someone who took the news in a way that rked me. She seemed to think that it was lazy & selfish for them not to continue. That you need to milk it while you're on top or you'll be forgotten. Seems to me she doesn't understand the concept of artistic integrity or the notion of not being motivated by fame or money. Annoying.

Exactly. It didn't seem to hurt Monty Python or Rowan Atkinson that Flying Circus and Blackadder didn't run 20 years. It makes those episodes more special. I really like the British model of making television - the idea runs its course - END IT. Or great US TV shows like the Mary Tyler Moore show that could have done over ten years, and ended on a high note. I'd rather have fewer and better shows!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't disagree, and I too trust and respect that Bret, Jemaine and James are in the best position to know the right thing to do. I really don't know how they could be thought of as lazy or selfish. :puzzled: They worked their asses off on the show and that's why it was so brilliant. I do think perhaps it is difficult for some to watch others set aside an opportunity that so many have worked so terribly hard to get a shot at. But life is not fair and the guy's certainly posess and earned the prerogative to pass on it, and they shouldn't be judged for that. I likewise would hope that had they chosen to make a third season that they wouldn't have then be labeled sellouts, or wouldn't have been thought to have lost their integrity.

For me the sadness remains. Not unlike when a beloved pet is put down in the prime of his life, Whatever the reason. Some fans are able to focus on the relief and end to suffering. It does seem that 'Rover' had no will to live. :lol: Some focus on not desiring to ever see 'him' look worse or lose his spark and would much prefer to always remember him at his best. Some can remember that the end was inevitable anyway. And some claim to have even already noticed small signs of him slowing down. ( :hrmpf: ) And despite all of that, some of us...were hoping beyond hope for a miracle. That somehow we could have experienced just a bit more time with our friend, because he brought so much joy to our lives. It doesn't matter the reason for the end of the HBO series, it is still a sad, painful loss to me.

All of us look forward to the hope of new "puppies" in our future. I love puppies, I do. I'm sure I will grow to adore them as well. But none will ever quite be able to replace 'Rover'. Nope, he was one of a kind.

Thanks for the ride, guys. *sniff* :heart:
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:54 pm

:rolls: Nonch that is the best analogy ever. Sums it up perfectly.

Rover was such a good dog. RIP Rover. *sniff* I can't even bring myself to put away his food dish yet. :(

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Well put, everyone.
I'll miss the show and the guys' characters, for sure, but I'll also really miss all the supporting folks who made such large contributions to the show's success. Cheers to all of you, glad I had a chance to meet so many of you, and hope to see you all in other adventures soon! :wave:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:27 pm

I appreciate the sadness, but I just can't see it as something ailing and being put out of its misery.
I liken it to something like the Brit Life on Mars, where it ended at the right moment and some of the characters went on to Ashes to Ashes. Or the original British Office - two great seasons, and a Christmas special.

I love the show, and will miss it, but I'd rather them walk away then let it go on so long that you forget why you liked it. (I'm looking at you The Simpsons)
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Return to “HBO TV series”