Well there you have it.

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Re: Well there you have it.

Postby Faith » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Totally agree about The Simpsons, mm. As much as I loved that show, it should have been put out of its misery like 10 years ago.

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:49 pm

MM, if you are referring to my post, I did not even remotely mean to suggest that the show was ailing. The 'relief' and end to 'suffering' was only in reference to the huge amount of time and creative effort, both physical and mental that Bret, Jemaine and James endured. Along with the personal sacrifices that the guys made to bring the show to the world. The guys are the ones to be released from the misery. :D
Image..Image..Image

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Oh, I get it. Der. A little slow on the uptake.

Still, I don't think it's as permanent as losing a pit, I mean a pet.
You have to psych yourself up, nonch! There will be video and songs and new photos from touring!
It will be like Christmas whenever they decide to get rolling....

But I understand... :goodman:
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby thestray » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:41 pm

SheWolf wrote:My impression is that they won't. If they are retiring the characters they won't do a special as those characters or a film as those characters. Frankly I think it's kind of good to put it to rest. It ran it's course and could only go so much further. Even bits of S2 seemed sort of forced or repetitive to me. One of my favorite shows went on 2 seasons too long and that left a bad enough taste in my mouth to taint the entire project. I wouldn't want to feel that way about FOTC so I'm glad they nipped it in the bud, took the high road and went out on top. I know someone who took the news in a way that rked me. She seemed to think that it was lazy & selfish for them not to continue. That you need to milk it while you're on top or you'll be forgotten. Seems to me she doesn't understand the concept of artistic integrity or the notion of not being motivated by fame or money. Annoying.

Well... I don't necessarily mean those "characters", but just do a taping of new songs like they did before the show existed. Basically I just want to see them perform new material with a crowd that doesn't already know the material. It's funnier when the crowd is not in on the joke to me. I remember in early performances of Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenoceros when Jemaine would go "my lyrics are bottomless!" there would be a pause before they laughed because they were actually waiting for him to say something, but in later performances they just automatically laugh, which kinda kills the joke to me.

I understand them ending the show, but I'll still miss it. I don't like when shows overstay their welcome and run themselves into the ground, but it's still unfortunate when they're really good but can only sustain that goodness for a few seasons. Some of my favorite comedies are on their 5th and 6th seasons, and still hilarious and getting better. So it's too bad they didn't have enough good material to do a couple more good seasons. Since they don't it's good that they're giving it up though.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 pm

ITA, stray. I also think that it would have been easier for them to continue and generate new ideas if the show had been produced in New Zealand. I wonder if TVNZ is still kicking themselves?
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

thestray

Postby thestray » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:00 pm

ITA is I totally agree? I don't know all the net shorthand so I usually have to figure it out from context, haha.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:01 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:Still, I don't think it's as permanent as losing a pit.
I don’t get the Rover analogy but I get The Simpsons thing. I'm so programmed to watch yet lately I groan more than I laugh.

I'm not sad for myself about missing the show. I was only sad briefly for the experience being over, for them. Regardless of how hard it was it was their break, what put them on the map and looking back on it when they are old I can only imagine it will be one of the highlights of their lives, particularly considering they both got married and had their first children during that time.

I’d love to see Bret & J completely reinvent themselves as the Conchords and I think the time for that will come after they give the rest of the planet the live show the US has seen already. I can totally understand not wanting to play (for example) Robots forever. The best idea I ever heard bandied about was a variety show. That’s the type of thing I’d love to see. If it was a short run – like 6 episodes or something, I wonder if they’d be up for it in a couple of years? I want to see B&J be funny with new material that has nothing to do with the HBO show.

Yis it must have been nice when people didn’t know the punchlines to their songs. The only experience I had was listening to Carol Brown and Freekie debuted during last year’s tour and Stana and the only played halfway a couple of times Badass this year. Those songs really excited me because they were new. It would be nice if they could get a new handful of songs together in the not so distant future but Bret has mentioned that it takes them a long time to write songs so I won’t hold my breath. In the meantime we have a bunch of tours to get through next year and that's really the most exciting part of their career I think.
90% evil
ImageImage

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:54 am

I love that a couple of folks have referred to the guys as going out on a high note because every time I read that phrase it brings to mind for me George from Seinfeld just getting up and leaving a work meeting after having made a comment that people laughed at with the explanation "I'm going out on a high note!" He uses the rest of his day to go see Titanic.

So the guys went out on their high note and now can go eat proper kebabs knowing they left us laughing :D

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:04 am

That is so funny MM that you mention the Simpsons because that is exactly the show that came into my mind as I was thinking about all this. Man I used to love the Simpsons, I never missed an episode back in the 90's. ;) I don't think I've watched the show at all in five years. :( It's sad because we used to be so tight, lol.

Gracie

Postby Gracie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:44 am

Aww Mock, that is sad. I feel the same way. But I always find myself rewatching the old eps - I never tire of them. But I never bother with the new ones.

I felt a little sad when I read someone talking about it in the newspaper. They said something along the lines of, "In its prime, The Simpsons was without a doubt the best show on television." I hope that it's remembered for how great it once was.
La La La La

This is outrageous, this is contagious...So...futile.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Whenever I start getting down about the Simpsons I think of my favorite episode, A Fish Called Selma, featuring the indomitable Troy McClure playing the part of the human. "It's the part I was born to play!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzEfV3QbCU
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Oh my gosh that episode was SO FUNNY. I'd forgotten about Troy's fish fetish. It would totally not be weird for him if he touched a mermaid's fishy half, lol.

I think one of my favorite episodes was the one where Homer and Mr. Burns get trapped in that cabin by the avalanche. "I think we should dress the snowmen." "Agreed." :lol:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Troy McClure. RIP. :cry: I don't remember the avalanche one. There are so many good ones. It's only because I have A Fish Called Selma on DVD that I know it so well. It's a perfect episode. Funny throughout & great no matter how many times I watch it. Much like Mugged (nice segue back to FOTC eh?)
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:18 pm

SheWolf wrote:Troy McClure. RIP. :cry:

Yeah. :(

Gracie

Postby Gracie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:46 am

In a bold move that has stunned Hollywood insiders, newly-divorced comeback-kid Troy McClure has turned down the supporting lead in McBain IV to direct and star in his own pet project: The Contrabulous Fabtraption of Professor Horatio Hufnagel. Will the gambit pay off? 20th Century Fox is betting... it will.
La La La La

This is outrageous, this is contagious...So...futile.

Return to “HBO TV series”