Tour of Europe?

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Re: Tour of Europe?

Postby Faith » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:04 am

closet jemainiac wrote:unless I hit the lotto (although that might mean I'd have to PLAY the lotto first :lol: )

:lol: That's what I've been saying that I need to win the lotto, but that would require me to actually play to win.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:10 am

As I've said before anything after April 15th is doable for me so I'm assuming I'm good to go with 'summer' as that would most likely mean June at the earliest. I have to renew my passport but that only takes 6 weeks so no biggie there. I think it's $75 to renew which I've been meaning to do anyway so this just lights a fire under my ass to get it done.

I wouldn't expect them to announce dates until a couple months before the shows. My concern is getting tickets as I have no idea what the protocol is for doing it from across the pond and I don't know if there is a mess with scalping over there like there is here. Maybe one of our UKers can shed some light on that.

I don't know if this is asking too much or not but I'll throw it out there. At some point nearer to the tour when some of the undecided US folks can more accurately determine if they are really able to go or not I was wondering if some of our sista folkers in the tour countries might be willing to buy extra tickets for us when they go onsale? I for one know I'd be willing to immediately reimburse anyone who did so for me via Paypal or any other type of online payment thingy so that said person wouldn't be put out by the expenditure. Coming from across the pond I imagine we'd all like to be confident that we actually have a real ticket before planning the whole thing and this type of hookup would make some of the process less stressful for sure.
90% evil
ImageImage

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:13 am

SheWolf wrote:As I've said before anything after April 15th is doable for me so I'm assuming I'm good to go with 'summer' as that would most likely mean June at the earliest. I have to renew my passport but that only takes 6 weeks so no biggie there. I think it's $75 to renew which I've been meaning to do anyway so this just lights a fire under my ass to get it done.

I wouldn't expect them to announce dates until a couple months before the shows. My concern is getting tickets as I have no idea what the protocol is for doing it from across the pond and I don't know if there is a mess with scalping over there like there is here. Maybe one of our UKers can shed some light on that.

I don't know if this is asking too much or not but I'll throw it out there. At some point nearer to the tour when some of the undecided US folks can more accurately determine if they are really able to go or not I was wondering if some of our sista folkers in the tour countries might be willing to buy extra tickets for us when they go onsale? I for one know I'd be willing to immediately reimburse anyone who did so for me via Paypal or any other type of online payment thingy so that said person wouldn't be put out by the expenditure. Coming from across the pond I imagine we'd all like to be confident that we actually have a real ticket before planning the whole thing and this type of hookup would make some of the process less stressful for sure.

That would be a good way to assure that you folks would get to sit together too, hopefully.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:29 am

I went to Berkeley this year without tickets for both shows but that's only coz I wanted to go to CA anyway and I was confident that they'd be available once there. I don't have that same confidence with going to the UK coz, as I said, I don't know how it works. So having a real ticket from a trusted source (a WTFer) would be a good place to start the logistic nightmare of planning the rest. (Can you tell I'm dreading this already?)

I don't care about sitting together. I have no doubt that whoever of us goes we'll be able to get together and hang out before and after shows. Though I guess it would be cool if we could all sit together and have a WTF banner or something that lights up to freak Jemaine out. :P
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:32 am

That would be so great.

You guys could wear t-shirts with your winning WTF Forum Awards on them, hehe. :P
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:35 am

And BAA. :lol:

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:39 am

:purple: Yes to banners, t-shirts, and BAAing!! I know you ladies fortunate enough to go will represent WTF very well!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:48 am

There is a chance that the tour will start in May which isn't the best month for me since my exam period is around mid-late May so that's a little tricky. Hopefully they'll still be touring in June when I know I will be much more free.

Usually major tours are announced months in advance so I would be expecting an announcement of dates by next month and no later than March if the tour does start in May/June. I suppose it does really depend on the scale of the tour. It seems to me that the ticket process over here is similar to the US. Most tickets for major music/comedy events are sold through Ticketmaster and there is the possibility of tickets being scalped. However if FOTC decide to perform in smaller venues, then we may be able to purchase tickets through the venue's own website (e.g. Bloomsbury Theatre) which generally is less hassle but there probably is going to be a lot of interest for tickets which can cause some problems.

SW, I understand why you would ask for WTFers in Europe to purchase tickets but I'm pretty sure the tickets will be able to purchased wherever you are so everyone should be able to try to purchase tickets regardless of where they live. The more people we have trying to buy tickets, the better. If anything, depending on the venue/website, they may require you to state a UK address to send the tickets to but you can check what the policy is of the website selling the tickets beforehand. In many cases, you just have to pick up tickets on the night at the venue.

I have thought about how we're all going to purchase tickets. I guess we need to be in close contact with eachother when we try to figure out how many tickets each of us will be purchasing and we'll have to be contact precisely at the time when the tickets are onsale. It's all quite complicated but I just think as soon as we get the tour dates and venues, we can start all the major planning. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:54 am

Do you guys have Craigslist in the UK, or something like it? Because if by some chance anyone misses out on tix, there were always some being sold on CL at not bad prices close to the show dates in each city here.
Right after they went on sale, they were being scalped ridiculously high online but if you waited til a week or less b4 a show- the prices dropped dramatically.

Just something to keep in mind but hopefully everyone who's going will be in on the pre-sale and get good seats!! :D

Before we know it, it'll be over and we'll be ooh-ing and aah-ing over your pics and new hug-avatars and having tour smackdowns and making another tour video! :shock:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:07 am

I think we do have Craigslist but I don't think it's as popular as it is in the US. Sounds quite similar to http://www.gumtree.com which is more popular over here. If tickets are scalped, they'll probably end up on eBay for obscene amounts of money.

I haven't been involved in many presales but from what I've heard, I wouldn't necessarily say that presales hold back the best seats. Sometimes venues hold back a few good seats for the presale but from the experiences my friends have had, it's not unusual to be offered fairly average placed seats in presales which just leads people just to wait until the general sale for the best seats. I'd definitely try in both the presale and the general sale but I just wouldn't be too disheartened if people don't get great seats during the presale.
&

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 am

Venus wrote: The more people we have trying to buy tickets, the better.
Yis indeed. Urgh to Ticketmaster though. What a crap set up that is. However, this year the presale password given out on their MySpace was a godsend. Everyone I know who wanted to get tics was able to get them during the presale and good seats to boot. It worked out well that I was able to get a good ticket to the NYC show only a few days before at face value too through Ticketmaster but that only worked because I can drop everything and pop into NYC if need be. It obviously wouldn't work that way with UK shows and Craigslist - nope I don't trust them. Berkeley was always a problem, probably because it was the last date of the tour and scalpers snatched all the good ones up and then stood outside between shows unable to give them away and there were empty seats in the pit- THE PIT I TELL YOU!! Yes this still burns my ass. :evil: So anyway I'd be very comfortable with a presale. Yis presale please. Jemaine are you listening. :pray:
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:22 am

Yes I remember the presale password being announced by the HBO people who run their Facebook page as well. I know, Ticketmaster can make things so much more difficult. I'm just hoping everyone who is planning to go on here can gets really good seats. :pray:

This is why I really want to know the dates and venues soon. I just want the time to plan ahead. I have the patience to wait for the actual concerts in the summer though (as long as it's no later than this summer). ;)
&

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:51 am

u sound like me, V. :lol: Im usually anxious about stuff like that...must plan!!!! :D

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:39 am

Oh my gosh, just take a look at our thread for this year's tour - we were insane!!!!!! But we came away with great seats. If you want to know the best tips, there's a thread that Cuse set up, giving advice on how to make sure you get tickets. My God, I just got that familiar nervous tummy feeling, and nothing's even been announced yet! :doh:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:18 am

I've been exploring accommodations and doing a bit of planning already.

For getting around, would this be a good idea?: http://www.raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/britrail-pass/index.html

I'm planning to stay for at least 1 week and a youth 8 day pass is only $285.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”