Chat Show Confidential

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Chat Show Confidential

Postby thestray » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:05 am

When Dick Whatshisface says that Conan is "an abysmal failure" all that really means is that not enough old people watch him, haha. Conan always has and always will do better with a younger demographic. His brand of comedy is adventurous and snarky, he takes risks. Leno on the other hand, geezers love him, what he does is soft and easy (as Kimmel illustrated very well by portraying him, haha). Safe comedy that old people can doze off to sleep to. It might be good that Conan is leaving the Tonight Show, it would be really sad if Conan started being lazy to appeal to old people and please the affiliates.

I always thought basing so much off of the Nielsen ratings was absurd anyway. If you don't know how they get those numbers, they come from people who have signed up or been selected (no idea how that happens) to have a thing connected to their tv that records your watching habits. Do any of you, or anyone you know have those boxes hooked up to your tv? I've personally never known of anybody. The system seems flawed and biased to me, and a really archaic way for them to be making this big decisions based off of.

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:59 am

closet jemainiac wrote:DT! After Faith posted the Istanbul one I spent waaaayyy too much time watching Craig Ferguson clips on youtube. "He loves you" one was my fav too!!!!!

I think the dance move that starts at 50 seconds deserves a nickname not unlike "snake hips" :lol: and yes it is kinda hot. You know any man that can move on the dance floor can move OFF the dance floor too! :twisted: :snakeman:

Dancing men make me happy. :D

Yup! me too. Really any man that can move on the dance floor can move off the dance floor too? Knowledge imparted that I shall have to reflect upon. :twisted: I was unaware of this fact!

I love the oops clip too!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:16 am

Oh man....I obviously don't get to watch Craig enough....those clips were hilarious! Can't wait to have Mom over and show her...:lol: Thanks, you guys.

stray, we have an accord! :thumb:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby thestray » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:31 am

Someone made another good point at the "I'm With Coco" facebook page.

"If anyone starts an argument with, "Jay had higher ratings or more viewers" just say, "Oh, but they obviously weren't passionate enough to watch his show at 10, which was a miserable failure." Conan's fans don't care about times or shows, they care about the man."

Very true. Conan has loyal fans who will follow his show no matter where he goes. While on the other hand Leno went on half an hour earlier and his viewership dropped off.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:22 am

Slate provides some perspective with writer Troy Patterson* revisiting the book The Late Shift, about Leno beating out Letterman for Carson's timeslot: http://www.slate.com/id/2241549

* The writer who penned these immortal lines: "Clement, with his glasses and his cleft chin and his inch-wide sideburns, resembles a hybrid of David Cross and someone very handsome. His shtick is self-delusional buffoonery. McKenzie has a face like a knife and eyes to make all the girls swoon. Coincidentally, his shtick is delusional buffoonery."
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:44 pm

MM, that quote is great! "delusional buffoonery"= awesome :thumb: :lol:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:39 pm

Dick Ebersol used to work on SNL and so did Conan - I think they were there at the same time, but now that Dick is in management, I think he felt the need to speak for the suits. I was really surprised and disappointed reading his quotes.
What if Conan took the 10 o'clock spot? Maybe NBC would see that it wasn't Conan's fault, but the abysmal lead-in from the 10:00 Jay debacle. After moving all those families for Conan's show, it's unconscionable that NBC would just let him swing in the wind. Shame on you, NBC! :wag:

I'm what you could probably call an old geezer, and I like Conan and Jimmy Fallon better than Jay. From the first week Jay took over and had no THEME SONG, I didn't like it. Can anybody sing Jay's theme song??? But Conan and Jimmy Fallon have great musical backup, which doubles the appeal to me.

Stray, I know exactly how they choose Nielsen families (they don't sign up), but I'm not allowed to write about it on an open forum. :whistle: PM me :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:11 pm

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/nbc ... 01-18-2010

GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................. :angry2: :thump: <---NBC execs---> :pile:
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:59 pm

ImageImage

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:44 am

I hope Conan ends up on Fox or cable and Poops on NBC by getting higher ratings than Leno!

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... nues_.html

And since I don't watch Leno's show, check out the shot he took at Letterman at the end of this blog: (full of Conan's excellent digs at NBC...)
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... -punching/
ImageImage

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:56 am

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:11 am

Kind of want to challenge Jay Leno to some sort of mall fight now.... really getting on my nerves. If you read this I formally challenge you to a fair and sprightly fight in a mall, sir! Winner gets... er... :hrm: some french fries! :D I could also throw in a bag of dog hair clippings to sweeten the deal. :worry: :D
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:41 am

Whoa, Twilight Zone moment: I clicked on Laura's link, and as I did, Conan started saying the first line of the article I was reading at the exact same time! :shock:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:46 am

Oooo, cool Nancy! :D

Faith, that was a riot! :lol: I loved the one they did for Tiger Woods, too...
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”