Chat Show Confidential

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Chat Show Confidential

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Well, it's a done-deal. I still think Conan got royally screwed. Yes, they're paying him off big-time, but he'd wanted The Tonight Show for a Loooooooooong time. :(

Major kudos to Conan for getting good money for his staff, and then adding to it out of his money.

I hope Jay tanks.

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show-wi ... no_o_brien
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:55 pm

I've been watching Conan all week, and have had a blast. He surely deserved the chance that Jay was given 17 years ago to build an audience.

I do not plan on watching Jay, just on principle. :hrmpf:

If he had class, he would have bowed out gracefully and moved on. Instead, so many people who just moved from one coast to another for Conan's show have to uproot again, AND find jobs.

Hey, what if nobody watched Jay - at all?? :snakeman:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm with you- not watching Jay at all. :hrmpf:
ImageImage

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Sad thing is, Jay's probably a nice guy and he was screwed as well, but I see a polarization coming in Hollywood - if you're an actor who was in favor of Conan, would you go on Jay now?? It'll be interesting to see what happens. :popcorn:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Ah, I'm glad this is over. I think everyone will do everyone's show, unless they have a huge personal animus toward Jay, like Howard Stern.

That was really ugly. Good job, NBC! :roll:
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:47 am

Conan, just unbelievable - Pee Wee Herman was on to explain the legal complications between Conan and NBC - hysterical.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:10 am

Using dolls. Genius. :lol:

I'm taping it so I can watch it w/o the commercials.

How'd you like Robin Williams? Lol....man oh man....loved his song....and swearing at NBC and pretending to whip out....well. :lol: It was good.

Barry Manilow should never have had that unfortunate plastic surgery. He looks weird. Just sayin.
ImageImage

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:55 am

FREE BIRD! :prayer: :supz:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:08 am

Tata, Coco...:wave: :tears:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby thestray » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:28 pm

I'm now wondering how I'm going to get through 7 months without Conan, haha. I've never gone that long without him, he's always been a staple in my life. It's going to feel like something's missing now, until he comes back.

His last show was very touching. I like what he said about cynicism. I think that's such a great message to put out there that isn't said enough. People my age seem to be so jaded and negative nowadays, it's so silly, we live in amazing time where so much is possible, there's no reason to not have some optimism.

I got a little choked up when he did though, as a long time fan I really felt the sincerity of his thank you to his fans. I think Conan is different from other hosts in the sense that it's not just his comedy that makes him endearing, but you truly feel like you get to know him a little when you watch him. He seems so genuine. Well, can't wait for his return! I'm sure when he comes back he'll be even better than ever.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Amen to all that you said, Stray! :nod:

I too was choked up and moved by his cynicism speech. More people should live by his code of values.

I loved how fiercely faithful he was to his staff - now he's someone I would love to work for!

Good things will eventually happen to this good man.

Let the withdrawal begin! :shock:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:04 pm

I agree Nancy about Barry Manilow. I saw him in Vegas this summer, he looks so weird, and in person, he is tiny and frail...and freakish looking, but puts on a great show!

As for Coco, it is cute how Conan is a little embarrassed by that name. Robin Williams is great!!! He flipped off the powers that be a couple of times, he is so cool.
And...Andy trying to land a gig, any gig on tv. Like him saying "If you want me on one of those celebrity rehab shows, you name the drug and I will be addicted to it tomorrow!!" man, that was too funny!!

Last night I got a bit weepy watching the last Conan show. Tom Hanks was classic, it was a great show. His goodbye was really touching...

anyway...I watched him every night, or dvr'd him and watched next day. I am sick about this Leno thing...why couldn't he [Leno] just go away? really?

I would go to Hermosa beach several times each summer and on Sunday nights Leno would do stand up at the Hermosa Beach Magic and Comedy Store. He owns it I think...anyway it was always Sunday nights he would show up in a different car each time, or a motorcycle...cruise the streets around the place, just being kinda cool really, and he would be all casual and come onstage to try out jokes for week of shows, I had him talk to me about my profession one night, "I almost died when he picked me out of our table! :shock: " because he was matching "pets with your profession" he got quite a kick out of that and making fun of our tables' combo's.....my best friend Beverly sitting next to me is a Manager of a restaurant and owns a tiny terrier...our other friend is a fight attendant and yeah, he has a poodle..his boyfriend (pilot) has a cat.. at the time I had my Rottweiler, "BJ" :lol:

I went to taping of Tonight Show with Leno, had a great time, and am sorry to never get that chance with Conan, because we were gonna go this late spring or summer.

So I am not a Leno hater, I just hate this situation that NBC has caused. :doh:
I think Conan is far funnier, far more talented, and really great guy. I hope he lands somewhere BIG and does very very well!!! :clap:

I joined the "I'm with Coco" group on facebook...cuz I am with CoCo...(and Andy)
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:07 pm

wow that is my longest post ever I think!! sorry for rambling..

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:08 pm

I'm definitely sorry to see him go. Hope to see him go on to bigger and better things. He went out with class and I loved when he said "If you work really hard, and are kind, amazing things will happen."
Last edited by Faith on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:23 pm

I was doing really well until I saw Conan get choked up there when he was talking about how touched he was seeing people camp out to be there for his last show. Then I lost it. Wept like a little girl. He just seems like a genuine person and he is genuinely funny. I've never watched his show and not laughed, which I can't honestly say the same for Leno's show. I won't watch his show anymore just out of principle! But my parents still will, so I'm not sure how much good THAT will do...

Anyway - I will watch whatever show Conan comes back with in 7 months. And until then, re-runs, re-runs, re-runs! Plus, this will give him 7 months to enjoy his family and come up with some material for whatever he decides to do next (I'm assuming another late-night show)...

I think that Conan would be much better suited for Fox, Comedy Central, Showtime, or HBO...just please not HBO because I don't get it! :(
Last edited by kellysouthpaw on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off topic rambles”