Arj's Debut Comedy Album 'LYAO'

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: Arj's Debut Comedy Album 'LYAO'

Postby DaMango » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 am

LauraK wrote:
I'd love to see him live. Are you going to watch this, DaMango, or wait til his show? :D
So cool that you get to see him again...hope the bf goes and you get lots of pics of you guys all hanging out together. :supz:

Thanks, 4ecf!

Actually, I'm super lame and don't have TV, so I can't watch the special. :( Maybe I can get my mom to tape it. Or maybe I'll just wait to see him live, and let it be a surprise. :D

I won't be disappointed if I hear some of the same jokes from his Seattle show, because he was so funny (and because it was only 4 months ago, which isn't much tine to come up with a whole new act). I'm very excited that my boyfriend is coming along this time, I would LOVE to get a photo of them together. He's doing 5 shows altogether during the 3 days. I'm going to the 7:30pm show on Friday, Feb 5th. I wish I could afford to go to all 5 shows, but alas...

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:45 am

haha DM, why is it that we want pics of our significant others and our celeb crushes? :lol: I would SOOOO want a pic of my Brett and the guys or Arj....I dont know what might happen though

me>>>> :thud:

I had a dream recently that my hubby and J posed for a pic with me by standing behind me with their arms crossed like bodyguards and an eyebrow raised (standing their like the twin towers guarding my short little self) :lol:

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 am

I want some eye candy to display in my cubicle! :P

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks for posting that, 4ever :lol:
ARJ AT LARGE
Barker kills his audiences with comedy
By ED KAZ! • COMEDY CORRESPONDENT • January 22, 2010

How best to describe Arj Barker? We'll let his MySpace bio do it for us: "I'm a stand-up comedian, and I love my job, because I get to visit exotic places, meet lots of interesting people, and kill them. . ."

Well, uh. . . I'm pretty sure he means that in a comedic way, right? Right. Anyway, Barker plans to continue his audience killing spree this weekend with a stop at New Brunswick's Stress Factory.

KAZ!: Arj, why would anyone want to become a comedian anyway?
BARKER: Free booze, lots of attention, and you can sleep in nearly every day!
KAZ!: How does funny stuff come to you?
BARKER: Ouija board in the dressing room!
KAZ!: Do people always expect you to be funny, even at moments when you are not supposed to be funny, like when you're pricing leaf-blowers at Target?
BARKER: I don't shop at Target for that reason. I go to another store called "Just Leaf-Blowers," and everybody shows up at Target like "Where is he?" Burned!
KAZ!: What's your favorite cake?
BARKER: I like ice cream cake the best because all other cake needs ice cream to be good, but with ice cream cake, the ice cream is built in!
KAZ!: If you weren't doing comedy, what the heck WOULD you be doing?
BARKER: Very similar to what I do already, only I'd have that extra free hour at night.
KAZ!: What do you love the most about New Brunswick?
BARKER: I love the audiences at the Stress Factory. So respectful and intelligent. Can't wait!

Have a great weekend, and please remember to laugh responsibly

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Arj Barker: LYAO
by Reid Faylor
January 22, 2010

While listening to LYAO, the new album from Arj Barker, it was hard for me to keep track of how often I found myself doubled over in laughter, hands on my head, shouting, “It’s so stupid!” Yet, to me, this is one of the best signs of great comedy: jokes that are so ludicrous that there is a part of the brain that is in complete disbelief that it’s actually hearing what is being said.

The album, released by Warner Bros. Records, is steeped in this kind of silliness –a level of absurdity that can only be achieved by a performer with such confidence and commitment as Barker. Granted, while no big issues or truths are really tackled, the comedian and former supporting player on Flight of the Conchords instead provides a dose of deceptively well-crafted ridiculousness that exists for its own sake.

This is not to say the material is easy or superficial. Somewhere around the point that Barker begins accusing his water of war crimes, tearfully reminiscing the father of his current shampoo, and reluctantly stopping a joke because he is not smart enough to finish it, it becomes clear there is a sense of brilliance to such idiocy. He has the ability to lure the audience unexpectedly into his reality, to take them from an area of relative sanity and relatable experience into absurdity and surrealism.

Often, what I appreciated the most was his commentary on the jokes themselves. He’s not just creating this ridiculous, selfish, adolescent character, he also lets you look behind the curtain to see the person laughing at and acknowledging the stupidity of what was just created. His comedy is intelligen–t not in a way that’s heavy-handed or pretentious, but rather in its absolute willingness to be completely idiotic.

Check out a track from the album here

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:03 am

You can preorder 'LYAO' on itunes for $7.99.

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:17 am

YEA!! Arj's show was pretty funny indeed!! He is so cute too...I mean the way he delivers his lines, such a goof ball. Love him!!!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:11 pm

I tivoed it. Can't wait!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Just watched his special this morning. Some really funny stuff.

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Some of the jokes are re-cycled, but I don't care he is so funny.

I do not like that shirt, it was a joke he tweeted about earlier in summer. :drool: But he could be naked and I think he would look great..... :oops: wait, what did I say??
That was just me thinking out loud again, I must step away from the keyboard... :oops:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:21 am

ARGGGHHH! I set the ol VCR to tape this and when we went to watch it....it was dave Atell!!! I even checked the tv guide to make sure I had the time right.....leave it to me to screw it up.

Poop. I hope they rerun it soon....

Glad to hear we can get it on iTunes so cheap! Now that I actually have an iPod, I can get stuff and put it on there, lol.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:35 pm

LauraK wrote:ARGGGHHH! I set the ol VCR to tape this and when we went to watch it....it was dave Atell!!! .
I did the same thing. Bloody TV Guide. I caught the last minute of Arj though and something tells me he went shopping at that western shirt store in Denver along with Bret & J.
90% evil
ImageImage

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:58 pm

SheWolf wrote:
LauraK wrote:ARGGGHHH! I set the ol VCR to tape this and when we went to watch it....it was dave Atell!!! .
I did the same thing. Bloody TV Guide. I caught the last minute of Arj though and something tells me he went shopping at that western shirt store in Denver along with Bret & J.

Maybe on the 2008 tour?
It was filmed in January 2009. I was so bummed it was happening. They had $10 tix and everything, and the Pantages is a glorious theater. He did 5 nights and 10 shows at Acme in the summer was great.

Yeah, Comedy Central pisses me off. They and Logo hose up the schedule all the time. Hrm, I think it's an MTV Networks thing...

I liked it, but it was hacked to bits. It went to commercial mid-joke. Still, he was on. Good show.
His whole bit with the "cruelty-free soap" went on forever and was hilarious.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:47 am

Hey Gang!
Didn't know where to post this:

You can vote for Arj at the following website:

http://comedians.jokes.com/standup-showdown/browse/a-c

Yeah!!! and to be equal you can vote for Demetri too...

I have such love for them both...and there are others but...GO ARJ !!!!

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”