3 & 4 May - Amsterdam (European Tour 2010)

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

3 & 4 May - Amsterdam (European Tour 2010)

Postby Amanda » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:48 pm

VENUE: Melkweg Max (1500 seats)
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: 04 MAY AMSTERDAM (European Tour 2010)

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Going to try for this one. Fingers crossed.
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: 03 MAY AMSTERDAM (European Tour 2010)

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:39 am

I'm going to this one. The tickets are general admission. I think that's cool. This is a photo I found of The Max.

Has anyone been to a concert at this venue? I've been told that they sometimes bring in chairs.
I'm curious as to how general admission will go. And I kind of hope that there aren't chairs. :dance:
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Re: 04 MAY AMSTERDAM (European Tour 2010)

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:42 am

I'll be there. 8)
Image..Image..Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:18 am

Oh no....chairs, please!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:45 am

It'll probably mean first come, first served so to speak. If its seated and they haven't allocated seat numbers it'll mean a bun fight. Usually the Dutch are polite about such things but if they feel you jumped the queue or stole their seat/spot they will probably let you know :lol:

If its standing, again, first in the door would get the best spot. All the gigs I went to there were standing ones but of course, they were not anything like the Conchords. I can't imagine seeing the Conchords unless sitting down. It wouldn't work for me :| The dialogue in between songs and stuff would be lost if you have to try to peer over peoples heads and bang elbows.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:58 pm

So I may be looking at a long line up before the gig? Like Amoeba?

I don't mind the standing part really (this may be because I kinda hope that Bret won't be able to resist the temptation to crowd surf) but 1500 people standing?!?! :shock: I like a bit of personal space myself, and I've been in a few crowd crushing situations. Not pleasant. I don't think that would be a problem at a Conchords concert though. The crowd at the concert I saw in the US seemed to be made up mostly of couples. This keeps the ladies in check, methinks. :lol:
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Don't worry. We'll just get there at noon or something. :lol: And we've got 2 nights to work it out. So if we wind up with a crappy view the first night we'll just get there earlier the next night, we'll learn from the mistakes, ya know? It might be cool to watch them from that 2nd level once.

I don't think people are going to be pushing or anything (I know what you mean about crowd pushing situations, Times Square on New Year's Eve traumatized me for a few years :lol: ) It is weird to be standing, particularly in the front, it would just feel so naked or something. I just worry that the Dutch are a tall lot and it would suck to be behind big heads.
90% evil
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:54 pm

The Dutch are generally tall :lol: My ex was 6'4, his sister over 6 foot :shock: There was me, 5'9, practically a midget :lol:

I'd think if you get their early you'd be fine. The other thing is the Melkweg is pretty centrel so one of you will be able to run off to the loo or a coffee or sustanance from Febo :shock: if needed while the other remains in the queue.

Also the thing to do is if you are arriving a day or two before, go to the venue, check it out, ask at the ticket office about the seating/standing set up for the gig and see what they say. The Dutch speak excellent English so won't be any problem asking them and getting a clear answer.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:08 am

Good advice Sherry. Thanks.
90% evil
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Would also like to mention that on April 30th of each year its Koninginnedag. Its the largest national holiday in the Netherlands and while its great fun to see and join in with it does mean that the population of Amsterdam swells to something like double its size and also the streets are packed and everywhere is full. Its like one massive street party.

If you are planning on getting there a couple of days early I'd strongly suggest to not arrive on or before this date. Mainly as a) accomadation is often booked up and b) it makes getting anywhere or doing any proper sightseeing near on impossible and c) it is also blooming expensive

Some areas are less busy and it can be a lot of fun but if you dont know the city or anyone there it can be a real pot luck shoot where you end up and what you do.

I'd advise arriving a day or two after this and therefore missing the crowds and the mayhem and also the accomadation won't be as full. If you want to have a bit of time there, stay on after the gigs rather than arriving too soon before.

I used to love Koninginnedag. We'd go out about 10pm on the 29th and not make it home till about 5pm and the 30th :lol: People start selling stuff on their doorsteps and on the streets from midnight (in residential areas usually from around breakfast time till mid afternoon on the 30th) and the city centre is jam packed with people, street performers, bars with DJ's and parties in the streets, food vendors and more. Its a great atmosphere but often we would just get swept along in the crowds without being able to really choose where we wanted to go. And trying to get served at a bar or some place was hellish and often meant no chance to sit down. But then we usually partied the night away, went to the Vondelpark in the daytime as its set aside for kids events and stuff and has a really great atmosphere on the day with lots going on. Or else to a party or rooftop BBQ or some such.

Times like this I really miss Amsterdam.

Will dig up some good places to check out and so on for those visiting :)

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks Sherry. Koninginnedag sounds crazy fun. Maybe the Amsterdamians, er Amsterdamites...whatever...will be too hung over to battle for front row at the FotC concerts. :lol:

From your descriptions and information, plus a bit of googling, I'm beginning to be every bit as excited about exploring the city as I am about the concert. Less than two months!!! :whitey:

It's really too bad you can somehow get over to this gig. :( How long did you live in Amsterdam?

Sherry wrote:Will dig up some good places to check out and so on for those visiting

:prayer: Thank you!
Image..Image..Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:18 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:Thanks Sherry. Koninginnedag sounds crazy fun. Maybe the Amsterdamians, er Amsterdamites...whatever...will be too hung over to battle for front row at the FotC concerts. :lol:

I am sure they would have recovered by then. Besides, the Melkweg is one of the most well known live venues in the city. The What's On listing is always free round the city each month and so everyone will know about it.

nonchalant obsession wrote:From your descriptions and information, plus a bit of googling, I'm beginning to be every bit as excited about exploring the city as I am about the concert. Less than two months!!! :whitey:

It's really too bad you can somehow get over to this gig. :( How long did you live in Amsterdam?

I lived there 5 years. Mostly in the south part of the city, really nice neighbourhoods. Worked in the city centre for the most part. It is a wonderful city. Due to the red light distrcit and its relaxed (tho not as relaxed as people may think) approach to soft drugs people do have a huge misconception of what the city is like. The red light distrist is one small part of an amazing city and an area easily avoided. Same with the cafes for buying/smoking pot. There are lots around but there are plenty of other places to go eat/drink/sit that are away from them.

The city has a wealth of culture, museums, theatre, parks, restaurants and others sights to keep a person busy for weeks without needing to see any of the above. You'll love it. I went there for a long weekend, liked it so much I moved back there and stayed 5 years. I would have stayed forever probably but for a few things beyond my control. My ex used to say I was more Dutch than he was :lol: I just adored the place. Never tired of it. Never will. I go back now and its a love affair that just carries on. Part of me would love to live there again but I know in reality it won't happen now. I hanker after it from time to time but try not to dwell on it too much.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Image to sample the plethora of delights that this most beloved city has to offer. I'm completely prepared to fall in love with it as you did. The canals look lovely. Are they all throughout the city?

Image :drool:

Sherry wrote:Besides, the Melkweg is one of the most well known live venues in the city. The What's On listing is always free round the city each month and so everyone will know about it.

Yeah, those tickets sold out fast. :nails: So we might want to line up at dawn? :lol:

SheWolf, you are right. At least we can make up for any missteps on the second night.
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Sherry wrote:The red light distrist is one small part of an amazing city....

Oh my. Is this what it looks like?

SheWolf, we better bring lots of cash. :lol:
Image..Image..Image

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”