2010 European Tour Dates Announced!!!

The place where all the 2010 European (and US) Tour threads are now moved to. If it's not there, it's here ;)
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: 2010 European Tour Dates Announced!!!

Postby kipples » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:36 am

It never even crossed my mind that the concerts could be effected, especially as they're a couple of weeks away, until I read the posts here.

Now I don't know whether I should be positive like Laura said, or expect the worst so at least I'll get what I want if my expectations are wrong. :pray:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:47 am

Some gorgeous pics of the volcano:

http://www.millhouse.nl/eyjafjallajokull2010.html

Here's an article that addresses what you guys were talking about:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/e ... 101084.ece
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:19 am

SheWolf wrote:
kellysouthpaw wrote:Even though this would be affecting European dates I am worried it would somehow affect the CA dates too, cause I'm an anxious freak like that :lol:
Ummmm...Kelly, the ashcloud is in Europe, not in the US m'kay? :lol: Okay I see. Maybe there will another eruption at the end of the tour which will prevent FOTC from flying from London to Cali. No worries. I doubt the Euro chicks would mind them sticking around a few extra days. :yawinkle:

Haha, exactly :nod: Though, I guess knowing this ahead of time they would be smart to book a ferry to Europe, then a train to Spain or Italy so they could fly from somewhere not as affected... if it came to that. Again, this would be more than 40 days out so :dunno:

But then again, this looks like it could go on for awhile. But then again ALSO, the news does like to spin everything to make it sound like its the apocalypse :roll:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:38 am

Then again, it could rain and wash all the schmutz away. :?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Then again the cloud could be undamaging to planes. I had read early on that this ash situation has happened twice before where volcanic ash got into planes and they landed safely so is it really a hazard to planes?? :hrm: Thank you for this KLM:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100418/ap_ ... nd_volcano With thousands of stranded passengers all over the globe and money flying out of the airlines pockets you would think they wouldn't just take meteorologists word for it that the air is unstable. This whole thing is really starting to annoy me. You can't just suspend flight indefinitely because of this unproven supposed danger. I trust it will be resolved shortly.

Last night's Maxwell's show was affected because the musical act scheduled to perform after Todd & Eugene was grounded in Wales, so the comediennes extended their acts. I should have asked Todd about opening for FOTC (he was standing next to me for a portion of Eugene's act) but at the time I couldn't be arsed - LOL.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:09 pm

You would think they'd at least test it once or twice on a plane with no passengers on it :?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:16 pm

In the link in my previous post you will see that KLM and others have just done that with no adverse effects at all to the planes.

Also I just watched a video on CNN entitled How Volcanic Ash damages planes. The guy described a particular scenario of how it could damage an engine but then noted that such an occurrence has never happened. :roll:

I keep reading articles trying to better understand this but I simply don't get it. How can a cloud remain above the same location since Wednesday? And if I was flying from NJ to Amsterdam today why would that be a problem (other than that the airport might be closed)? I mean, how much of the airspace traveled on that journey would have a cloud in it, like less than 1%, if that??
90% evil
ImageImage

canattack
Half a shapely halibut

Postby canattack » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:32 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:You would think they'd at least test it once or twice on a plane with no passengers on it :?

They've been doing that all week :?
Flighty est. 2007

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Because the ash is moving around a lot it is very uncertain where and when planes can fly. Some military planes that flew through the ash the other day did not suffer engine failure but they were pretty banged up by the time they landed.

In aviation, and especially with passenger flights, they will always have to err on the side of caution, which in this case is of course annoying but still kind of good. Right?

It is all well and good that some test flights have proved ok but I don't think any of the people, particularly owners of airlines, would like to accept the blame if one of their planes came down.

Having said that; the airports in the North of Norway is now open and planes from Iceland and the US are landing there today, so as long as there is a gap in the ash cloud they will fly :)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

rachel
Half a shapely halibut

Postby rachel » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:59 pm

My mate's cousin was meant to leave Aus last week sometime, but is now stranded there until the 28th April, so hopefully the guys won't be flying for a couple more weeks and cancellations/delays won't be too much of an issue then.
@_raychul

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:04 pm

biscuit wrote:It is all well and good that some test flights have proved ok but I don't think any of the people, particularly owners of airlines, would like to accept the blame if one of their planes came down.

However the article says "European airlines are pushing national regulators to reopen airspace across Europe" so it's up to the national regulators - whoever they are. I'm think this will be a trend that continues and that it will be resolved in a few days. You can't just close airspace indefinitely because of a volcano that could erupt indefinitely.
Last edited by SheWolf on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Haha, well when I posted that SW I was on my iPod and not about to open up some silly link :roll: :lol:

I would say open up the airspace then. I mean once you get out of the air cloud it should clear out the engine (I'm not a mechanic or anything either so I am just assuming this to be true), so it's just getting in and out of it which is the issue.

C'mon, national regulators, get on it!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:11 pm

rachel wrote:hopefully the guys won't be flying for a couple more weeks and cancellations/delays won't be too much of an issue then.
I arrive on May 2 for the May 3 &4 shows. Just speculating but B&J may arrive around that time if not a day or two earlier so we've still got about 2 weeks for this thing to be resolved. I will try to put aside my anxiety and focus on the fact that so much can change in the next 2 weeks.

Silly link, Kelly? Well I never! I thought it was very informative. :P :yawinkle:
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:16 pm

I just meant that opening a link on my ipod touch is a pain in the arse and so I tend to never open links on them. Not to say that your link in particular was silly :P

And the guys will find a way to get there. With now having more than 2 weeks advanced notice of this as a major problem possibly hindering their arrival, they will find an alternative way to get there if they have to. Whether it's flying into Greece/Italy/Spain/France and taking trains/ferries, or what. But they're booked into contracts for these gigs and they have over 2 weeks notice now of these problems. Their last gig is in Wembley on May 25th and their gig in Berkeley is the 28th. There had so better be a solution to this flying mess by then. If they get stranded in Europe because the "powers that be" couldn't figure out some sort of solution more than 6 weeks after this whole thing started, I am going to be :###: :cross:
Last edited by kellysouthpaw on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:44 pm

This is encouraging news. Keep testing and flying in the gaps, guys! :thumb:

It seems that as long as they can fly around the big ash clouds (heh, heh - big ash clouds! :twisted: I liken them to flying around thunderheads to avoid nasty turbulence) they should be okay.

Here's to keeping those positive thoughts going! :D
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “2010 Tour Archives”